HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 4:56 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Nice one, Montreal.
What the hell is going on, Toronto and Edmonton?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 12:09 AM
I'm cheap

I notice when there is a downturn in the economy here in Edmonton, that the murder/violent assaults grow. Perhaps it's more drugs and alcohol used? I'm not sure.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
I notice when there is a downturn in the economy here in Edmonton, that the murder/violent assaults grow. Perhaps it's more drugs and alcohol used? I'm not sure.
Idle time. People who could normally keep themselves at least a bit busy working, or in a structured environment because they are out on a remote job site, even if it was ultimately just to feed their vices have nothing but time now.
Edmonton is blessed and cursed to be a land of opportunity for a big part of the country for a certain segment of the population (low cost of entry education or otherwise to make a good working wage) .. But sometimes the opportunity is to get into alot of trouble with that income when you have it and when it's gone...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
Idle time. People who could normally keep themselves at least a bit busy working, or in a structured environment because they are out on a remote job site, even if it was ultimately just to feed their vices have nothing but time now.
Edmonton is blessed and cursed to be a land of opportunity for a big part of the country for a certain segment of the population (low cost of entry education or otherwise to make a good working wage) .. But sometimes the opportunity is to get into alot of trouble with that income when you have it and when it's gone...
What surprised me when I moved here is the high level of inequality here. It kinda dumbfounds me actually. When comparing salary to cost of living, it's very hard to compete with Edmonton. We're talking about a place where with no education, you can make a decent wage while in the service class. $15 per hour, while quite low for a lot, is pretty easy to obtain here with no past experience. So I really don't understand how there are so many people who still feel the need to delve into criminal activity.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
What surprised me when I moved here is the high level of inequality here. It kinda dumbfounds me actually. When comparing salary to cost of living, it's very hard to compete with Edmonton. We're talking about a place where with no education, you can make a decent wage while in the service class. $15 per hour, while quite low for a lot, is pretty easy to obtain here with no past experience. So I really don't understand how there are so many people who still feel the need to delve into criminal activity.
Money came too easy to many, no appreciation, failure to use it for anything good.
There are those who came to Edmonton and northern and changed their lives as model citizens and then those that didn't and there a more than enough in that second category.
There isn't much denying that the demographics of the low skill worker that is readily attracted in such a large boom and easy money has a slant with a greater percentage of outside the norm personality types in it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:36 AM

Edmonton is having a very rough week. The 11th homicide victim there grew up near the same Jasmine neighborhood in Ottawa that's been getting press recently.

Also, Ottawa is now at 6. The woman shot on Sunday passed away although it doesn't seem to be officially announced yet. Her mother works at the college I attend so word spread quickly. Feel free to correct me if i'm mistaken.

Last edited by drizzo_613; Mar 29, 2016 at 5:57 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:48 AM

the province of Quebec is at 7. less than 1 homicide per 1M.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 1:02 PM

There have already been six this year in Halifax, which is the same as the total number we had in all of 2013, and close to the total for last year (nine).

Among them are a probable drug-related murder, a stabbing in a suburban apartment, a domestic violence incident, a guy who killed his own father, and some guy who was found this morning shot to death on a sidewalk.

It's pretty weird. Hopefully it slows way down because it's only April and we're getting close to a year's worth of homicides already.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 1:34 PM
Heart of the Continent

What's going on this year?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
What's going on this year?
Murders are not something you can predict.

We could just as easily go the rest of the year without a murder as have a murder a day for the rest of the year.

Who can predict when a couple drunk guys get in a fight? Or a domestic assault happens, or gang violence.

In any event, whatever the number of murders happening in any Canadian city is - it does not really affect the vast majority of the population. It's the ultimate in crime, but probably the one crime you need to worry about in your everyday life the least.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Money came too easy to many, no appreciation, failure to use it for anything good.
There are those who came to Edmonton and northern and changed their lives as model citizens and then those that didn't and there a more than enough in that second category.
There isn't much denying that the demographics of the low skill worker that is readily attracted in such a large boom and easy money has a slant with a greater percentage of outside the norm personality types in it.
You have to look at a great number of social issues to come up with an answer. Apparently 5 of the deaths are all known to police and lived a High risk life style. Why do people get into gangs? Lack of home life, feeling like an outcast and they make you feel apart of something, easy money even the glamour life style portraid in some media, looking for an easy way out.

This is cyclical and we may not get anymore for a few months.

Don't denigrate the unskilled, its really the lack of a personal moral code.

I consider myself as informally educated. I came into the workforce a Long time ago as an unskilled laborer, but was give a great number of opportunities. I made some good ones and now in a position that I make a significant income and I influence a lot of people in my industry.

The reason I didn't go the fast and easy route is I have a Personal Morel code, that and the fact I am a chicken shit helped.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
You have to look at a great number of social issues to come up with an answer. Apparently 5 of the deaths are all known to police and lived a High risk life style. Why do people get into gangs? Lack of home life, feeling like an outcast and they make you feel apart of something, easy money even the glamour life style portraid in some media, looking for an easy way out.

This is cyclical and we may not get anymore for a few months.

Don't denigrate the unskilled, its really the lack of a personal moral code.

I consider myself as informally educated. I came into the workforce a Long time ago as an unskilled laborer, but was give a great number of opportunities. I made some good ones and now in a position that I make a significant income and I influence a lot of people in my industry.

The reason I didn't go the fast and easy route is I have a Personal Morel code, that and the fact I am a chicken shit helped.
It's not a slight, it's a reality that you would tend to be in the exception rather than the rule, but I never said the rule was that an unskilled worker is a criminal or lacks ethics and morals. The rule is they tend to exist in that place earning a wage and living their life. However, within that group (especially the group of young males willing to work long stints out of town for big fast money)there is a subset that is higher than average that lives a high risk life style and lacks that moral code/want to live within the confines of day to day society. When times get tough it's not a far reach why they are the first ones out of work and as a result lose what little structure they keep in their lives and wind up with lots of time, quickly dwindling cash and a whole bunch of trouble.
I don't think there is anything abnormal about this observation.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
the province of Quebec is at 7. less than 1 homicide per 1M.
People here are too busy pocketing that equalization money.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
It's not a slight, it's a reality that you would tend to be in the exception rather than the rule, but I never said the rule was that an unskilled worker is a criminal or lacks ethics and morals. The rule is they tend to exist in that place earning a wage and living their life. However, within that group (especially the group of young males willing to work long stints out of town for big fast money)there is a subset that is higher than average that lives a high risk life style and lacks that moral code/want to live within the confines of day to day society. When times get tough it's not a far reach why they are the first ones out of work and as a result lose what little structure they keep in their lives and wind up with lots of time, quickly dwindling cash and a whole bunch of trouble.
I don't think there is anything abnormal about this observation.
Didn't concidered it a slight. Yes there is that set the want fast money, but they will not work the long hours. There is the group that wants the money without the effort. Plus the gang / drug life style is potraid as glomourous. Had a kid on the street moving toward the drug sale side of life. Good kid great family. Some of my neighbours are cops and one neighbour works for the medical examiner. They showed him the reality of the life style. He is back at school now.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:47 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

There was a death via shooting yesterday in Calgary, looks like a homicide. Not sure what that would put Calgary at, the police website currently shows 2 murders for 2016, so maybe this is the 3rd.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:57 PM

Ottawa is at 6 - a 24 year old woman died yesterday after being shot at her suburban home on the weekend.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 11:55 AM

Montreal at 2

A grocery store employee has been stabbed to death (at work) in St-Michel. At this stage, it is not known if she knew her assailant or not.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...s-une-epicerie

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 5:25 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Toronto is at 23.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 7:17 PM

Toronto at 25

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 7:42 PM
HVAC guru

Edmonton at 15 after a weekend beating death of a man in the Woodcroft neighbourood. Apparently up to five assailants beat him to death with baseball bats.

And just yesterday a tourist was randomly stabbed in the back while walking on 124th St with his wife. He didn't die but shows and increasing level of violence we're seeing in the city.

I was shocked when I checked the EPS crime map for my neighbourhood the other day. While there's usually only 3 or 4 reported incidents in my quiet area, there are almost 30 incidents reported, mostly car thefts and break & enters.

Downtown violence and disorder seems to be getting worse as well.

Edit: and another one last night, suspicious death in the Inglewood neighbourhood, if deemed murder would put Edmonton at 16 for the year so far

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada