HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 9:49 PM
passion for patterns

Austin's sister city Adelaide is more like Austin than we might think...

So I've been researching places to move (overseas), and while Adelaide is not a city in Australia on my list, it is remarkable how similar they and Austin really are. Usually when there's a sister city affiliation, it means nothing. But:

- Austin was a planned state capital founded in 1839, Adelaide is also a planned state capital founded in 1836
- Metropolitan populations are 1.5 and 1.2 million respectively
- Temperature and rainfall are fairly (25-30 inches), except in summer when Austin is a good 5-7 degrees warmer at night and during the day. However, winter is remarkably similar - their July high of 15 C is the same as our January high. Snowfall is rare in Adelaide as it is in Austin, but Austin reguarly freezes more because it's inland (Adelaide being on a bay)
- Known for being a university town, government center, and nexus of liberalism in an otherwise conservative state (South Australia)
- Both of our airports are located about 7 miles from downtown, and both serve about 6 million people a year
- Both cities have a very big arts/music festival scene known all over Australia / US respectively
- The median price of Austin's housing is about half that of many other metropolitan areas like Seattle or Sacramento, Adelaide's housing costs are about half that of Sydney or Melbourne
- The State of South Australia bank collapsed in 1992, causing a huge recession in Adelaide - the Savings and Loan Busts of the early 90's in Texas cause a huge recession in Austin
- Adelaide derived most of its water from dammed reservoirs in the Adelaide Hills, just like Austin and the Hill Country
- both cities are aguably the Bike Capitals of each respective country (Austin being more an outdoor bike place than, say, Portland)
- both have wine industries nearby (although South Australia's is exponentially larger than ours)

They have a tan Hyatt hotel on their riverfront next to a newly-refurbished coliseum:

They have a suburban freeway meandering through scrubby hills

To the east of Adelaide (and to the west of Austin) is a much-adored range of hills and escarpments, the Adelaide Hills and the Hill Country respectively. Both were settled by German Lutheran immigrants during the 1830's-1850's - with German town names like Hahndorf and Lobethal (Fredericksburg and Schulenburg anyone?)

The Adelaide Hills and Barossa Valley bear striking resemblance to the Hill Country:

bears a striking resemblance to a church out on 71 near Pedernales Valley or something, doesn't it?

I see a little bit of Dripping Springs in this one:

They also have a Mount Barker (although theirs is a suburb similar to Marble Falls)

The evergreen scrub trees combined with bare deciduous trees is another doppleganger for a place like Barton Springs Golf Course"

Hamilton Pool? McKinney Falls? Something like that? No, it's The Waterfall Gully.

Not too unlike our skyline in the 80's when viewed from the Capitol, eh?

This could be 620!

of course, there are a lot of differences - adelaide being the only major city for 300 miles or more, being on a bay, having a big shipping/defense industry, a GM/Holden auto plant, lots of palm trees, not quite a high-tech leader like we are. They also have rapid bus, one tram line and 2 or 3 commuter rail lines.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to share these similarities - I have a feeling if you wanted to still live in Austin but leave America, you could move to Adelaide and be sitting prettier.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 11:02 PM

That's interesting and a little weird/disturbing at the same time.

I always figured that if I had a choice of living anywhere outside of the US it would be Australia because I'm used to the Texas weather (and Arizona weather since I was born there), and Australia has similar weather, although I never thought there would be a city there that was that similar to Austin.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 11:42 PM
Meh

That is interesting. Australia is one other country I could see living in, provided the politics and weather was just right, among other things of course.

I hear from a lot of people that Austin is a bit like San Diego. Outdoor loving, generally liberal, similar weather and scenery.

Austin was also on some list recently, and I think we were number 2 or something. Anyway, the 2nd and 3rd place cities were San Diego and Miami. My brother also told me about the Texas Hill Country being number 1 in the country this year for vineyards, 2nd place, and this is really amazing, was Napa Valley in California!

I wouldn't mind calling San Francisco, Seattle or even Vancouver, BC home, though I doubt the prices of at least two of those would allow it.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Australia is one other country I could see living in, provided the politics and weather was just right, among other things of course.
New Zealand is my pick but for mostly the same reasons as you stated.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 4:04 AM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDizzle View Post
New Zealand is my pick but for mostly the same reasons as you stated.
That is my #1 choice right now. In fact, I am so serious about moving out of the country that I may well move back to Austin for a few months to save money so I can leave.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 4:30 AM
Meh

Just watch out for that huge volcano that threatens Auckland.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 8:55 AM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Just watch out for that huge volcano that threatens Auckland.
Is there one? I know that Auckland is built on a bed of dormant volcanoes... like dead ones, about 30 of them, that form the major viewpoints in the city. They're no bigger than a hill's size these days.

I've done a lot of research on Auckland, for a few years now, and it's my #1 choice right now. I think the weather alone is worth mentioning: about 62 in the dead of winter for the high, freezes almost never, the high in the dead of summer is only about 78. Palm trees and evergreens, over 2000 hours of sunshine yet 40 inches of rain a year. The record all time high isn't even 100.

But, seriously, would you blame me?

(these are from ENIGMA on SSC)

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 7:09 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
Is there one? I know that Auckland is built on a bed of dormant volcanoes... like dead ones, about 30 of them, that form the major viewpoints in the city. They're no bigger than a hill's size these days.
I don't think any of them are active, but I saw a show on the Discovery channel a while back about a giant caldera near the city that could blow. It's been a while since that aired, but I doubt there's much risk of it erupting.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 6:00 PM

Great comparisons (the bike one is incorrect though). I love both cities, only lived in Austin..lol. And Auckland, will be going there when I die!

Thanks for sharing the photos too. Lots of times Sister Cities never seem to have much in common. Adelaide and Austin sure as heck do as you have shown.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin