HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 2:20 AM
zzzzzzzz

here are a few shots I took today at lunch. I haven't kept up on this project too well aside from checking this thread once in a while, so I don't know much about what's shown, what's old news to you guys, etc.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 3:00 AM
them bones

Nice shots Sekkle!

What the hell happened to the SW corner of CVS there? Why doesn't the glass wrap around to the 1st Ave side? It looks terrible.

EIFS is just nasty. Honestly that CVS building looks like they took an old ugly concrete warehouse and cut some openings into it at the corners and mid-facade.

I don't know, even with the vertical signage bands to be added (which we've seen no physical evidence of yet), something went horribly wrong with this building.

Maybe it's just me being hyper-critical. As an architect I have a notorious tendency to do that.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 9:35 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^You're not, they did about as bad of a job possible. Its really amazingly bad, its very Arizona Center-ish, just grey instead of tan.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 3:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
^You're not, they did about as bad of a job possible. Its really amazingly bad, its very Arizona Center-ish, just grey instead of tan.
Don't insult the Arizona Center.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 3:35 PM

The difference being I was excited about the AZ center when it first opened. I still think it's more attractive that CS with the landscaping.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 4:46 PM

You guys are nuts thinking AZ Center is better than Cityscape. Have you guys actually Bern out downtown and walked around the project?

To me AZ Center feels, because it is, an open roof mall. It is completely enclosed...you don't see pedestrians passing by, you don't see cars passing by...it is it's own environment.
Cityscape on the other hand is much more open tom the surrounding downtown and actually has street frontage with retail entrances right off of the surrounding streets.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
You guys are nuts thinking AZ Center is better than Cityscape. Have you guys actually Bern out downtown and walked around the project?

To me AZ Center feels, because it is, an open roof mall. It is completely enclosed...you don't see pedestrians passing by, you don't see cars passing by...it is it's own environment.
Cityscape on the other hand is much more open tom the surrounding downtown and actually has street frontage with retail entrances right off of the surrounding streets.
Don't get me wrong, CS is definitely an improvement to DT Phx for sure and I'm glad it was built. Both projects have major shortcomings though. I like the landscaping of AZ Center much better, but I like CS' location and the visibility/better interaction with the street (although it is inward facing too).

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 5:01 PM
BANNED

Tenants breathing life into CityScape
Phoenix Business Journal - by Jan Buchholz

Office tenants are starting to move into the long-awaited CityScape mixed-use development in downtown Phoenix, and two new retail tenants have been announced.

Five Guys Burgers and Fries, a national casual food chain that already has four locations in the Valley, will take 2,500 square feet and is expected to open this summer. Par Exsalonce, a locally owned salon and day spa with one location in DC Ranch in Scottsdale, is taking 4,000 square feet and is set to open at the same time.

Several new tenants already have settled into the office tower at the southeast corner of Washington Street and Central.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 5:19 PM

We already knew about both of those tenants from permits and Recorder records months ago.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 5:30 PM

Here is the rest of that article with tenant opening dates at the end...

Quote:
Tenants breathing life into CityScape
Phoenix Business Journal - by Jan Buchholz

Office tenants are starting to move into the long-awaited

CityScape mixed-use development in downtown Phoenix, and two new retail tenants have been announced.

Five Guys Burgers and Fries, a national casual food chain that already has four locations in the Valley, will take 2,500 square feet and is expected to open this summer. Par Exsalonce, a locally owned salon and day spa with one location in DC Ranch in Scottsdale, is taking 4,000 square feet and is set to open at the same time.

Several new tenants already have settled into the office tower at the southeast corner of Washington Street and Central

Avenue. They include law firm Ballard Spahr LLP, which leased 35,000 square feet, and Fidelity National Title Insurance Co., which leased 5,000 square feet.

Ballard Spahr, which is based in Philadelphia, is expanding its footprint by 10,000 square feet.

“Ballard wants to expand significantly in the Western U.S., and it was decided that Phoenix would be the hub of growth,” said Karen McConnell, a partner at Ballard Spahr. “We love our new space.”

Other tenants include RED Development LLC, the developer of CityScape, which has moved into its 16,000-square-foot digs; law firm Jennings Strouss & Salmon PLC, which is moving in this week to 60,000 square feet; and law firm Squire Sanders & Dempsey LLP, which will occupy 72,000 square feet by June 10.

“We’re here. We’re real. We’re in sight every time they pan the cameras from US Airways arena,” said Keith Earnest, vice president of development for RED.

About 200,000 square feet remain to be leased, and Earnest expects more interest to be generated when the retail portion comes online, creating a gathering place with retail and multiple lunch options.

“This is going to make everyone in downtown a whole lot happier,” he said.

A designed segue from the office tower to the retail space is a pedestrian bridge over Central Avenue. The bridge will be completed by the end of May, linking the second floor of the office building with a substantially landscaped, 50,000-square-foot open space and retail spaces. It is expected to open the first week of July.

“It’s going to have monumental trees, grassy areas and interactive water features,” said Jeff Moloznik, development manager for RED.

Although the official grand opening for the retail portion is slated for October, several retailers and restaurants will be open before then. The 800-seat Stand Up Live comedy club also projects an October opening.

The first retail opening will be a CVS drugstore in mid-July, taking 13,000 square feet. The largest retail tenant, the Lucky Strike bowling alley, will take up 18,000 square feet. It will open in late July.

With only 14,400 of the total 180,000 retail square footage left to lease, Moloznik said he’s hoping to land a bookstore.

“We’re still trying to do that. We’re not giving up on it,” he said.

The lion’s share of retail tenants will open this fall, though Gold’s Gym has been operational since May 1.

“This is the first Gold’s Gym Elite club,” said Tom Slavin, the general manager.

The club includes state-of-the-art exercise equipment, a cardio theater, an upscale lounge, permanent lockers and laundry service.

Slavin would not say how many people have joined, but said the number is growing.

“We’ve got a good mix of workers and people who are driving from 3 miles out to come here,” he said. “They want to be part of something new.”

Gold’s picks up the tab for underground parking with membership packages starting at $40 a month.
Coming to CityScape

Tenant (in sq. feet) Space Opening

CVS Pharmacy 13,000 Mid-July

Designer District 3,000 Mid-July

Republic of Couture 3,000 Mid-July

Lucky Strike 18,000 Late July

Urban Outfitters 11,000 October

Stand Up Live 17,000 October

Oakville Grocery 10,000 October

Press Coffee 900 October

Alliance Bank of Arizona 26,000 October

Taqueria 2,500 November

Noodle 900 November

LGO Public House 3,000 December

The Breakfast Club 3,200 December

Steak & Chophouse 7,200 December

Source: RED Development LLC

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 7:24 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
A bookstore would be terrific, especially if it was something different than a Barnes and Noble or Borders, as it would be more of a unique attraction. A "Changing Hands" branch location would seem like a perfect fit to me, you know CenPho people who go way out of their way to support the local guy would be all over that.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 7:26 PM

Quote:
A bookstore would be terrific, especially if it was something different than a Barnes and Noble or Borders, as it would be more of a unique attraction. A "Changing Hands" branch location would seem like a perfect fit to me, you know CenPho people who go way out of their way to support the local guy would be all over that.
They have a twitter. I got into a debate with them about Amazon not paying taxes so I'm not on good terms with them...but they were pretty responsive.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 7:32 PM
them bones

Once upon a time there was a bookstore in the Arizona Center...a B Dalton...

I think that was the last downtown bookstore (aside from the architectural bookstore that was briefly at Central and McDowell prior to that heinous CVS going in). Changing Hands would be marvelous, but they'd have to give them a big break on the rent.

I always reserve final judgement until I can see a finished project for myself and on many occasions I've been quite suprised. I'll probably be over there later this summer to take a peek and walk around and obsess over the details (or lack thereof).

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
We already knew about both of those tenants from permits and Recorder records months ago.
Well, maybe you did. It was on The Business Journal website this morning and thought I'd share. Take the lead my friend

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 8:27 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Once upon a time there was a bookstore in the Arizona Center...a B Dalton...

I think that was the last downtown bookstore (aside from the architectural bookstore that was briefly at Central and McDowell prior to that heinous CVS going in). Changing Hands would be marvelous, but they'd have to give them a big break on the rent.
Poisoned Pen had a store at 215 E. Grant Street that closed in 2007.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 10:17 PM
BANNED

I wonder why they covered up the beer & wine signs... Change their minds?

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 1:34 AM

I saw that today too, John. I wonder if they are sealing them or painting something around them or something...

I went up in tower #1 to the Fidellity offices and checked out the scene from above. Looks cool, and it definitely looks like there will be some sort of green patio or something. The recessed area is right for either some sort of big planting area or maybe a water feature.

They also moved the safety fencing back. It makes the mesa nicer with even the second story closer.

They added even more trees today and are still building more planting containers. I counted four more just today big enough for trees.

It is kinda cool, each day now a few small details gets added here and there. I know some people are not liking it, but you know when you clear a room to paint or redo it? It always looks bare and small and boring. Then you start bringing in the furnature, rugs, stuff for the walls, and other personal stuff. All of a sudden it looks so much nicer than you planned. I am starting to get that feeling with Cityscape. (So bring on the signs, lighting, trash cans, more planters, more plants, tables, umbrellas, music, kiosks, windows of stuff, railings, awnings, pavers, water features, moving escalators, elevator, and more.......)

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 1:39 AM

Did you just get excited about trash cans?

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 3:10 AM

It's a fetish I share with few. LOL You should see how I react to fire hydrants, ash trays, and dumpsters.

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
The Arizona Center is much nicer design wise than that drab building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest