HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which city will reach 1 million first?
Winnipeg 89 76.72%
Québec 27 23.28%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 7:30 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
July 1, 2022 Estimate:

Calgary 1,608,342
Edmonton 1,516,719
Ottawa-Gatineau 1,498,610
Calgary is pulling ahead quicker than I thought. The difference between Edmonton and Ottawa is negligible, but Calgary pulling ahead by around 100,000 people or 5-6% lead.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
The only way Edmonton can catch Calgary is if it continues to attract many more people due to it's affordability. Otherwise, the current estimate ranking will likely hold for a decade or more.
Edmonton will never catch Calgary. IN fact, the gap will widen. 99% of people I interact with prefer Calgary over Edmonton. No offense to Edmonton, but it's a rather bland city. Calgary has the mountains, it's cleaner, they have the Chinooks, a better LRT, etc.

Calgary is already pricier than Edmonton, yet Calgary still is attracting more people. Unless the difference in price is very significant, I cannot see people choosing Edmonton over Calgary, aside from work related reasons.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 12:58 AM
Great White Norf

Out of the 23 rental markets that Zumper tracks for its monthly Canadian Rent report, Ottawa is #6 most expensive, Calgary #9, Edmonton is affordable at #21, a bit cheaper than even Winnipeg and QC.

Apartments in Edmonton are roughly 50% cheaper than Calgary for a 2 bedroom, and 57% cheaper than Calgary for a 1 bedroom. That's a significant difference to the average Calgarian or Edmontonian.
Calgarians pay an extra $8,000-$8,700/yr in rent.

https://www.zumper.com/blog/rental-price-data-canada/

I haven't checked for purchase housing prices but I recall the trajectory of Calgary was a pretty steady incline in prices during the past couple of years

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 1:52 AM
Volatile Pacivist

^ Dear god I can't believe Hfx is at the top of the list. I feel sorry for anyone living there now.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ Dear god I can't believe Hfx is at the top of the list. I feel sorry for anyone living there now.
It’s not actually the highest; Vancouver, Toronto, Victoria and Burnaby are cut off on that pic. Still, number five is not a good position to be in.

Having said that, I’m not sure I totally trust the Zumper data for smaller cities—it’s really drawing from a small pool of rentals listed on the platform, with well under 100 apartments in some cities. Quebec City is the worst represented, at only 36. Halifax is second-worst, with 65 (on Kijiji there are more than 700 rentals listed in the city).

I think it’s kind of unfortunate these reports by private rental platforms (including rentals.ca, which interestingly has quite different rankings than this) have become the gold standard for this information. It would be nice if there was a more official info source on average rents for newly listed apartments across the country. I’m sure the overall trend lines of major rent inflation would hold, but the details might be quite different.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 3:19 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
It's *only* top 5!

Blame Ontarians like my cousin, his wife. My Uncle, his wife retiring from southern Ontario to Nova Scotia thus driving up the cost for everyone else.

I even joke with O-tacular, blame my Uncle and his wife for retiring from the GTA to Calgary recently helping push up those prices

Drybrain, for Niagara is pretty accurate. In St. Catharines and Niagara Falls that's the going rate for a 1 bedroom. In smaller municipalities of Niagara one may find some cheaper rentals, but those two cities are by far the largest urban areas and with Thorold bridging the gap it's increasingly becoming one blob of roughly 260,000-265,000 people.

Last edited by Wigs; Dec 1, 2023 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 3:25 AM
Volatile Pacivist

^ Yep. Growth definitely has its challenges!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
It’s not actually the highest; Vancouver, Toronto, Victoria and Burnaby are cut off on that pic. Still, number five is not a good position to be in.

Having said that, I’m not sure I totally trust the Zumper data for smaller cities—it’s really drawing from a small pool of rentals listed on the platform, with well under 100 apartments in some cities. Quebec City is the worst represented, at only 36. Halifax is second-worst, with 65 (on Kijiji there are more than 700 rentals listed in the city).

I think it’s kind of unfortunate these reports by private rental platforms (including rentals.ca, which interestingly has quite different rankings than this) have become the gold standard for this information. It would be nice if there was a more official info source on average rents for newly listed apartments across the country. I’m sure the overall trend lines of major rent inflation would hold, but the details might be quite different.
Yes and the rent freeze that's been in place for the last few years distorts the issue a bit as well since not only are many people not affected by the higher prices but it might also mean that rental companies demand even higher rates for vacant units to make up for it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 5:48 PM
Mooderator

Sooo..

Where are Québec and Winnipeg now?

Ya think?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Edmonton will never catch Calgary. IN fact, the gap will widen. 99% of people I interact with prefer Calgary over Edmonton. No offense to Edmonton, but it's a rather bland city. Calgary has the mountains, it's cleaner, they have the Chinooks, a better LRT, etc.

Calgary is already pricier than Edmonton, yet Calgary still is attracting more people. Unless the difference in price is very significant, I cannot see people choosing Edmonton over Calgary, aside from work related reasons.
Calgary is about 1 1/2 hour or so drive from the mountains, but yes, if I had to choose, I would pick Calgary.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:31 PM
Mooderator

I think Winnipeg, with it's stuccoed periphery is going to win out on Québec's stoned walls.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I think Winnipeg, with it's stuccoed periphery is going to win out on Québec's stoned walls.
I think you're right, though Quebec City has a huge vinyl siding periphery of its own.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Sooo..

Pretty close in population. The Winnipeg Metropolitan Region is just about right on 900,000. I'm using 1% growth annually from 2021 but growth may be higher than that. The forecast is for the population to exceed 1 million in time for the 2031 census.

Metropolitan Quebec City had 839,000 in 2021, but the Nationale Capitale Region had fewer (757,000) population despite covering almost 19,000 sq. km. (7,250 sq. mi.), more than 1/3rd the size of Nova Scotia. I don't understand how the figure could be lower. Assuming 1% growth from the higher figure, the current pop. would be around 865,000.

Winnipeg feels bigger to me, though Quebec City is the prettier of the two. For any American readers, similar sized metro areas include Omaha and Albany, and Winnipeg does remind me of Omaha, even more so Kansas City.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 6:57 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think you're right, though Quebec City has a huge vinyl siding periphery of its own.
My belle-mère's neighbourhood in Ste Foy is being swallowed up with condos (right next to the 540).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:15 PM

Quote:
My belle-mère's neighbourhood in Ste Foy is being swallowed up with condos (right next to the 540).
Recent buidling permits suggest there is more construction in Quebec City than Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:33 PM
the first stamp is free

^ The stats always suggest that. Winnipeg is a perpetual laggard in building start stats. So I don't know how that works, because we are apparently growing and people seem to be living somewhere.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:49 PM
Mooderator

I might post the Pam from 'The Office' "they are the same" meme now.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 7:57 PM
recession proof

Brampton has 1 million people, half living in basement apartments.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 11:48 PM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Brampton has 1 million people, half living in basement apartments.
So it somehow grew by 52% in three years, given that its population was 656,000 in the 2021 census?

Oh but yes, I forgot, in your world there are five undocumented Indians hiding in every corner

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 11:56 PM
Mooderator

Again. Winnipeg or Québec. 1 million.

I don't care about the extra million basement dwellers in Brampton.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Sooo..

Ya think?
Quebec City 880k
Winnipeg 920k

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada