HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted May 30, 2006, 5:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^Yeah. Almost rented on Proudfoot meself, but opted instead for a commie block across from the (incredible shrinking) Westmount Mall. I've just moved into a home in the Northwest quadrant of London (Hyde Park)

Old Posted May 31, 2006, 1:09 AM

I have a nice view of Proudfoot from my building at Wonderland & Oxford (Trillium Towers). The rent isn't that cheap here either but it's pretty good considering the size of the units.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 12:37 AM
Londoner

New Apartment!

Here are some new pics from a future Apartment on commissoners road west.
One of the pics have a crane to be put up still.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 1:00 AM

Why is London continuing to build Commie style crap? There are so many ugly apartment towers in town already.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2006, 2:43 AM

Last edited by Snark; Jan 19, 2008 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2006, 2:07 AM
Londoner

The new Surgical And Diagnostic Imaging Centre

New Addition To St Joseph's Hospital Opens June 7th
The new Surgical And Diagnostic Imaging Centre at St Joseph's Hospital in London officially opens on June 7th.
The new facility boasts more space, more comfort, and better technology.

There are ten new operating rooms, each with the latest technology, including the ability to send video to other operating rooms.

The new Diagnostic Imaging Centre is also moving towards new technology including digital xrays, mammograms, and CT scans.

Here's some more info and pics have fun!

http://www.londonhospitals.ca/vision/stjosephs.htm

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 5:15 PM

Here's some more public news on the Ridout site:

Core in for $100M boost

Thu, June 8, 2006

A twin-tower residential development would create more than 400 new units downtown.

By NORMAN DE BONO, FREE PRESS BUSINESS REPORTER

A massive, $100-million twin tower development is in the works for downtown London.

The project could rise 26 storeys and bring more than 400 apartment units to the core.

"This will bring the heartbeat back to downtown. The core is going to rock again," said George Georgopoulos, senior sales associate for Sutton Group Select. "He (developer Joe Carapella) is looking at twin towers. This will be his signature buildings."

Carapella, owner of Tricar Group, has bought the 0.8-hectare Ridout block, site of the former Ridout Tavern and now a parking lot, and is planning the development amid business community buzz.

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Loc...19990-sun.html

Old Posted Jun 8, 2006, 11:54 PM

Old Posted Jun 9, 2006, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark
Maybe, just maybe - the old way of doing things in the downtown is coming to an end, to be replaced by better things!
I'm pleased to see that this building will be on the high end of things. As much as any development in the core is good news, diversity in housing is important for a revitalization, lest we see what was happening to Dundas St. (but now appears to be changing course) creep throughout the downtown. A mix of residents across the socio-economic scale should bring new and different sorts of businesses and hopefully, new office space tenants.

I'm wondering what these developments will do to the smaller multi-dwelling unit market. We're going to have a real influx of supply with such tall buildings going in, but I think Londoners have a real affinity for the non-standard apartments in older homes and walk-ups.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2006, 4:10 PM

Are these condos or apartments?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 2:24 AM
Londoner

Twin tower development news!

Twin tower development news!

I also here at there might be an over road walkway tunnel to the john Labatt centre from the 100-million twin tower development across the street.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 3:41 AM

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy
Are these condos or apartments?
The article says apartments but as this is very preliminary, I suppose that could change.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark
Interesting, and yet more good news, but difficult to understand the motivation. Does the developer expect that a sizable portion of tennants for this development will be huge hockey or concert fans that can't stand to walk all the way across King street outdoors for the 4 months of the year when it is cold? What's more, the distance from the south face of the JLC to the south side of King street is about 75 meters - that's a l - o - n - g skywalk!

Or is there more to this story?
Further to this, there is a crosswalk at Ridout and King, which will be the northwest corner of this development. There's another at King and Talbot, about 40 metres from the northeast corner. A skywalk doesn't make any sense to me.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 5:49 PM

The component you good folks aren't thinking about is the parking component. The developer is building a fairly significant parking area that will be used by the public. Also, there was talk of a hotel, but I was told that now the hotel won't be included (but who knows?).

This development is awesome news for London. What other cities London's size is getting twin 26 storey buildings? Along with the Auburn 23 storey tower, the twin 25 storey CityPlace at Dundas and Wellington, and all the other development, I think London has added a lot of towers and density that was much needed.

We all hope that this buildings look good and I think they will.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2006, 7:30 PM

Not to be cynical, but twin 26 floor towers in that part of downtown falls in the "I will believe it when I see it" category....

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 2:59 AM

Last edited by Snark; Jan 19, 2008 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 3:22 PM
Londoner

London tourism enjoys record haul

Tue, June 13, 2006

By NORMAN DE BONO, FREE PRESS BUSINESS REPORTER

Guests check in yesterday at the Four Points Sheridan on Wellington Road in London. Visitors to the city spent $33.7 million more in 2005 -- a 7.6 per cent increase over the previous year. (Craig Glover, LFP)
London tourism has become a billion-dollar industry, setting records in 2005 for visitors to the city and money spent here, Tourism London reported yesterday.

The city had more visitors last year, 1.45 million, than ever before and they pumped record cash, $478.1 million, directly into the city.

"This is just awesome," said Mike Harris, communications manager for Tourism London. "To show that kind of growth is just outstanding."

The city benefited from a jump in sports tourism, more conferences and conventions and bus tours for shows at the John Labatt Centre, he said.

"It is a combination of a lot of things," said Harris. "We are hosting major events. I think this is huge for the city. A lot of money is being generated here from out of town."

An economic impact analysis of tourism in London released yesterday by the Canadian Tourism Research Institute, a division of the Conference Board of Canada, detailed solid growth across the city's tourism sector. London tourism generated slightly more than $1 billion in economic activity nationally.

The figure includes, for example, people buying a plane ticket in Halifax to come here or a local restaurant importing food for its diners.

As for money spent directly in London, visitors spent $33.7 million more in 2005 -- a 7.6-per-cent increase over the previous year. The report also shows London hosted 52,000 more people from a year earlier, a 3.8-per-cent increase -- the highest number on record, said Harris.

As visitor numbers climbed, so did the amount of money they spent. London's hotel revenue grew 8.7 per cent to $73.4 million and spending in restaurants grew by six per cent to $74.1 million. Visitor spending in retail stores was measured at $98.8 million, an increase of eight per cent over 2004.

Growth came as the number of U.S. visitors to London dropped by four per cent -- offset by a 4.8-per-cent increase in the number of visitors from other parts of Canada. International visitors from countries other than the U.S. grew by six per cent.

"London is now on the radar," said Lori Da Silva, manager of the London Convention Centre. "People are looking at alternatives to Metro Toronto for meetings and it is easier now to get in and out of the city."

The convention centre hosted 33 overnight meetings or conventions in 2005, compared to 21 in 2004, she said. The centre had 10,000 visitors walk through its York Street doors and enjoyed sales growth of 8.7 per cent over 2004, with total revenue of $3.7 million. Da Silva estimates the centre generated more than $9 million in economic activity for the city.

As for sports tourism, the top two 2005 events were the Memorial Cup, which generated $6.8 million in economic activity, and the Word Transplant Games which saw 1,500 athletes here -- generating $8.5 million, said Paul Hardy, manager for Sports Tourism.

"We had some pretty well- attended, high-profile events last year and that had an impact," he said.

This year may also prove strong, as the city has enjoyed the Scott Tournament of Hearts which generated $5 million. The World Field Lacrosse Championships, to be held this summer, will see almost 2,000 players attend and an LPGA event will also raise the city's profile with national media, Hardy added.

Another growth area has been motor coach tours -- bus tours coming in from the U.S. as well as Ontario, said Marty Rice, manager of leisure travel for Tourism London. Three years ago, the city had no motor coach business, but last year it saw about 100 overnight tours, approximately 10 more than in 2004.

"We have seen an increase in day traffic -- people here for John Labatt Centre concerts in the evening," he said.

Of the visitors to London last year, 85.4 per cent were from Canada, 11.3 per cent from the U.S. and 2.3 per cent were from other countries.

Tourism is directly responsible for more than 6,500 jobs in London, the report stated.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2006, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinottawa
Not to be cynical, but twin 26 floor towers in that part of downtown falls in the "I will believe it when I see it" category....
Maybe what you do not see is that this developer is not just a "pie in the sky" group. This land was jointly owned by about 7 different groups and are all high profile business people. They have another property downtown that they are sitting on until the time is right for development. They have sold this parcel of land to one developer, Tricar Group, who IS going to develop it. The city of London also granted this group temporary parking for the site.

There will also be money coming from the City of London to the developer to build the parking structure.

This is going to happen and it will be an awesome project for London. London could use some nice towers in this location and will add to the skyline I am sure.

As I said before, what other city in Canada under 500,000 people has this many towers built downtown in the short time we have?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2006, 3:39 PM
Londoner

Skyline makeover

Skyline makeover

The twin towers will transform the look of downtown.

Here's some pics from the twin towers from the free press!

http://www.canoe.ca/LondonPDF/20060616.pdf

They're the new kids on the block on London's downtown skyline -- and now we finally know what they'll look like.

Developer Joe Carapella's planned $100-million, twin-tower project on the Ridout block would rise to new heights as the tallest downtown residential buildings.

They'd also extend the core's rebirth -- booming from new residential developments and the city's new arena -- to a block that's had nothing new, giving the downtown yet another anchor for growth.

"I have a lot of faith in London and the future of this city," Carapella said yesterday.

"London will grow and prosper. This is a triple-A location and warrants a project of this scale and magnitude," said Carapella.

Renderings provided by Carapella's Tricar Group show two gradually tapered towers rising to 28 storeys, each crowned at the top by an upward-sloping middle roof.

The towers will command a view below of some of the city's crown jewels, from the historic forks of the Thames to Covent Garden Market and the John Labatt Centre, the former courthouse and Museum London.

The project will contain 600 residential units and is expected to bring more than 1,000 people to live in the core.

City planner John Fleming has seen Carapella's drawings and praised the design.

"This is a very exciting project. It is fantastic for downtown revitalization," he said.

The site, overlooking key attractions and with shops and eateries nearby, is "ideal" for residential use, he added.

"I can't think of a better residential site downtown. This will add a sense of community and also provide a street life at night," he said.

Tricar has applied for site rezoning and has turned in a site plan to the city. It will go to planning committee in August and then to council.

If approved, construction could begin in the fall and the first building be ready for occupancy in about two years.

"This is exactly the kind of residential development we have always believed is critical for the downtown," said Mayor Ann Marie DeCicco.

"More people downtown will keep businesses in the core and attract new ones."

The 0.8-hectare site will also feature 1,000 parking spaces -- 300 in each tower, with five levels in each (one below ground and four above), and 400 in a five-level public parking garage between the towers.

The garage will feature a roof-top garden for tenants. The ground level will offer space for shops and stores.

The living units will range from 700 square feet to 2,200 square feet for the penthouse units, since Carapella wants the project to appeal to everyone from single people to empty-nesters.

Rents will range from $1,000 to $2,200 a month.

"There has to be wide appeal when you have these many units," Carapella said. "I know it is ambitious, but I think the city is ready for a project like this."

The project may also help ignite a "spark" downtown, building on the market, the JLC, the Central Library and restaurants and nightlife now in the core, said DeCicco.

"We need to create an energy, a spark of rejuvenation. The downtown is coming together and it is very exciting to see," she said.

Downtown businesspeople praise the proposal, saying they can't wait for more people to live and shop in the core.

"I just love the fact the downtown is growing again and way more people are moving downtown," said Shelley Shepherd, who works at Petacular on York Street.

"It will be fantastic. We need more people living down here, shopping here. London is so spread out. We need people here."

The city offers an incentive program waiving development fees and a property-tax rebate for 10 years for downtown residential developments.

Janette MacDonald, manager of MainStreet London, estimates Carapella saved more than $2 million in development fees alone on the project.

Carapella paid just under $5-million for the site, which doesn't include buildings on the eastern portion of the block. He also bought the car wash at Ridout and King streets.

"I have been committed to downtown for a long time," said Carapella, referring to Picton Place, a downtown residential development he built about eight years ago.

The twin towers will front on King and Ridout streets. The units will feature high-end finishes including large windows, nine-foot ceilings, ceramic tile, crown moulding and designer kitchens.

Carapella said the city has been "very bullish" on the project.

"The city has been unbelievably co-operative," he said. "Their mandate is to get development downtown and they will do whatever they can within reason. The sooner we get started on this, the better."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates