HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Love it 13 40.63%
Like it 19 59.38%
Ugly 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 5:37 PM
BANNED

Parkside at Waterfront

All remaining buildings except for 77 units launched today, construction starting next spring. I like how they changed the cladding again from phase 2 and I find the massing interesting as well. Green space has potential too.

Media Advisory - Buyers Expected to Line Up as Calgary Condo Demand Outpaces Supply - Hottest Housing Market In Canada To See Most Successful Launch Since Recession
Waterfront along the Bow River in downtown Calgary will be complete by 2018 (CNW Group/Renu Bakshi)
Media

CALGARY, Nov. 14, 2014 /CNW/ - The City of Calgary is on the verge of experiencing something it has not seen since 2008, as demand for condos outpaces supply. With approximately 1,800 people registered to buy, a downtown development is set to sell the most condos during a grand opening period since the recession.

"We expect to see a line up on Saturday; the response to Waterfront's next phase has been overwhelming," said Greg Zayadi, Anthem Properties Group, VP Sales & Marketing. "Even without a show suite, people are buying based on location, floor plans and price points."

Independent market analyst Altus Group says Calgary is following other major cities in building a livable downtown.

"Current market confidence and demand is the highest it has been since the recession," said Matthew Boukall, Altus Group, Director of Residential Advisory Services. "I'm not surprised that people are lined up to buy at Waterfront."

Details:

When - Saturday, November 15 (Door opens at noon, lineup expected earlier)

Where - Waterfront Presentation Centre: 216 Riverfront Avenue SW (map)

Who – Buyers and Anthem Properties Group

**Independent analyst Altus Group is available for comment about the housing market - Matthew Boukall 403 607 0571

Additional Visuals – Buildings under construction and architectural renderings

Media Requests: Renu Bakshi 604 787 1873 or renu@renubakshi.com

SOURCE Renu Bakshi Communications Inc.

Image with caption: "Waterfront along the Bow River in downtown Calgary will be complete by 2018 (CNW Group/Renu Bakshi)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/dow...TO_EN_8041.jpg

Image with caption: "Waterfront by Anthem Properties Group is a collection of 10 buildings along the Bow River in downtown Calgary (CNW Group/Renu Bakshi)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/dow...TO_EN_8042.jpg

Image with caption: "Sales at Waterfront by Anthem Properties Group demonstrates the immense demand for condos in downtown Calgary (CNW Group/Renu Bakshi)". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/images/dow...TO_EN_8043.jpg

For further information: Media Requests: Renu Bakshi 604 787 1873 or renu@renubakshi.com

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1446...l-launch-since

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 3:46 AM
Editor

I like this one a lot, pretty close to loving it, it just feels a but campus-like to me, but other than that, very solid.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 4:07 AM
YIMBY

The buildings closest to the river remind me of the decks on a cruise ship....

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 7:26 AM

Talking

Two of the buildings closest to the river look like another pair of disco stu's shoes.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
The buildings closest to the river remind me of the decks on a cruise ship....
The overall Waterfront project is rather Bow Riviera, but mostly good.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 5:45 PM
Fake News

I'm confused by the landscaping where the sand path cuts between buildings on the left side. Why are there boxes it cuts through? Are those meant to be yards or community gardens or what?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
I like this one a lot, pretty close to loving it, it just feels a but campus-like to me, but other than that, very solid.
Same. The uniformity gives a campus vibe that will probably look dated in a few years, but I am happy that another 6 buildings of people will be living in Eau Claire. I'm glad that they used a diversity of forms, and hopefully they do the same with cladding. What are the chances that we actually get a green roof on any of these?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 7:09 PM
I am the law!

Is there retail in the plaza areas? That will change the vibe somewhat. I'm not sure how successful retail will be in those areas though.

I like it but, but agree the site planning looks like a resort which I think should feel denser so close to the urban core.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 7:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
Same. The uniformity gives a campus vibe that will probably look dated in a few years, but I am happy that another 6 buildings of people will be living in Eau Claire. I'm glad that they used a diversity of forms, and hopefully they do the same with cladding. What are the chances that we actually get a green roof on any of these?
The first two towers have a green roof in place with a bunch of trees/plants, i expect that to continue throughout the project.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 7:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
Two of the buildings closest to the river look like another pair of disco stu's shoes.
The other disco shoes project just applied for permits!

http://www.calgaryplanninggm.com/201...iverfront.html

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 7:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Is there retail in the plaza areas? That will change the vibe somewhat. I'm not sure how successful retail will be in those areas though.

I like it but, but agree the site planning looks like a resort which I think should feel denser so close to the urban core.

I like the stepped design Calgary has going around the river, adds layers to the skyline.

Phase 1 includes 11k sf of retail, this new phase prob just add a couple bays here and there. What Eau-Claire really needs is one or both of those mega projects to get going. Those will bring a lot more people away from only hanging out around the pathways, into the actual neighborhood.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 10:51 PM
Fake News

Am I the only one who's confused about Arriva still being under construction in the background of the first pic?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 1:01 AM

It would be awesome to see the top rendering with the redevelopment of Eau Claire and other current developments in place added to see how that will "really" look a few years from now. ATM this development kind of sticks out and Eau Claire is quite low. This development is not going to actually stick out like that and will be more conservative with what that area is going to become very shortly. City Centre anyone?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
It would be awesome to see the top rendering with the redevelopment of Eau Claire and other current developments in place added to see how that will "really" look a few years from now. ATM this development kind of sticks out and Eau Claire is quite low. This development is not going to actually stick out like that and will be more conservative with what that area is going to become very shortly. City Centre anyone?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...14#post6797714

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 4:02 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
I like the stepped design Calgary has going around the river, adds layers to the skyline.

Phase 1 includes 11k sf of retail, this new phase prob just add a couple bays here and there. What Eau-Claire really needs is one or both of those mega projects to get going. Those will bring a lot more people away from only hanging out around the pathways, into the actual neighborhood.
It's not the terraced designs. It's the lot coverage that I think should be higher. Different opinion if some of the courtyard spaces has a draw for non residents. Also think enough open plaza developments are planned in the area. Just go for higher lot coverage.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 4:10 PM
BANNED

People like their green space out here. Personally, I do too, and this is still over 1,000 units.

Almost sold out opening weekend. Wonder if this pushes their Erlton mixed-use project up the timeline.

Quote:
Most successful Calgary condo launch since recession

252 units sold in Waterfront’s Parkside development

BY MARIO TONEGUZZI, CALGARY HERALD NOVEMBER 17, 2014 6:18 AM

STORYPHOTOS ( 1 )

Most successful Calgary condo launch since recession

Rendering of the overall Waterfront condo development along the Bow River in the Eau Claire neighbourhood.
Photograph by: Supplied
CALGARY - Calgary’s newest condo launch is the city’s most successful grand opening since the recession as 252 units have sold at the Parkside development, part of the Waterfront project along the Bow River in the Eau Claire neighbourhood.

They sold in the span of three days late last week.

It’s another sign of the growing demand for inner-city condo ownership.

Greg Zayadi, vice-president of sales and marketing for Vancouver-based developer Anthem Properties, said 1,800 people registered for a chance to buy one of 288 available condos.

“We built on the success of Waterfront’s first two phases. Even without a show suite, people bought condos based on location, floor plans and price points,” he said.

Parkside, directly adjacent to Sien Lok Park, will consist of four buildings of 17, nine, nine and six storeys with 302 units. Prices range from $289,900 to $2.3 million.

The company bought the current land just east of the Eau Claire Market in 2004 and started construction on the first building in 2007.

The first two buildings of Waterfront, 22 and 24 storeys, brought to the market 450 condo units. All are sold and occupied today with the exception of five penthouses still for sale.

Construction on Parkside will begin in the spring 2015 and all four buildings will be built at once with spring/summer 2018 completion.

Waterfront is also building its Outlook phase of 175 condo units in two buildings of 16 and four storeys. All units have been sold with completion expected in April 2015.

The final phase of the overall Waterfront project will probably launch next year. It will be located directly at the entrance to Prince’s Island Park, on the north side of the site, and consist of a nine and a four storey building with another 77 units.

A coffee shop and liquor store have opened on the site and a new Brazilian steakhouse is under construction.

When fully complete by 2018, Waterfront will have just over 1,000 condo units.

“The downtown condo market is a segment of housing that never existed before in Calgary,” said Zayadi. “The city’s skyline will be completely transformed in the coming years. We look forward to releasing more condos early next year.”

mtoneguzzi@calgaryherald.com
http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...228/story.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 4:53 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Interesting, still 5 penthouses still not sold in the first two towers.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 5:34 PM

Like Concord, the design is a bit too Bow Riviera, but mostly good.

Last edited by Doug; Nov 17, 2014 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 12:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Interesting, still 5 penthouses still not sold in the first two towers.
Prob asking too much relative to finishings. 40% sold at the Concord east tower already and all of those units could be considered penthouse type price-points. Executives appear to be increasingly looking for the tower lifestyle here, which surprises me a lot more than the yuppie crowd catching on to the trend.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 3:03 AM
Edan

I agree with people when they say this is mostly good, but I still can't help but feel its entirely bland. Maybe the renderings at street level aren't doing it justice for me.. or maybe I just feel like its going to be too dark at night in the area. Proper ground level lighting will make or break this for me, as a river walk user.

I hate walking between houses on those sidewalk short cuts at night, especially when lights are either non-existent or no-functioning. Same goes for the cut through from the river pathway to the street between buildings. Blind corners etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates