HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Mar 12, 2009, 3:21 AM

50 deg

well if you stay in such place you will feel OK after some time and at night with you will forget the hard day , if you are working outdoor , will be hard to stay long , if this near the sea so will be better plus you will have a nice time watching Tan Girls , short dresses etc.
I like it

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 2:52 AM
Ex Houstonian

Never been in that hot of weather but I used to work at a ranch in south texas and some days it would get up to about 112 degrees f.

Its not that bad though because the humidity was low. Its much worse in Houston when its only about 95 and the humidity is then 100%. That sucks real bad.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 5:42 AM

I think the hottest outside air temp I've felt is 40C. But I've been inside a walk in temp chamber soaking at 60C. Had to run in and swap some equipment modules.
The heat really does slam you. You can't breathe, the heat on your face is claustrophobic, you need gloves to handle everything. I was only inside for 60 seconds tops and I was soaked with sweat when I came out.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 11:43 PM
Go Chiefs!

The hottest I've experienced is around 40C(104F) in Sofia 2 years ago.
That was hot...unless you're in the water

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 4:33 AM

I've experienced 48C in Abu Simbel.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 2:19 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

The hottest I've experienced in direct heat is in the low 40s C. But if you include Head Index readings, then I experienced about 52 C in Chicago's 1995 heat wave. It was absolutely miserable, even though the actual temp peaked at about 41C, the Heat Index reading of about 51C really did more accurately the way it felt. I worked in the Sears Tower at the time, and both in the morning and coming back from lunch I'd feel sweat just pouring off me just from being outside, but the A/C in the Tower is so kick-ass that I'd walk into the lobby and felt instantly refreshed and I'd be dry and comfortable within minutes even on the hottest days.

The previous summer, in 1994, I worked construction in Boise, Idaho, and we had a long string of 32+ C days, peaking at about the same 41C, but with a heat index of only about 38 C because of the much lower humity. I actually liked the Idaho weather for the most part, because it was dry enough that as long as I drank enough water and salts I was fine (my blue workshirts were often white with salt by the end of the day).

There's a definite difference between dry and humid air at high temps.

I looked up the record for heat indexes:

In Dhahran, Saudi Arabia on July 8, 2003, the dewpoint was 95 °F while the temperature was 108 °F. The heat index at that time was 172 °F (78°C).

Last edited by emathias; Mar 24, 2009 at 2:24 AM. Reason: Adding record info

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 4:29 PM
See ya down under, mates

I've felt 40 in Las Vegas and it was okay, but 30 in Vancouver where I live is unbearable.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 11:47 PM
I like this much better

I've seen about 130F with 60%+ humidity in the middle east.

That. Sucks.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 3:46 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Hottest day in 2009 at my home-away-from home northeast of Baghdad was 127 F, 53 C.

49 C I can handle. At 50 C, you step outside, and your skin actually feels like it is burning instantly. I had the wild idea of wearing a polo shirt that day. I walked about 100 meters and I turned around and changed into long sleeves immediately. The sun just burned.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
Just curious if anyone here has experienced 50 deg C ( 122 deg F ) outdoors. What is that heat like? Does it feel like your pants are burning and shoes are frying? Describe that level of heat. Do you constantly need a shower? Does the wind burn your face?

Is it hot at night too?
I have. I visited Marrakech in 2008 on a day trip from Casablanca. Because it's inland there was no cooling sea breeze. It was a dry heat so there was not a lot of sweating but I still needed a constant supply of water. The problem was that the water warmed up very quickly. It was difficult because the air was so warm that breathing was a bit uncomfortable but the lack of humidity balanced that out. The main thing I remember is that it was relentless. As for burning, plenty of high-factor sun block did the trick and applying it more than once in the day was easy due to the lack of sweat.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 10:44 PM
Getting sick of the NCF

Tell me, has anyone actually tried to fry an egg on the sidewalk or the hood of their car in that kind of heat?

Ive felt +42 in Saskatchewan once. It sucked real bad lol. I dont remember the date, in fact, its like the only reason I remember that trip

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 4:09 AM

I'm a mailman in Ottawa and I have to say, 40+ is always brutal. You're walking with all this mail on your back, eventually you start to feel the effects. You start to feel smothered and tight-chested. Anything above 30 is not pleasant since our humidity here is often high. The straps on my mailbag are stained white from salt haha, as are my hats.

Never felt anything above 42/107, I imagine the Middle-East must be insane.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 4:26 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

My internal thermostat is quite low - I sweat at about 70 degrees. I was made for cold weather.

If ever I found myself in a situation with that kind of heat I'd probably search for the nearest, quickest means of killing myself.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I looked up the record for heat indexes:

In Dhahran, Saudi Arabia on July 8, 2003, the dewpoint was 95 °F while the temperature was 108 °F. The heat index at that time was 172 °F (78°C).
The. HELL. How do you deal with that?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 9:51 PM
Editor

54C in Death Valley was enough for me to know that I don't care for that kind of heat!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa