HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 1:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
What makes you think they would operate on the East coast? I would expect them to focus on Western Canada, at least initially.
WestJet may be based in Calgary but they have long since been a "national" airline. The niche that they are looking at is occupied in the east by Air Canada Express (Jazz) and Porter, but if they want to boost their business in Atlantic Canada and win new customers from smaller markets, I think that they will seriously consider year round expansion to SJ, Freddy and Ch'town.

I am worried that they will use this as an excuse to get rid of 737 service to Moncton and replace it will "improved service frequency" on the new regional airline. This would be both a good and bad thing if it were to happen.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
WestJet may be based in Calgary but they have long since been a "national" airline. The niche that they are looking at is occupied in the east by Air Canada Express (Jazz) and Porter, but if they want to boost their business in Atlantic Canada and win new customers from smaller markets, I think that they will seriously consider year round expansion to SJ, Freddy and Ch'town.

I am worried that they will use this as an excuse to get rid of 737 service to Moncton and replace it will "improved service frequency" on the new regional airline. This would be both a good and bad thing if it were to happen.
I would be surprised if we saw any changes at all here for the next 12-24 months. Most likely they will test this idea out some place closer to their headquarters and if things go well then plan to start expanding the service across the country. If this plan did succeed for WestJet I think you are correct that we would see smaller WestJet planes in each market.

I agree with you that this would have some good and some bad associated to it.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2012, 7:57 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:

It is true that WestJet is national, but I do still feel like they would start regional operations in the West. They have competition nationally from Air Canada Jazz (or Express, I think that's what it's called now). However, in the East, there is also competition from Porter in Halifax, Moncton and St. John's.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 6:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from the GMIA website

Traffic Growth at GMIA in 2011
January 23, 2012 News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 20, 2012

DIEPPE – The year 2011 ended in a healthy 5% increase resulting in a new record for a total of 579,329 customers at the Greater Moncton International Airport (GMIA) in comparison to 552,629 in 2010. On the cargo front, the year ended at a 1% increase. Volumes finished at 23,035 metric tonnes in comparison to 22,789 metric tonnes in 2010.

This growth in air travel is attributed to a great 2011 southern destination season, in addition to all our airline partners continuing their success in Greater Moncton. Adding to this upward trend is our newest airline partner, Porter Airlines that started service in June 2010. Both Continental and Porter Airlines increased service during the holidays to Newark (New York) and Toronto respectively, offering more possibilities for travelers.

For 2012, Sunwing Vacations is for the second year offering a Montego Bay, Jamaica, service, the first Jamaican destination from the GMIA. WestJet began a seasonal Orlando service in mid-January. With a new name and with the introduction of the Q400 in their fleet, Air Canada Express remains our main carrier offering the most frequency to major Canadian centres.

“We wish to thank the community for your continued support of air services from New Brunswick’s busiest and fastest growing airport”, states Rob Robichaud, President and CEO, of the Greater Moncton International Airport Authority. “Our air service development objectives are designed to increase services and offer the best travel options to link our community to the world.”

-30-

A recent Economic Impact Study revealed that the Greater Moncton International Airport injects over $380 million annually in revenue in the local, regional and provincial economy and is responsible for the employment of over 1,500 people in the region, while contributing
$13 million annually in fiscal obligations, making it one of the region’s foremost employers.

The Greater Moncton International Airport Authority is a non-share capital corporation mandated to manage local airport assets on behalf of the community.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 4:10 AM
Our Tide is Rising

^ awesome! I think we could easily see 600,000 within the next couple years

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 4:16 AM

St. John's had 1.4 million in 2011, up 4%.

http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=20286&latest=1

Last edited by PoscStudent; Jan 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Halifax Stanfield Breaks Passenger Record

http://www.hiaa.ca/default.asp?id=19....1.262.291.666

January 26, 2012

While Enhancing Coveted Global Airport Service Quality Reputation

Halifax, N.S. – Halifax Stanfield International Airport (HSIA) welcomed 3,594,164 passengers in 2011, up 2.5 per cent over 2010. This marks the airport’s busiest year and accounts for over half of all the air passengers in Atlantic Canada.

At the same time, Halifax Stanfield maintained its Airport Service Quality (ASQ) Assured certification, making it one of only 13 airports in the world - and the only airport in Canada - to reach this pinnacle of passenger satisfaction.

Compared to 2010, all sectors recorded year-over-year growth in 2011.
- Transborder traffic (non-stop to the United States) was up 10.8 per cent, serving a record 409,709 passengers
- International traffic rose 9.1 per cent, and also marked a record year serving 327,811 guests
- Canadian domestic traffic held strong, rising 0.7 per cent to 2,856,644 passengers

Air Canada continued to be a powerful partner at Halifax Stanfield, in all sectors. With their partners Jazz, headquartered at HSIA, Air Canada’s Halifax hub benefits the Atlantic Region by providing global access through their network and their Star Alliance partners.

“These achievements are the result of lots of hard work and focus from all of our partners – airlines, tenants, retailers, volunteers, all levels of government and the dedicated employees of Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA),” says Tom Ruth, HIAA President & CEO. “The support we’ve received from all of the carriers that serve Halifax is very encouraging”, said Ruth. “We are grateful to them all, especially those helping us grow our international service – a key strategic goal of ours.”

In 2011, Halifax Stanfield was served by 18 passenger airlines flying to a total of 43 non-stop destinations (22 year-round and 21 seasonal). The airport served an average of over 175 flights each day.

Passenger airlines included Air Canada, WestJet, Jazz, Porter, United, Air Transat, American Airlines, CanJet, Condor, Air Georgian, Air St. Pierre, Continental, Delta, Icelandair, Cubana, Sunwing, Thomas Cook (UK) and US Airways.

"I want to recognize and thank the amazing staff at Halifax Stanfield International Airport who do their best to ensure that every passenger and visitor has a pleasant and memorable experience," says Premier Darrell Dexter. "As the region's largest airport, Halifax Stanfield continues to set records for quality, performance and numbers. The province is pleased to support this world-class facility through investments like the extension of the main runway, which will help to make the airport even better in the years to come."

Factors contributing to the increase in Transborder traffic (non-stop to the United States) were:
• a full year of operation of the three times daily service by US Airways to Philadelphia that began operation in June, 2010
• increased capacity in the 4th quarter of 2011 by Continental (used 70 seat aircraft on two of its four daily flights to Newark versus 50 seat)
• increased capacity by WestJet Airlines to destinations in Florida during the winter sun flight season

In the International sector, contributing factors were:
• increased capacity to Europe during the peak summer season from both Condor to Frankfurt and Icelandair to Reykjavik
• increased capacity on flights chartered from Thomas Cook (UK) by tour operator Canadian Affair for its weekly service to London (Gatwick) by increasing the size of the aircraft (from 185 seats to 362 seats)
• introduction of new year-round service to Santa Clara, Cuba by tour operator Hola Sun Vacations using Cubana Airlines
• increased capacity to winter sun destinations in Mexico and the Caribbean

“Our commitment to provide superior service at Halifax Stanfield reaches far beyond those 3.59 million passengers,” says Ruth. “When you consider the family and friends who pick them up and drop them off, we have the opportunity to provide a positive experience to over 8 million people a year. We take our responsibility to each and every one of them very seriously,” he noted.
3.6 Million passengers pretty impressive!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 4:42 PM

Quote:
... I think that they will seriously consider year round expansion to SJ, Freddy and Ch'town.
Westjet already flies to Charlottetown year round, albeit on a reduced frequency!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 1:14 AM

Not sure how many people on here are from Newfoundland, or travel to the western region at all, but a movement is afoot to improve air service to and from the west coast of the island. It is just a facebook group but it stands with over 12,200 members who have voiced their desire to see Porter expand into Stephenville International (I always get a kick out of saying that, international). Just to compare, Porter's official facebook page has 15,000 likes.

Right now there is only one choice for getting off the west coast of the island via air between September and May, that would be Air Canada from Deer Lake. In the summer, Sunwing operates from Stephenville to Toronto while WestJet has a Deer Lake - Toronto run.

If anyone is interested check out this link: (helps if you are on facebook as well)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/275962372426374/

The group was started by a travel agent in Winnipeg and it took off overnight. There have also been several Porter employees to join the group and offer advice to the creators and pass information along to higher ups at the airline. WestJet and Air Canada also became aware of it somewhere along the way and made contact with the creators as well.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 9:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From CBC:

WestJet creates high hopes in Maritimes

Launching low-fare regional airline
CBC News Posted: Feb 8, 2012 5:29 PM AT Last Updated: Feb 8, 2012 5:28 PM AT

Maritimers may soon have more travel options as WestJet announced Wednesday it is launching a low-fare regional airline to compete with Air Canada.

WestJet employees have voted overwhelmingly to endorse the company's plans to launch a regional subsidiary starting in 2013.

The new plan is to buy 40 smaller turboprop aircraft.

WestJet chief executive Gregg Saretsky said he's pleased that 91 per cent of non-union employees, known internally as WestJetters, voted in favour of the proposal.

WestJet, the country's second-largest airline, already provides jet service out of Moncton, Halifax and Charlottetown.

The Calgary-based airline reported Monday that its traffic improved in January with a record load factor of 79.9 per cent, compared to 77.8 per cent in the previous year. It also said that it had 124,000 more passengers than last January.

The airline will send request for proposals to two airplane manufacturers to make those smaller aircraft: Bombardier, which makes the Q400 currently in use by Porter Airlines, and ATR, which makes the ATR 72-600.

The Greater Moncton International Airport would like to attract the new WestJet service, according to an airport spokeswoman.

The airport will be talking to WestJet about increasing the frequency of some flights and adding new destinations, said Johanne Gallant

Gallant said the WestJet announcement is good news for all small airports.

The airline also recently announced a code-sharing agreement with Delta Airlines that would expand its network into the U.S.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:02 PM

I could see WJ flying into Moncton more, perhaps strengthening it's Saint John presence with a regional aircraft daily year round - but I don't really see much more service into NB. They won't become like Jazz overnight, considering they would have to factor in the delivery schedule.

I could see perhaps a direct flight from Toronto to Sydney, but I don't know if the range of either plane would make NFLD?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I could see WJ flying into Moncton more, perhaps strengthening it's Saint John presence with a regional aircraft daily year round - but I don't really see much more service into NB. They won't become like Jazz overnight, considering they would have to factor in the delivery schedule.

I could see perhaps a direct flight from Toronto to Sydney, but I don't know if the range of either plane would make NFLD?
- I would like to see WestJet increasing service frequency to Pearson from GMIA. This is the one thing that keeps me from using WestJet more often.
- There is currently no competition for Air Canada Express on the GMIA-Dorval run. WestJet could pick up some business here.
- I have long wanted to see a return of air service to St. John's out of GMIA. CanJet used to fly there and I think it was quite popular.
- An additional cross border service to Logan (Boston) would be nice. Air Canada seems to want to concentrate cross border services out of their hubs. Perhaps WestJet could pick up the slack.....

Old Posted Feb 14, 2012, 3:09 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

The new Alt Hotel being built at Stanfield.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 2:44 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was just browsing the arrivals and departures schedule on the GMIA website and noted that the Continental flight from Moncton to Newark is now branded as United. Not a surprise really since these airlines have merged, but still interesting to note in any event.

So, the year round services to GMIA are now:
- Air Canada (Air Georgian)
- Air Canada Express
- WestJet
- Porter
- United

Seasonal services are provided by:
- Air Transat
- Sunwing
- WestJet Vacations

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Posted by tekojim in the Moncton thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekojim View Post
Tomorrow officials at the Greater Moncton International Airport will be celebrating the first direct cargo flight to Germany. Representatives
from Cargojet will be at the airport tomorrow for a official signing.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 7:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From CBC

Moncton airport lands cargo flight deal
CBC News
Last Updated: Mar 09, 2012 3:08 PM AT

The Moncton airport has landed its first non-stop cargo flight to Europe.

Cargojet will fly once a week between Moncton and Cologne, Germany starting April 18.

“Today represents a watershed in the history of the Greater Moncton International Airport,” said president and CEO Rob Robichaud.

The airport has been trying to negotiate a deal for years, he said.

Cargojet’s giant 767 will now take lobster and other seafood from the Maritimes to Cologne and the Cologne-based shipper Skyline will fill the return flights with general European cargo destined for eastern Canada, Toronto, New York and Detroit.

“Filling up one flight a week shouldn't be a problem,” said Skyline spokesman Hassan Aglan.

Cars will be among the cargo, he said.

“These are cars that are going from Cologne, which is the location of Ford Germany,” said Aglan. “We transport the Ford Mondeo, the European Ford Mondeo, into Detroit via Moncton. Currently per month about 80 cars.”

Airlines and shippers can save up to 15 per cent by landing in Moncton and then shipping goods by truck, said Aglan.

His company plans to eventually add a second and third cargo flight every week.

If the flight proves successful, airport officials expect it will be easier to attract more airlines.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 1:54 PM

By looking at the flight schedule on the GMIA's website, I saw that United/Continental is back with 2 flights a day! The first flight still leaves at around 6am and the second at 8:20am (and comes back at 8:26pm).

I checked on United's website to see if the flights were full and most of the flights only had one seat left. But, unfortunately, by "exploring" their flight schedule more, the 2nd flights ends on April 1st. I hope it would stick...

---

I also noticed the airport posted a Q&A on the future runway extension which is scheduled to start in May. Here it is:

Taken from the GMIA's website (in the news section)

Runway 06-24 Extension

March 14, 2012
Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the project?

Runway 06/24 is currently 6150’ or 1875 metres in length and is oriented northeast to southwest, almost parallel to Highway 15. The plan is to extend the northeast end of the runway, closest to the Highway 15/Highway 2 interchange, by 3850’ or 1174 metres to make the runway 10,000’ or 3048 meters in total.

2. When is the project expected to start and when will it finish?

Construction on the site is expected to start in early May 2012 with the runway being finished in late 2013. No construction will occur over the winter of 2012/2013.

3. How much is this project expected to cost?

Total project costs will $24Million dollars, including construction, design and other related costs.

4. Why are you extending this runway? Isn’t there another long runway at GMIA?

GMIA has another runway, 11/29 that is orientated east to west and is 8000’ or 2438 metres in length. The shorter runway 06/24, although it requires more construction to extend, does not require the comparatively large amounts of fill material that would be needed to extend runway 11/29, reducing costs by approximately $1 Million.

5. Why do you need such a long runway?

The extra length, 2000’ (610 metres) more than the longer runway of 8000’ (2438 metres), is enough to allow fully loaded cargo aircraft to reach Europe without load restrictions such as reduced fuel or cargo. Less fuel would mean that these aircraft would have to stop en-route to refuel or take on a lighter cargo load. In that case, those flights would not be economically worthwhile and in turn deprive the region of the opportunity to ship products from Moncton. Today, those goods mostly go by truck to Boston, Montreal or Toronto to be placed on cargo carrying aircraft to Europe that overfly this region.

6. Will this mean more noise over the area of Dieppe, Moncton and Riverview? Will these additional cargo aircraft operate at night?

That is a difficult question to answer without knowing exactly which cargo aircraft will be used, the frequency and the destination. At this stage only an estimate can be made. In general, after
the first year of the new runway it is anticipated that there will be two additional flights a week with one additional flight each year until 2018. Similarly, the type of aircraft can only be estimated but, it is possible the cargo aircraft may be a B767, B747 or A300.

7. Is it possible the aircraft noise we now hear be less noticeable on the extended runway?

Yes it is possible. Aircraft that currently operate from Moncton and depart on runway 24 over Dieppe and Riverview would now have a longer take off run available. The two possible outcomes would be that these aircraft would need less power (less noise) with the longer run available to reach flying speed or, aircraft would be at a higher altitude as they fly over the populated areas.

8. Are there any adverse consequences on the environment with this construction project?

This project is undergoing an environmental review by the Federal and Provincial governments. The biggest concern is that there will be an impact on existing wetland. Any wetland that is lost will be offset through a wetland restoration program implemented by Ducks Unlimited Canada. The extended runway will also cross a water course, Cooks Brook, so engineered solutions such as appropriately sized culverts will be installed so the watercourse is not disrupted.

9. What is the economic impact from this project?

Again, while a study would quote a number it would only be an estimate in terms of economic impacts and employment. During the two year construction period, there will be construction related employment and ‘spin-offs’. With new cargo service, there will be a positive economic impact with increased services and opportunities related to the logistics chain.

10. Who is paying for this project?

The total project budget is $24 Million with the GMIA financing $16 Million and the federal and New Brunswick government contributing $4 Million each.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 4:18 AM

re: Cargojet Cologne flight

Well April 18th came and went and I haven't heard peep about that cargo flight to Germany. Is that still happening or was it an idea that never took off. I didn notice heavy UPS activity at the old terminal (former PEI air hangar). Any news about these topics? UPS, CARGOJET

Steelcowboy

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 10:48 PM

I was asking myself the same question. Then I went on flightaware to verify if there was a flight that arrived or departed Moncton with a B767 but no result... A couple of minutes ago, I made a quick google search and I found this: http://www.inforwarding.com/message....&message=50211

I was posted today and it looks like there will be a flight next Thursday (April 26th). I'll keep my eyes open!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 2:40 AM

good research, I found the same but your link has more info with an actual flight schedule, an 1805 arrival here will make it a nice time to catch it I too will be watching FA and this site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces