HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
^^ Thanks!

And for the record, given that the span over Lady Bird Lake (I still want to say Town Lake) isn't that much, I'd be perfectly fine with something cut from the same cloth as what we see in Waco.
same, I don't see the need to spend a bunch of money on a highway bridge, I would be fine with something similar to Waco. Especially if they lit it up nicely. If we had a new bridge across LBL, that would be a different story.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
^^ Thanks!

And for the record, given that the span over Lady Bird Lake (I still want to say Town Lake) isn't that much, I'd be perfectly fine with something cut from the same cloth as what we see in Waco.
Agreed. SOmething like one of the Dallas bridges would look out of place in my opinion. I actually like that our bridges over the lake are more subdued and not towering - they make the edge of downtown along the waterfront feel more impactful. I think a Waco-like extradosed bridge would be a great simple but graceful addition to our lake.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
same, I don't see the need to spend a bunch of money on a highway bridge, I would be fine with something similar to Waco. Especially if they lit it up nicely. If we had a new bridge across LBL, that would be a different story.
Agreed. Waco is a great example. I would like to see something a bit more attractive during the day....something that doesn't need rainbow LEDs to spruce it up.

My secondary silhouette (and idfferent style bridge) would be a sibling of 360. Simple large arches...perhaps painted blue like the bridges in La crosse, WI

see vid source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h63dT8fxv0I

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 6:08 PM

It will probably look something like the new Etradosed bridge crossing the brazos in WACO.
http://abs-structural.com/2016-prize...-brazos-river/

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 8:07 PM

Waco got a decent bridge from TxDOT. I hope we get one too. I can't help but notice that the tallest building by far in Waco as seen in the photo was built way back in 1913.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 3:55 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Waco got a decent bridge from TxDOT. I hope we get one too. I can't help but notice that the tallest building by far in Waco as seen in the photo was built way back in 1913.

Thing is, I-35 itself doesn't have the bridge. Both access roads do. I hope I-35 itself will have the nice bridge as opposed to the stupid access roads. Would be nice if those went away.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 9:13 PM

What's up with the old lighting on Congress and Lamar bridges?

Those old non-working Christmas lights strings looks like they haven't been touched in 20 years. Would look nice if those were updated, or at least remove the old sets. Both look terrible right now.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post

Those old non-working Christmas lights strings looks like they haven't been touched in 20 years. Would look nice if those were updated, or at least remove the old sets. Both look terrible right now.

This type of shit drives me nutz.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post

The hanging pointy arrows look new. When were they installed? Do they go from one shore to the other? Are they on the other side of the bridge? If they are on the other side of the bridge do they point down????

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 12:21 PM

I'll take the pointy arrows over the apocalyptic dead string lights

A great example of why I created this thread in the first place. There are just little quirks that make some of our bridges look ....cheap and take away from any historic relevance.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin