HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 5:43 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Ha! Yeah, it should be koth. Gotta get that dyslexia out checked.

On a totally different note, the LA Times has some GREAT photos of the new LAUSD school campus on the former site of the Ambassador Hotel. While I still lament the loss of what should have been a landmarked building, the new buildings aren't bad at all.

http://framework.latimes.com/2010/09...hotel-site/#/0
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 11:52 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post

LOL, where besides Wilshire between Hauser and La Brea can you even find "post-streamline" architecture? Assuming you're referring to the style exemplified in the previous building I posted, that is.
It isn't found many places (unless there are examples of that type of architecture that I haven't seen). But it should be.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 9:55 PM

Hey everyone. I recently moved to LA (Koreatown) a couple of weeks ago after a few years in Philadelphia, so it looks like I'll be joining this and the Downtown development threads. Anyhow, here's a few photos I took today and yesterday of the very newly opened Robert Kennedy Inspiration Park, next to Wilshire along the old Ambassador Hotel site.

From Flickr

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
Hey everyone. I recently moved to LA (Koreatown) a couple of weeks ago after a few years in Philadelphia, so it looks like I'll be joining this and the Downtown development threads. Anyhow, here's a few photos I took today and yesterday of the very newly opened Robert Kennedy Inspiration Park, next to Wilshire along the old Ambassador Hotel site.
Nice photos Muji, and welcome.

There's something about this park that doesn't quite work. I think perhaps its the fact that its lower than the sidewalk, and has that wall on the far side. Its like a big hole. It doesn't look like a pleasant place to sit and relax. I would like to hear the landscape architect's explanation as to why they designed the park this way.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

There's something about this park that doesn't quite work. I think perhaps its the fact that its lower than the sidewalk, and has that wall on the far side. Its like a big hole. It doesn't look like a pleasant place to sit and relax. I would like to hear the landscape architect's explanation as to why they designed the park this way.
It's like a mini-Pershing Square - all concrete and uninviting

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAmarODom420 View Post
It's like a mini-Pershing Square - all concrete and uninviting
Totally. What's up with those big concrete blocks? It makes it look cold and unfinished.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 4:09 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Welcome to LA Muji and thanks for the pics of the RKIP. It doesn't much look like a functional park in the traditional sense but the trees and greenery are not too bad. It will be a nice place for students to hang out and chill I suppose.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 2:04 PM

Hey all. Two projects i found, one is under construction, the other one has been completed. Don't know if they've been discussed here or if they're even worth discussing.
Anyway, under construction is a new Cedars-Sinai building that's supposed to be completed in 2013

And the Kenmore tower in Koreatown has apparently been completed

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 6:40 PM

Regarding the Koreatown park:

I think it's a nice addition to that part of Wilshire, but I agree it isn't the larger "park" we had all hoped for.

However, there is a much better opportunity just right down the street to make a great park out of the front lawn of the Wilshire Park Place at Wilshire and Oxford.

I know it's private (probably owned by dead beat landlord Jamison Properties), so we don't have a lot of hope for it, but who knows, maybe down the line, this piece of green grass lawn could be RETHOUGHT and converted to a nice park (albeit private and better maintained) and be in a much better location (closer to more action at Wilshire/Western).

Image from google maps

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Aren't there enough "Parks" in Ktown? (sorry, I promise never to do that again.)

Generally I'm always in favor of parks, but that particular stretch already has considerable open space facing Wilshire, in the form of set-backs and plazas. I don't think converting open space such as that in front of Wilshire Park Place does much. This area already has a nice balance between the density of DT (more plazas and vest-pocket parks needed) and the sparsity of CC (more highrise and lowrise buildings needed).

I am guessing that some insulation of the RFK park area from Wilshire was intended. If the bulk of the people in the park are going to be high school students, the potential for minor "kids being kids" issues or showing off cars on Wilshire may be a concern.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 5:59 PM
BANNED

Chef B: thanks for the postings. It's good to remember that there is stuff getting done and that density is coming along, building by building. The Cedars/Beverly Center area has all the markings of a walkable urban center, mini-DT, from Robertson to past La Cienega. Bring on the Purple and Pink.

Nightlife is also increasing in Ktown, even along Wilshire, which used to be pretty dead at night. I have heard of issues being raised by tenants around Wilshire and Normandy due to club noise.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Chef B: thanks for the postings. It's good to remember that there is stuff getting done and that density is coming along, building by building. The Cedars/Beverly Center area has all the markings of a walkable urban center, mini-DT, from Robertson to past La Cienega. Bring on the Purple and Pink.

Nightlife is also increasing in Ktown, even along Wilshire, which used to be pretty dead at night. I have heard of issues being raised by tenants around Wilshire and Normandy due to club noise.

In an area like Koreatown which is in transition from a hell hole after the riots to a viable and affordable location for new middle-class residents, the last thing people should be worried about is more night life, which brings a sense of safety (depending on the crowd of course) due to just having people on the streets and sidewalks underneath dark, ficus-covered streets at night.

Also, Koreatown happens to be in the MIDDLE of literally one of the biggest cities on the continent. A little noise is expected and I think it's been waaaay too quiet for waaaay too long.

Bring on more night life in a very dead-on-the-streets Koreatown (as long as the crowds do not result in violence and gunshots).

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 9:58 AM
Californialove from C/D

City Futcha!!

The Future of this City!! Can't wait to check these out!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 4:29 PM
BANNED

LAB: agreed. These clubbers are mostly clean-cut Asian kids and the bars are a mix of hipsters and artsy types. Not a trouble kind of crowd.

As you suggest, Ktown is quite active for night-life but it doesn't show on the streets so much. But it could given the large open plazas that mark many of the high-rises along Wilshire from Vermont all the way to BH.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

I just strolled the area this afternoon. A few observations:

1) Only that specific part of the park is below the level of the sidewalk. The entrances to the park along the edges, where people would naturally approach the park if they were walking along Wilshire from the east or west, are at sidewalk level.

2) Not enough trees and greenery. There's some but it could definitely use more.

3) Way too much concrete. Its everywhere, a lot of it is exposed and uninteresting, very blocky. Also, because of 2) above, it gets hot with the constant overhead summer sunlight.

4) Small.

5) Big image of RFK, a swirly metal thing, some oversized quotes by the likes of Maya Angelou and Cesar Chavez and . . . that's it? Very forgettable memorial. Considering they all but wiped out the Cocoanut Grove and Ambassador, kind of a piss poor job to remember one of the more significant events in America's political history. It's a shame.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 3:50 PM

Muji Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
Hey everyone. I recently moved to LA (Koreatown) a couple of weeks ago after a few years in Philadelphia, so it looks like I'll be joining this and the Downtown development threads.
Muji! Congratulations on the move! LA looks great and I hope you get out of your relocation what you hope for. I just moved to Portland, OR last week myself, so I too went from East to West. Should this have been a PM?

Go 30/10! If LA can do it....

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
Go 30/10! If LA can do it....
I really don't like to get involved in politics, but LA MUST to do it...in the next few weeks...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 4:59 AM

Thanks for the welcome everyone. The Robert Kennedy park does actually include a grassier and greener section which is pretty difficult to photograph (sorry for the lack of photos). I personally rather enjoy the park, which provides plentiful seating options, something that really can't be said for a lot of other green spaces. However I've never seen more than 3 people inside at any given time so perhaps it is uninviting to others.

Good luck with your move to Portland, Dieselpolo!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 5:11 PM
Ascension

Did anyone else besides me go to Glow Santa Monica last night? That event needs to happen every year. An OBSCENE amount of people enjoying all of the very cool and interactive exhibits. Some of them included a 150 foot long DNA double helix, a glowing bridge that ended near the ocean, a karaoke bar that shone your face on a giant globe 100 feet in the air, and (my personal favorite) a exhibit where a camera recorded your hand, and projected in on the ground from another camera 100 feet in the air. It was fun pointing and 'grabbing' all of the people. I would have to estimate that around 200,000 people showed up. Probably a lot more. But as the event grows, there needs to be a bit more to do.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Did anyone else besides me go to Glow Santa Monica last night? That event needs to happen every year. An OBSCENE amount of people enjoying all of the very cool and interactive exhibits. Some of them included a 150 foot long DNA double helix, a glowing bridge that ended near the ocean, a karaoke bar that shone your face on a giant globe 100 feet in the air, and (my personal favorite) a exhibit where a camera recorded your hand, and projected in on the ground from another camera 100 feet in the air. It was fun pointing and 'grabbing' all of the people. I would have to estimate that around 200,000 people showed up. Probably a lot more. But as the event grows, there needs to be a bit more to do.
I was there last night. And, I have to applaud Metro last night for running the Rapid 720 ALL NIGHT LONG to let people take transit to the event. I took the Rapid 720 at 3 am from Ocean Avenue back to downtown LA. Awesome!

You have to give it to Metro...when there is a big event, they do plan ahead and increase service (i.e. U2 concert, Lakers championship parade, bicycle tour, and now Glow).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations