HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Those are amazing revenues for single stores to pull in.
I wish Calgary had a downtown Costco like Vancouver has, but I have heard that the Vancouver store has under-performed expectations since opening, so they wouldn't risk a downtown location in a market with half the population.
it doesn't help that downtown location that its all pay parking, a real deterrent - i occasionally see someone lugging a box of giant packages onto the train but not very often, costco shopping and transit don't go well together

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 5:07 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
it doesn't help that downtown location that its all pay parking, a real deterrent - i occasionally see someone lugging a box of giant packages onto the train but not very often, costco shopping and transit don't go well together
I was at the Midtown Market Co-op the other day and the clerk was pulling grapes out of the magazine rack. She was telling me they have a terrible time with grazers who eat their way around the store and leave. If they are confronted, they stuff the grapes in the magazines or whatever and leave. It is hard to make them pay for what they have swallowed!
So I was thinking a downtown Costco wouldn't have that problem because access is restricted to their membership which keeps the undesirables out.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 7:27 AM

no problem with that sort of thing - just having to pay $$$ to park to shop @ costco whereas you can park for free at any of the other costco stores which are probably 10-15 mins away by car and its not really the kind of place you pop in to grab a few little items and can walk away - you need a car to lug off most of what you buy there

------

Target to open Calgary Signal Hill store in summer 2013

$10-$11 million to be invested in remodelling store

By Mario Toneguzzi, Calgary Herald January 26, 2012

CALGARY — Target Corporation confirmed Thursday that Signal Hill in Calgary will be home to a future Target location with the store opening in the summer of 2013.

As previously announced, Target purchased the leasehold interest in the Signal Hill site, which is currently operated by Zellers Inc.

Target plans to open 125 to 135 stores in Canada, the majority of which will open in 2013. Approximately $10 million to $11 million will be invested to remodel each facility to bring the full Target brand experience to Canadian communities, said the company.

Target said the Signal Hill store will employ approximately 150-200 team members and hiring for store team members will begin in 2012.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Target+...#ixzz1kdpBx6SY

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 7:41 AM
not a NIMBY

I'm sick of Target already.

New farmers market of local enterprises opening April 28.
Possibly a great location, although everything else there has failed before.
calgarywestcountrymarket

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 7:39 PM
Here and There

Yay. Target.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 1:02 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Does anyone know of where I could find information like # of retail spots in a particular neighbourhood? I don't know if zoning would help since that might count 1 lot with 5 retail bays as "one".

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I agree,

I think the max retail bay width would go a long way to reducing this, rather than regulating what goes in the retail (as some might suggest)

i.e. The building must have retail at ground level, and a single tenant cannot occupy more than 25' of frontage, with allowances for shared elevators to the higher floors to allow for mutli-level tenants (e.g. banks)

That said I think the regulations should be flexible enough that if someone comes up with an innovative idea/use it can be accomadated within them, or if a proposal is truly great, it can get bonusing (less/more parking, more height, etc.).
You can regulate use if you want, other countries do. After all shopping malls manage their tenant mix to keep their centre healthy.

In the UK, every council maps it's town centre and designates different streets primary or secondary retail. In the prime pitch, councils restrict non comparison retail uses, so there will be a limited number of pubs, banks, estate agents etc. In secondary streets rules are looser. Buildings have permission for certain type of uses and if a different type of occupier wants to rent a space they need to have the right classification or the landlord needs to apply for a change of use classification.

So comparison retail (fashion, jewelry etc), is A1. A2 is financial services, A3 is cafes and restaurants, A4 are bars/pubs, A5 hot food takeaways, Suis generis is the rest such as launderettes, car dealerships etc.

Many out of town units have restrictions on what goods they can sell, bulky goods only (DIY, furniture, electrical goods etc). Recently new classications have been put in place to control the spread of betting shops. Previous deregulation has allowed them out of secondary streets and allowed to have clear windows.

Non of this is set in stone, it's rare for a change of use application to be turned down on a secondary street. As usual how strict a council depends on an area, the richer it is the more choosy they feel they can be. Poor towns prefer occupied units to empty ones, consequently they don't really protect very much.

As time goes on new in town malls are built the prime pitch changes , with different streets rising and falling in popularity. Local Plan reviews need to map these changes.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 8:28 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan3 View Post
You can regulate use if you want, other countries do. After all shopping malls manage their tenant mix to keep their centre healthy.

In the UK, every council maps it's town centre and designates different streets primary or secondary retail. In the prime pitch, councils restrict non comparison retail uses, so there will be a limited number of pubs, banks, estate agents etc. In secondary streets rules are looser. Buildings have permission for certain type of uses and if a different type of occupier wants to rent a space they need to have the right classification or the landlord needs to apply for a change of use classification.

So comparison retail (fashion, jewelry etc), is A1. A2 is financial services, A3 is cafes and restaurants, A4 are bars/pubs, A5 hot food takeaways, Suis generis is the rest such as launderettes, car dealerships etc.

Many out of town units have restrictions on what goods they can sell, bulky goods only (DIY, furniture, electrical goods etc). Recently new classications have been put in place to control the spread of betting shops. Previous deregulation has allowed them out of secondary streets and allowed to have clear windows.

Non of this is set in stone, it's rare for a change of use application to be turned down on a secondary street. As usual how strict a council depends on an area, the richer it is the more choosy they feel they can be. Poor towns prefer occupied units to empty ones, consequently they don't really protect very much.

As time goes on new in town malls are built the prime pitch changes , with different streets rising and falling in popularity. Local Plan reviews need to map these changes.
I think this prevents some good things from happening though, namely having specific districts for specific types of shopping, ie a high end shopping distrct with a mix of high end clothing and other retail, the exact mix is something that the market would likely solve, not to mention this is done in calgary to some extent (there's about a three block section of 17th Ave SW that is maxed out for the number of resturants on it)

I think you'd see a huge backlash against regulating uses that closely, not to mention the huge increase in regulatory burden for both owners and government

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 6:16 AM
Realtor

Chinook Centre is building a 2nd escalator set from P1 to P2 in their underground parkade.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 3:51 PM

Does Chinook Centre own the land that the gas station is on? If so, I sure wish they would boot them out and use that plot for something more attractive than a gas station! It's pretty difficult accessing the site anyways!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:01 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I think this prevents some good things from happening though, namely having specific districts for specific types of shopping, ie a high end shopping distrct with a mix of high end clothing and other retail, the exact mix is something that the market would likely solve, not to mention this is done in calgary to some extent (there's about a three block section of 17th Ave SW that is maxed out for the number of resturants on it)
I think you'd see a huge backlash against regulating uses that closely, not to mention the huge increase in regulatory burden for both owners and government
There is no restriction on the number of restaurants on 17th Avenue, only bars.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:04 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Does Chinook Centre own the land that the gas station is on? If so, I sure wish they would boot them out and use that plot for something more attractive than a gas station! It's pretty difficult accessing the site anyways!
Yup, they do. The entire block is one parcel.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 8:48 PM

Not sure when it happened but I just noticed that Farmer Jones Used Cars in Inglewood is no more. I have to admit it was a bit of an eyesore, but nevertheless still a landmark.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=9th+Av...30.41,,1,-6.66

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 8:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Not sure when it happened but I just noticed that Farmer Jones Used Cars in Inglewood is no more. I have to admit it was a bit of an eyesore, but nevertheless still a landmark.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=9th+Av...30.41,,1,-6.66
gone only in the last week or so.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 9:28 PM
not a NIMBY

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Thanks for digging that up and posting it Jimby. I'm suprised they had only been there for 30 years.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 2:44 PM

Sears Canada closing Chinook Centre store

Vancouver Pacific Centre and Ottawa Rideau Centre also closing

By Mario Toneguzzi, Calgary Herald March 2, 2012 7:39 AM

Sears Canada announced Friday it will be closing its Chinook Centre location this year along with stores at Vancouver Pacific Centre and Ottawa Rideau Centre.

The company announced it will return to commercial real estate developer and landlord, The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited, the three stores within shopping centres the developer owns and manages, for $170 million.

The transaction is expected to close on or around April 20, said the company.

Sears plans to exit all three locations by Oct. 31.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Sears+C...#ixzz1nyFijjmF

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 2:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Sears Canada closing Chinook Centre store

Vancouver Pacific Centre and Ottawa Rideau Centre also closing

By Mario Toneguzzi, Calgary Herald March 2, 2012 7:39 AM

Sears Canada announced Friday it will be closing its Chinook Centre location this year along with stores at Vancouver Pacific Centre and Ottawa Rideau Centre.

The company announced it will return to commercial real estate developer and landlord, The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited, the three stores within shopping centres the developer owns and manages, for $170 million.

The transaction is expected to close on or around April 20, said the company.

Sears plans to exit all three locations by Oct. 31.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Sears+C...#ixzz1nyFijjmF
Interesting. I wonder if there is another Anchor store willing to go in (And if so, what? Holt? I can't think of another likely candidate) of if Chinook will re-develop it into a new section for stores.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
Interesting. I wonder if there is another Anchor store willing to go in (And if so, what? Holt? I can't think of another likely candidate) of if Chinook will re-develop it into a new section for stores.
Or I'd wonder if it may redevelop it period. Tear that portion down, build more parkade under it and then rebuild 2 levels of mall retail plus offices above?

As for another potential anchor, no idea there either. Its too large a space for almost anyone else who isn't already in or coming to the mall (could Target do a swap of the current zellers location for sears' location? I'd think the Sears one might be bigger)

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 2:55 PM

Cadillac Fairview must have some pretty SOLID deals with tenants to take up these spaces. Sears Canada had no plan to exit these locations - essentially Cadillac approached them and bought them out. IF there was no plan in place why would they pay to remove an anchor tenant? I smell Nordstrom in Van and Cgy and a redevelopment in Ottawa...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy