HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 8:27 AM

Why Isn't the Empire State Building Respected Anymore?

Don't people realize that it's probably the most important building in world history? It really does symbolize New York and America in general. It's our link to the culture of the Roaring 20's and defines the early 20th century. Every other skyscraper project undertaken in the 20th century pales in comparison because they were just attempts to build something bigger and more innovative. The ESB is one of a kind.

I always make it a point to visit at least once a year and I never felt that way about any other building. When my grandparents would tell me stories of New York in that era when I was a kid, I'd always ask them about it. It's such a powerful feeling to go there and feel connected to the great industrialism of the early 20th century and say to yourself THIS was the start of modern America right here.

If America is in shambles in a few thousand years like Ancient Rome and Egypt, and I could only pick one landmark I'd want future civilizations to get a better idea of what America was like, I'd easily want it to be the Empire State!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 10:09 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
You appear to be working from a faulty premise. What proof have you that the Empire State Building is no longer respected?
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 10:24 AM
Come As You Are

I liked the old WTC more.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 4:21 PM
Ex Houstonian

What are you talking about? The Empire State Building will always be respected, its one of the greatest skyscrapers in the whole world and even as other buildings surpass it in height in NYC, The ESB will always be a symbol for NYC.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 5:35 PM

Yeah, for sure a false premise.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture