HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 3:01 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Apparently it was port-o-potties instead of permanent washroom facilities.
This isn't really proof that they haven't upgraded the facilities though. It seems unlikely that they would put in permanent washroom facilities capable of handling thousands of people. The North Common has public washrooms for example but still needs port-o-potties for special events.

I suspect there just isn't that much pressure to open the island up. There are no real goals in place and no consequences if they put it off indefinitely.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 3:48 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
The volunteers I spoke to said that "they'll never open the Island. They are too concerned about the ecosystem". So concerned they open it up to 3000 concert goers?
Hopefully the volunteers were just non-informed about the $3.5 million that the federal government committed in 2010. I imagine that garter snakes would do just as well on McNabs Island as Georges Island. So it seems more important as a heritage site than as an ecological site.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 3:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Hopefully the volunteers were just non-informed about the $3.5 million that the federal government committed in 2010. I imagine that garter snakes would do just as well on McNabs Island as Georges Island. So it seems more important as a heritage site than as an ecological site.
I say deport the damned snakes to McNab's. Georges Island is way too important as a heritage site and (potential) tourist attraction to be so concerned about the living conditions of a few hundred snakes.

It's not as if garter snakes are endangered! We can't turn everyplace into an ecological reserve....

I wonder how long it will take for a new group to spring up - something like "The Friends of the George's Island Snakes". That would really stifle any prospect for the development of this treasure in Halifax Harbour!!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 4:59 AM

Should we really give a damn about the ecosystem on some little island when there is an important historical site which we should have access to?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Should we really give a damn about the ecosystem on some little island when there is an important historical site which we should have access to?
Agreed.

The whole "ecosystem" angle certainly gives them an out. What with all the cuts to Parks Canada in the current budget... Wouldn't surprise me.

As to the volunteers themselves, they were the "old biddy" types (no disrespect... they were quite friendly) .. so Im going to assume that they had their facts straight.

Did the water/sewer and electrical upgrades actually get done?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:34 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Looks like it's happening in 2020:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...harf-1.5241786

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 1:48 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I went over to Georges Island the other year when Parks Canada had it opened for a weekend. It was very interesting, larger than it looks, and has a unique perspective on the Halifax waterfront.

They will need to cut back the brambles a bit, employ interpreters and have signs, put in washrooms and some facilities (like places to get something to drink, or perhaps eat). I got a terrible sunburn when I was on the island, because there weren't really any places to get out of the sun, and I got dehydrated too because of the absence of any canteens or vending machines.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 11:41 AM

I wonder if they intend to do anything about the snakes.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 8:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I wonder if they intend to do anything about the snakes.
I've heard that the snake population (and probably rodent population etc.) fluctuates a lot from year to year and the stories about the island being overrun were from an unusually high year. The snakes don't really like open areas and can be active at night so I bet if people were encouraged to keep on the paths and visit during certain hours it would be possible for the snakes to continue to live there.

I've said it (or written it before), but I think this is another prime "not living up to potential" example and it's good that it'll finally be fixed. It's potentially a great attraction that will be usable with only a small amount of investment ($2M).

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 7:24 PM

The main concern would be for the health and safety of the snakes as they are not of the poisonous variety...

An exciting development for Haligonians!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 11:56 AM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues