HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 1:26 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
That always cracked me up.
I can't imagine being a tourist and having to deal with that. I mean, technically, I'm a tourist, but I go to Winnipeg enough to know what I'm doing, and I did live there for four years.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 12:22 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I can't imagine being a tourist and having to deal with that. I mean, technically, I'm a tourist, but I go to Winnipeg enough to know what I'm doing, and I did live there for four years.
The bridges were the only truly annoying thing. I used to sit in my car, parked in traffic on some side street heading toward a bridge, and grumble that a city of Winnipeg's size should have many more crossings - some European cities have more over a few blocks than Winnipeg has in total. But then I'd get across eventually and get over it.

The thing that struck me most, though - in a benign way - was how the grids didn't line up. It cracked me up at times. A prairie city, on flat land, and every other neighbourhood has its gridded streets pointing in a different direction. It makes sense, though, when you learn they were all separate communities that kind of grew together.

But stuff like this is still hilarious when there's no topographical reason for it:

Here it's the other way around, with the gridded areas feeling forced and unnatural. They ignore the shape of the hills so you end up with some residential streets going straight up and over instead of at a softer, sideways angle. Some of the streets on the backside of my "gridded" neighbourhood are among the steepest outside of the core:

Mayor Avenue, for example, literally goes straight up and down the backside of the hill at once of its steepest points. Merrymeeting Road more or less rides the peak of the hill, with the side streets off it heading downhill in both directions. It's the backside (up in this angle) that's steep in this area.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Although yes, there are small street signs in certain anglo majority municipalities that are bilingual. Though many like Westmount try to be neutral and don't generally post "rue" or "street", and just put the name like GREENE.
That's how street signs are in Timmins. And all of our street signs have address numbers to the left and right of the street name for emergency vehicles to use to locate addresses.

And another Timmins-Westmount connection: the founder of Timmins, Noah Timmins had a large mansion at the top of the "mountain" in Westmount back in the day. I think the address is 55 Belvedere Circle according to an article.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 5:09 AM

Quote:
"Stop" is in both French dictionaries of record (Le Petit Larousse and Le Petit Robert), so it passes the test. There is a also a related French verb: "stopper". (Other words of foreign origin are also in there like pizza, sirocco, etc.)

The OQLF aren't as obtuse as some people think!
Plus all the "Arret" signs in France and other Francophone countries say "Stop," and only "Stop" and people seem to understand (not that drivers tend to obey street signs in France).

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 1:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanroo View Post
Plus all the "Arret" signs in France and other Francophone countries say "Stop," and only "Stop" and people seem to understand (not that drivers tend to obey street signs in France).
Stop signs are quite rare in France, but when you do see one, it says "stop", not "arrêt" it is true. The only places where you see "arrêt" is in Quebec and in New Brunswick (the latter uses "stop/arrêt"). Areas of Ontario with lots of francophones like Ottawa and Eastern Ontario used to use "stop/arrêt", but have reverted back to just "stop" in recent years.

Anyway, the use of "arrêt" (or anything other than "stop") isn't that ignominous. In Latin American countries you generally see either "alto" or "pare", as opposed to "stop", for example.

A red octogon without any words at all might even do the trick at this point though. It's certainly as familiar to people as the red and white triangle for the yield, which is rarely seen with the word "yield" anymore.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Stop signs are quite rare in France, but when you do see one, it says "stop", not "arrêt" it is true. The only places where you see "arrêt" is in Quebec and in New Brunswick (the latter uses "stop/arrêt"). Areas of Ontario with lots of francophones like Ottawa and Eastern Ontario used to use "stop/arrêt", but have reverted back to just "stop" in recent years.

Anyway, the use of "arrêt" (or anything other than "stop") isn't that ignominous. In Latin American countries you generally see either "alto" or "pare", as opposed to "stop", for example.

A red octogon without any words at all might even do the trick at this point though. It's certainly as familiar to people as the red and white triangle for the yield, which is rarely seen with the word "yield" anymore.
I've even seen stop/arrêt signs in Alberta, both in the National Parks and on a military base. There are also stop/arrêt signs in a handful of French towns and also in the French Quarter of Edmonton. Here's a google maps view of the former at 49th (Rue) Street in Beaumont; I can't find any from Edmonton but I'm sure they're there. https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.35259...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Sep 7, 2016, 2:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Yeah the feds use "stop-arrêt" on roads on their properties.

"Stop" sign in Hawkesbury, Ontario. This town is 85% francophone. Quebec is in the distance across that water you see.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.60910...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 2:36 PM

Quote:
I've even seen stop/arrêt signs in Alberta, both in the National Parks and on a military base. There are also stop/arrêt signs in a handful of French towns and also in the French Quarter of Edmonton. Here's a google maps view of the former at 49th (Rue) Street in Beaumont; I can't find any from Edmonton but I'm sure they're there. https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.35259...8i6656!6m1!1e1
I recall seeing the stop/arrêt signs in Falher and Legal as well and some google maps below. I also recall seeing them in St Paul, Bon Accord and Bonnyville but could not find them. I believe though in Alberta you will find them in the Edmonton area or parts up north but not south of the Edmonton region.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@55.73503...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.94878...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Also urbanroo I found one in Edmonton for you.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.52099...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big W View Post
I recall seeing the stop/arrêt signs in Falher and Legal as well and some google maps below. I also recall seeing them in St Paul, Bon Accord and Bonnyville but could not find them. I believe though in Alberta you will find them in the Edmonton area or parts up north but not south of the Edmonton region.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@55.73503...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.94878...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Also urbanroo I found one in Edmonton for you.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.52099...7i13312!8i6656
Neat. I think Edmonton should put more up around Bonnie Doon (our improbably named "French Quarter"). It would add some more flavor to the place.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 3:57 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Winnipeg generally uses arrêt/stop or stop/arrêt in the most francophone areas, but stop only in other bilingual areas. The Manitoba government uses the bilingual version in some places, notably the legislature grounds.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 2:37 AM

Stop signs in aboriginal communities often display aboriginal languages instead. For example, this Mohawk-language stop sign in the Tyendinaga reserve in Ontario:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.18180...7i13312!8i6656
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 3:42 PM
of Canada

This article is aging but is still interesting (probably more interesting to the Calgary people thought):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ames-1.3346444
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 3:55 AM

Quote:
There used to be one in a random power centre on the west side of Grande Prairie between a Wal Mart and a Future Shop.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 4:59 AM

Visitors often laugh at the name of this street in Timmins:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.48595...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 1:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
There used to be one in a random power centre on the west side of Grande Prairie between a Wal Mart and a Future Shop.
I've seen "stop/arrêt" signs in the weirdest places sometimes, and even old English signs (not just "stop" signs) in Quebec, but extremely sporadically.

Often it's just because they needed a sign and that one happened to be lying around the yard. It's not usually because someone wanted to make a statement.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 3:25 PM

Street names signs in my home city of St Albert are done in French/ English and Cree. A lot of main streets are named after the French and Meti settlers that came here.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
I think Saskatoon wins for dumbest naming convention. They have an area where several different streets have the same name.
Saskatoon's naming convention overall is a mish mash of different conventions.

1. Streets - east-west orientation
  • Most follow a convention where the downtown is 20 & 20 (only there is no 20th Avenue). South of 1st Street, names are used.
  • The neighborhood of Sutherland (NE of the University of Saskatchewan) was annexed in 1956 and was previously its own town and had it's own numbered streets. To avoid duplication they were increased by 100 (i.e. 8th St became 108th St).
  • Named everywhere else

2. Avenues - north-south orientation
  • Downtown avenues are numbered, increasing as one travels east from Idylwyld Drive to the South Sask. River.
  • Avenues west of downtown are lettered, increasing as you travel west. Idylwyld Drive used to be Avenue A, with Avenue Z being close to 22nd St & Circle Drive.
  • Central Avenue runs through the former town of Sutherland.
  • Named everywhere else.

3. Addresses - As far a address (block) numbers are concerned, Saskatoon is divided into quadrants, with the centre being 22nd Street & Idylwyld Drive. East of the river, the division streets are College Drive and Lorne Avenue. The numbered avenues (downtown) are true to the quadrant, the streets are not. For example, if the blocks and streets match, 22nd St would be Centre Street, 51th Street (near the airport) would be 29th Street N, while 8th Street would be 14th Street S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
50th is on the list because many prairie towns middle intersection is 50th ave and 50th st, supposedly to make them sound bigger at the turn of the century to prospective immigrants from the east, not sure if that is actually true though. You'd have some villages where the entire village is from 48th to 52nd street and ave, but that address on 51st street sure makes it seem like a happening place
An interesting article about how the 50/50 convention became popular in Alberta.

Quote:
A STREET NAMED 50
Niall McKenna

Believe it or not, a remarkable 41% of Alberta’s urban municipalities follow the 50th Street, 50th Avenue pattern: from major centres like Red Deer, Leduc, Lloydminster, Camrose, Stony Plain, and Cold Lake, to villages like Irma, Holden, Andrew, and Waskatenau.

But why? Did planners just figure, “We’ll never grow bigger than 50 blocks?”

The real answer is a little more complex...
https://ama.ab.ca/2015/07/29/a-street-named-50/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 4:48 PM

This street corner is pretty funny or at least when it was revelant in the 90s. What are the chances...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 9:09 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

This one was apparently a reference to a future street on the town plan, and now it's actually called Future Street.

https://goo.gl/maps/cuTwavArNcy

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 10:51 PM

This one has always bothered me. Pronounced "Straun" or "Strawn".
Posted on the Toronto Star website.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada