HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:56 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Graffiti (sanctioned or not)

This is the place to talk about graffiti.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This is the place to talk about graffiti.
Great idea! Unfortunately I think the topic has been beaten to death. Possibly with a baseball bat.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:59 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Great idea! Unfortunately I think the topic has been beaten to death. Possibly with a baseball bat.
Yes, but it gives me a good excuse to delete stuff if people keep spamming the projects and construction general thread!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:00 AM

This aint your first rodeo eh

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:03 AM

Well, I guess to move this conversation along, what ARE people's thoughts on the MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple building on Gottingen? I haven't been able to find any good pictures, but it's the one that, for a long time, seemed like the worst possible choice for an architect's office. Huge blank cinderblock wall, weird windows. Now there's a mural on that blank wall, and the building as a whole looks quite different as a result. Thoughts?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:17 AM
Honored Member

Maybe we should have a thread for murals. I am all in favour of murals, not at all for graffiti.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:25 PM

While I'm opposed to graffiti, because it adorns private/public property and is usually not wanted by the owner (maybe some do); I can appreciate the visual presentation. About fifteen years ago before the waterfront trail was built in Dartmouth I walked the tracks from the woodside ferry to downtown Dartmouth, pretty boring overall, until i got to the warehouses by Dartmouth Cove which were covered by huge graffiti pieces including a panorama of both sides of the harbour. I had to stop and look, it was incredible. Where an owner does not want such expressions on their property, that should be respected; but I own my property and work hard to maintain it. Although i would hope that I wouldn't 'go for the bat', it's hard to sometimes know what folks will do out of frustration.
ps the MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple building is one ugly building; I have not seen the new addition to the outside

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues