HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 10:02 PM
i ain't no bubba

If the link works, here are pictures from ajc.com of Tribute Lofts at the corner of Boulevard and Freedom Parkway...incredible building!
http://lpe.ajc.com/gallery/view/busi...707/0713lofts/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2007, 11:55 PM

Castleberry Point Pics

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 12:29 PM

Going back to the No Mas discussion, I took a friend last night and he thought it was the best Mexican food he has ever had. That place is awesome. Next stop will be Wasabi, has anyone been there and can comment on the food?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 6:00 PM

Went to the Castleberry Hill Neighborhood meeting last night and learned the that Railside Lofts has all permitting done and they are about to start on phase one. This will be on Peters St in the area across from where Haynes intersects.

Also, there is a new coffeeshop being built in the Fair St/Walker St intersection. Looks to be be a "arty" type place with 2 levels, and internet cafe, mags, etc. Also, one of the managers of the Cheetah is opening up a blues bar and restaraunt at 177 Peters St. They have already spend over 150k remodeling the building. There will be valet parking and an outside deck on the top floor.

They was also another ground-breaking announced (i can't remember the exact location or name) - they are having an open house at their corporate offices to kick everything off. Supposed to start end of August.

As for the person who asked about Wasabi - its great. My financee and I eat there all the time.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfe71 View Post
Went to the Castleberry Hill Neighborhood meeting last night and learned the that Railside Lofts has all permitting done and they are about to start on phase one.
We have AUDC approval, but we'll still need to go trough the building permit process. I don't think we plan on breaking ground until fall - September, if I'm not mistaken.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 2:00 PM

@bwolfe71

Was the other new construction Artist Square Condo's?
http://www.artistsquarecondos.com/

Did they mention where this would pop up?

I was on my way to the meeting and then had to run and pick up a friend stuck at the airport, got stuck in traffic, and missed it

I made him buy me dinner at No Mas to make up for it. I'll definitely be at the next one.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 5:05 PM

The street presence of those artists square condos should be illegal.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 5:20 PM

ugh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
I'd like to 2nd that comment. It's ridiculous.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 6:20 PM

Yes - it was Artist Square, thanks for the reminder.

Mayhem - How do you know about the street presence? I don't see anywhere in the renderings where it shows this.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2007, 8:45 PM

Ok I'm an idiot it shows that it will be between Chapel and Nelson right on their website.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2007, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Agreed! This is not the suburbs

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 2:40 PM

Quote:
i dunno. look at their homepage. people of all races are attracted to this place. both men and women as well.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 2:50 PM
i ain't no bubba

For anyone wanting to form their opinion about some of the Castleberry Hill projects from something other than a rendering, you may want to consider tonight's Art Walk. Castleberry Point and Artists Square are joining with several galleries in holding an open house from 6-9pm.

http://www.castleberryhill.org/artstroll.html

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 3:12 PM
Google Steffen Thomas

From gritty to glamorous, DeKalb Ave. on fast track to resurgence
By CHANDLER BROWN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/19/07

Dryden Driggers is from metro Atlanta, so she had a pretty good idea of where she wanted to live after graduating from college.
"A lot of my friends are in this area," said Driggers, a grad student at the University of West Georgia.
The 626 DeKalb Avenue luxury apartment complex is just one of numerous high-end developments sprouting up next to rail lines and the overhead MARTA line. DeKalb Avenue, long a rough-around-the-edges industrial artery, now has condos starting in the mid-$100,000s.
Dryden Driggers' flat at the 626 DeKalb Avenue apartments has spacious rooms, walk-in closets and high-speed Internet access. The complex exemplifies the chic new face of the thoroughfare.
The area Driggers is referring to, a stretch of DeKalb Avenue between Atlanta and Decatur, is undergoing a resurgence. Once a blighted area known for graffiti and beggars, it's now home, or soon will be, to at least a dozen high-end condominiums and apartments. Condos start in the mid-$100,000s and can cost nearly a half-million dollars.
"It's coming back to life," Bridget Driggers said on a recent afternoon as she helped her daughter move into her new two-bedroom flat at the 626 DeKalb Avenue apartments.
Like other new housing along DeKalb Avenue, 626 features spacious rooms, walk-in closets and high-speed Internet access. It also features a lighted pool surrounded by lush gardens and waterfalls.
It's a stark contrast to the graffiti-covered train trestle at DeKalb Avenue and Krog Street, just a few hundred feet away from 626. Such sights once were common along the mostly industrial thoroughfare, which runs parallel to two rail lines. But as condos and apartments go up, slowly the graffiti and other eyesores are disappearing.
"I think it's great. Any time you can get more people living in an area, the better off you are," said DeKalb County Commissioner Jeff Rader, whose district includes the north side of DeKalb Avenue, where most of the new development is.
However, with the construction boom, Rader figures, will come changes to DeKalb Avenue, a three- and four-lane highway that many commuters to downtown Atlanta use as a sometimes less congested alternative to Ponce de Leon Avenue.
"More and more people are going toward a more pleasant street, and we'll see an effort to improve the streetscape and make it more of a boulevard instead of an arterial" road, Rader said.
He said that Decatur, Atlanta and DeKalb County — portions of DeKalb Avenue fall within those jurisdictions — would have to work together to come up with a development plan for the road, and a way to pay for it. He said he didn't know of any such plans in the works currently.
The road's resurgence is also fueled by new mixed-use development on intersecting Moreland Avenue, said Brad Addicks, a manager for Waterford Homes, which developed the Townhomes at Candler Park on DeKalb Avenue.
The Edgewood Retail District on Moreland Avenue features a Kroger, Target, Lowe's, Best Buy and dozens of smaller stores less than a mile off DeKalb Avenue.
"That's really helping change the landscape of that area," Addicks said, noting that many buyers were attracted to his development because it's close to a grocery store and other shopping outlets.
All but three of the 43 Candler Park townhomes — which range from $200,000 to the high $400,000s — have been sold, Addicks said.
DeKalb Avenue "is not what it used to be," Addicks said. "It's really turning around."

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 6:15 PM

Does anyone know what GA Power is doing on Ponce Pl…about ½ mile before Chipotle?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 1:42 PM

Sales Hit Half-Way Mark at Renovated Studioplex
By Gina Kenny

ATLANTA-A joint venture renovating the historic Studioplex building has sold half of the 130 condominium units and has closed on 20 of the units. The 160,000-sf building, located on Auburn between Edgewood and Irwin avenues, is being renovated by a partnership between locally based companies Columbia Residential and Orinda Corp. and the Historic District Development Corp. The partnership is spending approximately $4 million on renovating the building, says Dillon Baynes, president of Orinda Corp.

Studioplex, in the heart of the Old Fourth Ward, was constructed in 1906 and was originally a cotton warehouse. In 1998, Historic District Development Corp. converted the building to apartments and the joint venture was formed in January to convert it to condominiums, Baynes says. The building will have 145,000 sf of loft units with 112 loft residences and 18 loft offices. The average loft size is 1,100 with units ranging from 760 sf to 2,100 sf. The units are being sold for approximately $200 per sf, Baynes tells GlobeSt.com.

The units have 12-foot to 17-foot ceilings and exposed brick walls. Some of the renovations to the units included the addition of granite countertops and stainless steel appliances. Renovations to the property include new landscaping, “significant exterior shell improvements,” doors and windows and the addition of a rooftop deck, he says. The units are being marketed by the Marketing Directors with David Patton/Prudential Georgia Realty.

Businesses to be located in the building include Dencity Architects, Hilltop Design and Sterling Investments. “We have an eclectic mix of design types and real estate and financial types who are more entrepreneurial in nature,” Baynes says. The building also has 28 retail studios for artwork to be produced, displayed and sold.

Studioplex is near Interstates 75, 85 and 20, the King Center, the proposed Atlanta Beltline rail system and the bars and shops on Highland Avenue. It is also within walking distance from the home where Martin Luther King Jr. was born. The Historic District Development Corp. is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to provide affordable housing and to preserve and revitalize the Martin Luther King Jr. Historic District. The project is part of plans to redevelop the district. The neighborhood has evolved into a live, work and play district.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2007, 1:41 PM

Studioplex looks great. What turned me off to them though was the fact that all units have 1 bathroom.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 6:35 PM

More Castleberry news

New lofts expand artsy district downtown

By JULIE B. HAIRSTON
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/27/07

A craggy patch of barren urban land will soon become the site for a marriage between the city core's edgy, artsy heart and its sophisticated uptown evolution.

Poised on a rise defined by the intersections of Centennial Olympic Park Drive, Nelson Street and Chapel Street, Castleberry Point is the first new mixed-use development in Atlanta's premier loft district. The 108-unit project created by Castleberry Hill pioneer developers Bruce Gallman and Jerry Miller will overlook Philips Arena, the Georgia Dome and Centennial Olympic Park.

Its vantage point has already proved a strong draw for buyers, with the developers reporting contracts on more than half of the units.

"It's the first of its kind in that neighborhood," said Brenda Isaac, 56, who bought a two-bedroom, two-bath unit on the top floor for $299,900. "The strategic place where it sits gives it great city views."

Castleberry Point, now under construction, creates a gateway between downtown's new entertainment district and Castleberry Hill's established creative community.

Gallman, who created Castleberry's first lofts in 1982, noted the neighborhood, initially an urban colony of artists, craftsmen and adventurous young professionals, now has 1,500 residents. With that many people, the area is ripe for an infusion of retail activity that the ground floor of Castleberry Point will accommodate, he said.

Miller and Gallman worked closely with neighborhood residents and city officials to make Castleberry Point the kind of development that would reflect, enhance and serve the landmark district.

"Everybody wanted retail on the ground floor," Gallman said. "That's what makes a community walkable."

A number of Castleberry Point lofts, priced from the low $200,000s to more than $750,000 for units ranging in size from 748 square feet to more than 2,500 square feet, sold before the project broke ground earlier this summer.

Currently, 57 of 108 units are under contract, Gallman said.

Downtown officials are excited about the project, too.

"It's got some really interesting architecture that makes it fit in with that artsy heart [of the city]," said A.J. Robinson, president of Central Atlanta Progress and the Atlanta Downtown Improvement District. "And the retail also makes it quite interesting."

Castleberry Point already has a commitment from Apres Diem restaurant. Gallman said negotiations also are well along for a salon, a personal trainer, a pet store and a grocery/deli in its street-level spaces.

The availability of restaurants, entertainment and other amenities within walking distance was a strong draw for empty-nesters Kevin and Diana Reis Sheldon, 51 and 53, respectively. The couple plans to leave the six-bedroom Alpharetta home where they have reared their nearly grown, blended brood of four to live in a two-bedroom, 1,800-square-foot loft when the project is completed next year.

"We think of ourselves as city people," said Diana, creative director for Diana Reis Designs, a marketing and advertising firm. "I'm from D.C. and my husband lived in Manhattan. We want to be someplace where we can walk around."

Gallman said Castleberry Point is benefitting from the new impetus for intown living and the migration of some empty-nesters back to the inner city. Most of the earlier buyers in Castleberry Hill were young singles or couples, he said.

Jerry Miller, Gallman's partner in the project, said loft living has evolved along with its market with Castleberry Point incorporating the amenities and design elements experienced buyers have come to expect in a high-density project.

"The level of sophistication and number of amenities have ratcheted up," Miller said. "I see a real range, a whole gamut of people coming into the market now."

The common elements he sees in loft shoppers is an inclination to creativity and a yen for engaging social activities. Some of the empty-nesters now returning to the loft district are those who once lived among the loft pioneers and migrated to the suburbs to raise families, Miller said.

Inside a facade that mimicks the sturdy midrise character of nearby storefronts, factories and warehouses, Castleberry Point will feature an inner courtyard, a rooftop pool, a fitness center and community clubhouse.

Isaac initially bought her unit as an investment, but found the promised lifestyle too compelling to resist. A retiree involved in international humanitarian work, Isaac is looking forward to not having to worry about who will mow her grass or pick up her mail when she travels.

"I'm gone a lot and it doesn't make sense to stay in this [Inman Park] place with all its upkeep when I can have a turnkey lifestyle," Isaac said.

City officials are encouraged by the level of success and acceptance Castleberry Point has enjoyed. They are hoping it will spread east through the new Railroad District and west toward Northside Drive to expand downtown's amenities and population.

"This is not unbridled growth. This is evolution," said Atlanta City Councilman Kwanza Hall, whose district includes Castleberry Hill. "It's like watching your kid grow from a child to a teen. And there's more to come."

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:44 PM

Does anyone know what's being developed at the SE corner of Roswell Rd and Windsor Pkwy? Hopefully it's something a little better than the Popeye's accross the street.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwolfe71 View Post
"The level of sophistication and number of amenities have ratcheted up," Miller said. "I see a real range, a whole gamut of people coming into the market now."
A friend and I stopped by a bar in Castleberry Hill a few weeks ago and we were the only old (and white and unhip) people there. No problem as far as I'm concerned although I could tell people were staring at us and I had the sense, maybe incorrectly, that our presence was regarded as peculiar and possibly less than welcome. I guess I was anticipating more of that "whole gamut of people" atmosphere that Mr. Miller is referring to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta