HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 11:34 AM
It's Hammer Time

Daly: Maybe one day, but not with Balsillie

August 31, 2009
Ken Peters
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/626262

Will Hamilton ever be awarded an NHL franchise?

The answer, says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, is "maybe." But not with Jim Balsillie fronting the bid.

"There would certainly be nothing that would preclude Hamilton from being considered. But the board has already made its determination regarding the suitability of Mr. Balsillie as an owner for the Coyotes, and they have rejected his application. I don't expect that that decision will be revisited or reversed," Daly told The Spectator in an e-mail response.

The NHL voted early in August 26-0 to reject the Waterloo billionaire's franchise application. The NHL has argued that Balsillie can't be trusted and lacks the necessary integrity and character to become a league owner.

Earlier, Daly told The Spec that Hamilton remains a great market but the city has wedded the wrong hockey spouse in Balsillie.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 11:32 AM
It's Hammer Time

Another Ontario team seems likely
Leafs 'can't have the biggest Starbucks' all to themselves 'forever'

September 01, 2009
Steve Milton
The Hamilton Spectator
PHOENIX
http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/626955

As emphasized many times in this newspaper, Jim Balsillie's real problem with the National Hockey League began when he dropped the H-bomb.

And the unearthing of an internal letter from the Toronto Maple Leafs to the league suggests it was Leaf ownership that has cut Hamilton in half: from an eight-letter word to a four-letter one.

The Maple Leafs, as Team Balsillie has been loudly arguing during the legal labyrinth of the Phoenix Coyotes' bankruptcy, would do just about anything to preserve their territorial rights, and told their commissioner that in no uncertain terms in the 2006 letter.

So, when Balsillie ramped up his commitment to Copps Coliseum by spectacularly significant degrees through his attempted purchases of the Penguins, then the Predators and then the Coyotes, head office had to jump on him with both skates.

They are fighting this battle in the Leafs' stead: The NHL could not afford the perception, nor the legal ramifications, of a rogue franchise mussing its coiffured claim that no team had veto power over its territory. So Balsillie became the rogue.

This is not to suggest, as both Balsillie and Gary Bettman repeatedly have, that this lawyers' feeding frenzy is not personal. It's become very personal, and not just between the commish and the Marquis de BlackBerry. Now other owners are taking it personally.

The Leafs are still not commenting publicly on the situation, but you can understand their perspective.

They've got a several-headed ownership group that keeps paying escalated prices for extra equity, and they assumed they were getting the right to throw a blockade around Copps as part of the price. They also believe, rightly or wrongly, they've invested significantly in developing NHL fans in the area.

Around the time Bettman was receiving the We Tarzan letter from the Leafs, a source deep inside MLSE summarized the company's attitude toward a Hamilton team: "over our dead bodies."

The irony is that, a month or so before that damning letter was revealed to the public, the same source said the attitude inside the organization had shifted. MLSE was grasping that, as one former league governor described evolving league sentiments: "You can't have the biggest Starbucks all to yourself forever."

So, the Leafs have other governors' strong support against Balsillie, but very little support against a second team in their territory.

If Balsillie can survive tomorrow's hearing and wins at auction next week, he might not have to face the long-protracted appeal tie-up the NHL is promising.

Some governors are dead set against him but others have suggested privately that he, or another Hamilton-leaning owner, can make this happen in a hurry by doing one thing: working with the Leafs and Buffalo Sabres on an agreement before coming to the league again.

The Sabres, Leafs and Balsillie have to become partners, in a sense, and, while that seems preposterous in the current climate, money has always created strange bedfellows. Especially if Balsillie could find a buyer for the Sabres, who are clearly, if not glaringly, up for grabs.

Everyone knows a Hamilton team wouldn't cost the Leafs much, except a more transparent commitment to winning and they've already made that by hiring Brian Burke.

It's still probable Balsillie would grant the contract for managing Copps to MLSE, which manages buildings as a significant part of its corporate income.

And there is the prospect of Leafs TV getting the regional rights to a Hamilton team's games. More blue and white dough.

Plus, it's better for the Leafs for a second team to play in a building that already exists as competition to the Air Canada Centre.

Balsillie's sports franchise expert, the renowned Andrew Zimbalist, argues the NHL should receive only somewhere between $11 million and $13 million as a relocation fee, with a chunk earmarked for the Leafs.

If they ever get to negotiations, we assume Balsillie would be prepared to go higher than that to seal the deal. But not voluntarily in court, and not by NHL decree.

Zimbalist concedes Leaf ticket prices would dip but notes there is a long waiting list to take up the slack. Plus, a strong three-way low-travel-cost rivalry with Buffalo and Hamilton could up the appetite (and therefore demand and prices) for NHL hockey in the area.

Because the NHL is fighting this battle for them, the Leafs don't really have to do anything ... until they have to do something.

But, win or lose over the next two weeks, they are eventually going to have to confront the new reality that a second team on the shores of Lake Ontario, probably in Hamilton, is almost inevitable.

But, given the ugly history here, "almost" is the operative word.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 10:08 PM
It's Hammer Time

Court decision could end Balsillie's NHL dream or lead to more battles

September 01, 2009
Canadian Press
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/627415

PHOENIX - A decision by a U.S. bankruptcy judge in the blazing Arizona heat could allow Jim Balsillie to continue his pursuit of putting an NHL team in Hamilton, or test the cold resolve of the Canadian billionaire to fight the league in court.

If Judge Redfield T. Baum decides during a bankruptcy court hearing Wednesday to ignore an overwhelming vote by NHL owners rejecting Balsillie's bid to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes, it opens the door for him to participate in a Sept. 10 auction for the franchise.

But if Baum upholds the NHL's vote, Balsillie will have to decide if he has the will and deep pockets to battle the league in an antitrust suit.

"It is certainly still open to him to bring such a lawsuit," said Penn State professor Stephen Ross, a sports law and antitrust scholar.

Such litigation might take four years and cost more than US$10 million, Ross estimated. By then, the Coyotes could have a new owner and may not even be playing in Phoenix.

"Depending on who is owning the team and where they are, the remedy may be different," he said. "A court could conceivably order the NHL to add another team (in Ontario) or give him the right to buy another team or may just award him money damages.

"But certainly, even if he loses in the bankruptcy court, he still has a viable antitrust claim under either Canadian law or American law."

Eric Schaffer, a senior bankruptcy partner at the international law firm Reed Smith in Pittsburgh, believes if Wednesday's decision goes against Balsillie it could convince the co-CEO of BlackBerry maker Research In Motion it's time to give up the fight.

"If he loses on this one, then he probably is done as a potential owner," said Schaffer, who was involved in the Pittsburgh Penguins bankruptcy case. "It means you have a court decision that says the NHL does not have to take him in under any circumstances."

Both sides can appeal Baum's decision, but Ross doubts another court would overturn the ruling.

"The district judge is given a substantive degree of latitude on factual matters and predictive matters," he said. "It's going to take a very strong basis to overturn the discretion of the bankruptcy judge on that matter."

Balsillie has offered US$212.5 million to buy the Coyotes, a bid that is contingent on moving the team to Hamilton.
The NHL, which favours keeping the franchise in Phoenix for the time being, has bid $140 million.

The league made its surprising offer last week after Jerry Reinsdorf, who owns baseball's White Sox and the NBA's Bulls, withdrew his $148-million bid.

Reinsdorf walked away from the bargaining when he could not reach an agreement with the city of Glendale, the Phoenix suburb where the Coyotes play, to make the team viable in Jobing.com Arena.

The other bidder is Ice Edge Holdings LLC, a group of American and Canadian businessmen who plan to play five games in Saskatoon. Their offer is also contingent on reaching an agreement with Glendale.

The NHL owners voted 26-0 to reject Balsillie as an owner, saying he was perceived to be untrustworthy. Balsillie has also had failed bids to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins and Nashville Predators.

Ross said to win an antitrust case, Balsillie would have to prove the NHL objected to moving the Coyotes to Hamilton because they would be competition for the Toronto Maple Leafs and Buffalo Sabres.

If the NHL succeeds in buying the Coyotes, the league could sell the team to another owner who may relocate the franchise. It's even possible Reinsdorf could make another offer.

The Coyotes have lost more than $30 million in each of their last three seasons playing in Glendale.

Schaffer said there is a chance Baum could allow Balsillie to participate in the auction.

"I think a judge might say the NHL does not have complete discretion to make a decision without having some basis to decide, that they can not be simply arbitrary," he said.

"Remember, the judge is there to try and obtain the highest and best offer in the interest of maximizing distribution to creditors."

Ross isn't so sure, pointing out the court has rejected some of Balsillie's earlier arguments.

"If the judge were sympathetic to Balsillie's position, which is the NHL is behaving in a manner that is illegal under the antitrust laws and bankruptcy will not permit people to enforce rules that are illegal under federal law . . . he would have ruled in favour of Balsillie the first time," Ross said.

If Balsillie is blocked in his attempt to relocate the Coyotes, his chances of ever buying an NHL franchise are slim.

The battle between Balsillie and the league has been bitter, with both sides exchanging insults and allegations.

"In terms of him getting in by knocking on the door, and them inviting him in, there is no chance of that," Schaffer said.
"One way or another, he decided he wasn't going to get in there by being courteous. There seems to be a decision on both sides that this is total war."

Ross agreed the only way Balsillie might ever own a team is by muscling his way into the NHL.

"Balsillie has never taken that sort of sycophantic, brown-nosing approach to try and get a franchise," he said. "For a billionaire that has already shown that he is not trying to get into the league by schmoozing up the owners and the commissioner's office, it seems to me this alternative strategy is a viable one."

The fight over ownership of the Coyotes began on May 5 when owner Jerry Moyes surprised the league by taking the club into Chapter 11 bankruptcy with a plan to sell the franchise to Balsillie.

Moyes said he would be able to recoup $104 million of the $300 million he loaned the team if Balsillie bought them. He would get nothing under the NHL and Ice Edge bids.

The City of Glendale contends the Coyotes can not move unless they pay a $794-million penalty to get out of their current lease.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 10:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Balsillie ready to testify in bankruptcy court

Sep 01, 2009
Kevin McGran
SPORTS REPORTER
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/689431

PHOENIX – Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie will be in Phoenix on Wednesday, ready to testify in court as the battle for the bankrupt Coyotes heats up.

"Balsillie will be present at the hearing in order to respond to any questions the Court may have," reads a court filing submitted today by lawyers for PSE, the company Balsillie set up to purchase a hockey team.

It will be Balsillie's first appearance before bankruptcy court judge Redfield T. Baum since Balsillie set in motion a bid to buy the team and move it to Hamilton.

Commissioner Gary Bettman will also be in court. All the main players are expected, including owner Jerry Moyes and a phalanx of lawyers.

The judge has a number of issues to sort out this week, including whether he can award the team to Balsillie over the objections of the NHL. The league's board of governors rejected Balsillie as an owner.

The judge must also decide whether he can sell the team to an owner that would move it out of Glendale.

Balsillie has offered $212.5 million (U.S.) for the team, which includes a large payment to Moyes.

The NHL is offering $140 million – with no money for Moyes – with the intention of selling the team to an owner who would keep it in Phoenix.

Another group – Ice Edge – remains in the running for the Sept. 10 auction.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 2:33 PM

Anyone know what time the proceedings will take place today?

And any predictions?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 2:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

I believe it starts at noon, our time EST. So 8 or 9am their time.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 2:39 PM

Bettman has foolishly left himself without an escape plan.

No predictions, but if Balsillie ends up with the team, can the NHL in effect disown it?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 2:57 PM

^ I was wondering that myself. If JB ever won this battle, does the NHL have the authority to simply shut down the franchise? I'm really not sure.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

I imagine Balsillie would have a HUGE lawsuit or anti-trust lawsuit to the NHL if they eliminated the franchise. Plus eliminating the franchise would screw up the scheduling and divisions. I think they would have to just deal with it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 4:15 PM

The way things have been going, I would be surprised to see Judge Baum permitting a bid by Balsillie. The NHL's unanimous vote against permitting him as an owner must have a significant influence on his decision. Balsillie went 'all in' on this bid, and I don't think he has the cards. Trust me, I much would rather it be a different outcome, but it certainly doesn't look so good.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
The way things have been going, I would be surprised to see Judge Baum permitting a bid by Balsillie. The NHL's unanimous vote against permitting him as an owner must have a significant influence on his decision. Balsillie went 'all in' on this bid, and I don't think he has the cards. Trust me, I much would rather it be a different outcome, but it certainly doesn't look so good.
I'd say I feel the exact opposite. I'm not looking into the future and saying JB gets the team next week but I'd be very surprised if he is not allowed to participate in the auction.
This is a bankruptcy case and there are a lot of people that want their money.
Jim is the only guy that would truly pay the creditors. The NHL has included a relocation clause in their bid. Ice Edge has included a clause in their bid to play 5 home games in Canada to increase revenue. These things have to make it obvious to the judge that keeping this team in Phoenix is not seen as a viable option by any one. To me it it just doesn't make sense to throw out the best bid for the creditors. Today the NHL will really have to prove that they are rejecting Balsillie for good cause and I can't see how a group of crooks can say he's not up to their standards and prove it in court.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 4:29 PM

Live blog on National Post site covering Baum's decision. Baum is in session and the first item being considered is whether Balsillie's bid can be considered.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actonite View Post
I'd say I feel the exact opposite. I'm not looking into the future and saying JB gets the team next week but I'd be very surprised if he is not allowed to participate in the auction.
This is a bankruptcy case and there are a lot of people that want their money.
Jim is the only guy that would truly pay the creditors. The NHL has included a relocation clause in their bid. Ice Edge has included a clause in their bid to play 5 home games in Canada to increase revenue. These things have to make it obvious to the judge that keeping this team in Phoenix is not seen as a viable option by any one. To me it it just doesn't make sense to throw out the best bid for the creditors. Today the NHL will really have to prove that they are rejecting Balsillie for good cause and I can't see how a group of crooks can say he's not up to their standards and prove it in court.
On the topic of creditors, as reported in today's Toronto Star:

Quote:
SOF Investments, a secured creditor owed about $80 million U.S., basically said it was okay with all three bids: Balsillie's offer of $212.5 million, Ice Edge's offer of $150 million and the NHL's bid of $140 million. All three bids either pay SOF its money up front, or work out an arrangement to pay back the money with interest.

The committee of unsecured creditors, which had always supported the bid by Balsillie's company, PSE, says it doesn't like a lot of contingencies in the Ice Edge bid, but today said was happy with both Balsillie's offer and the NHL's.

"While none of the three offers propose to satisfy creditor claims in full, the Committee believes that the PSE and NHL offers are sufficiently definitive, provide sufficient funding for the administrative expenses of the bankruptcy cases, and provide a likely and meaningful return to most creditors," they wrote in a brief.

They expressed concern that by relocating the team to Hamilton, the judge might create more creditors whose contracts with the team would have to be ended.
Basically, the biggest creditor would be happy with any of the bids, and the unsecured creditors would be fine with Balsillie or the NHL, but also have concerns about a relocation adding to the list of creditors. They're not exactly rallying behind Balsillie's bid.

I agree that the NHL will need to offer acceptable rationale for rejecting Balsillie as an owner, but an inability to do so does not automatically qualify Balsillie as a bidder. If Baum allows his bid, the sale will be held up by loads of litigation o the part of the NHL, and Baum's primary duty is to resolve the bankruptcy in as timely a fashion as possible.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 5:34 PM
It's Hammer Time

So friggin tense right now. I hope to god Balsillie shots and scores but I have a feeling the NHL will catch the puck.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 6:49 PM
It's Hammer Time

This is really interesting......

2:48 "Judge Baum has asked Balsillie to reconsider his September 14th deadline."

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 7:01 PM
Closed account

2:46 p.m. "The court would be very reluctant" to prevent anyone who wants to bid from bidding, Baum says. SF

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
This is really interesting......

2:48 "Judge Baum has asked Balsillie to reconsider his September 14th deadline."
I hope they give the right answer to this question.
Short and to the point, yes.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 7:46 PM

Baum: Let me say this about that assertion: Given the entire history here, the court would be very reluctant, very, very reluctant to discourage anybody who wanted to make a bid from doing so. There's an awful lot here that the various parties and their attorney dispute and disagree on. But I don't think anybody disputes that the Coyotes, and the companies affiliated with them, that lost a lot of money for a lot of years, have got serious financial problems. If they had to go alone, probably, their doors would have closed about a year ago. So here we are. I guess I'll put it this way: Everybody better have a very, very compelling argument about why some bidder
ought to be, in the generic sense, punished for making a bid.
Unless I am missing something, this is a seriously positive nod PSE's direction.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 7:46 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
So friggin tense right now.
They're on a break till 4:40pm. Go get yourself a stiff drink.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 7:47 PM

I have to say I'm not optimistic about the way things have been going the past few weeks. Prepare for disappointment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation