HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 6:41 AM

Can you point me in the direction of the freeware autostitch program you're familiar with? I looked around a bit yesterday and this trial version was the best I could do (it seems to me to be really good and easy to use, but for the damned watermark).

I also couldn't quite figure out the photoshop photostitch command. None of the sub-commands from the Automate command seem to be photostitch commands. But I could be missing something...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2006, 9:36 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

I downloaded it a few weeks ago, no watermark.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2006, 6:05 AM

Thanks. I downloaded that program. Easy to use, okay for match lines (I had to manually rotate all the images to get a good result), but the end product--at least with this set of images is not that hot. I didn't spend a lot of time manipulating the image, but its a bit distorted and not that flattering for architecture. Having a hard time envisioning ZGF or Ankrom real enthusiastic about this shot. Doesn't cost a thing though

Old Posted Mar 29, 2006, 4:19 PM

autostitch is great for panaramas too

Old Posted Mar 29, 2006, 4:44 PM

Quote:
autostitch is great for panaramas too
I've never taken photography lessons before so I hope this isn't a really dumb question, but what is autostitch?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2006, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan
I've never taken photography lessons before so I hope this isn't a really dumb question, but what is autostitch?
Its a mode digital cameras have that locks the focus, zoom and aperture. You can then take an exposure, pan the camera horzontally (or vertically i guess) and take another, and so on. Then once the images are downloaded to your desktop you use software that stiches the multiple photgraphs into one. Especially useful for shots that need a wide angle lens, but you don't have one.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2006, 10:01 PM

^Thanks...I've been meaning to take an elective photography course. Hopefully this fall.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2006, 6:01 AM

I think the crane has gotten taller too. It seems like you can see it better over the buildings when you come through the tunnel. Damn daily commute on 26!!!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 5:39 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

building almost looks a bit like an aquarium, doesn't it? ...a big, tall, expensive aquarium...

Interestingly, I was waiting for the streetcar next to the art museum, and was able to see into one of the townhouse-like units facing 10th. Except it wasn't like a townhouse: very skinny - 15' wide? And deep. very deep. Man, talk about no privacy - just a big glass wall at one end, and dark at in the back.

Not for my taste... I would much prefer light coming in from all areas, like the Standpoint project for Portland's eastside that kinda died.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 10:38 PM

long skinny condos

Zil, that is an interesting comment you made about the long shotgun condo in the Eliot. I don't really understand why these things work in a gray overcast city like Portland, but some people say they provide more light than it appears from the outside. Comments?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2006, 10:52 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Hmm.

Well, you'd get this 'light at the end of the tunnel' effect. Since the end IS practically one big piece of glass, it IS going to let a lot of light in. However, its obviously imbalanced... which is why they usually put the bathrooms & closets at the other end of the apartment.

You can also put divider partition walls to separate the bedroom from the dining/kitchen area, and leave the rest of the apartment fairly open... gives it a loft kind of feeling, allowing light to spill into the bedroom over the top of the wall. That would be one possibility.

These units were all sheetrocked & plastered white, and I was able to see some sort of bulge in the ceiling, probably for the air vent/heating/cooling system.

Basically, it would be a real challenge to make habitable. Much rather deal with units in the Mosaic - although cramped, you get interesting floor plans, at least.

I guess the bottom line is some people will just settle for less.. and you could do some really interesting cutting edge design work in there if you wanted to.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeternes
Zil, that is an interesting comment you made about the long shotgun condo in the Eliot. I don't really understand why these things work in a gray overcast city like Portland, but some people say they provide more light than it appears from the outside. Comments?
I don't think they build them this way because they work well. They build them this way because they're cheap (maximized square footage for each unit). If they didn't call them lofts, they would even be illegal because the "bedroom" does not have a window.

This developer in particular uses this floorplan ubiquitously. Most of the units in The Gregory, The Edge, The Elizabeth, and the Eliott have this type of floorplan. As you can tell, I'm personally not a big fan. I like all four of these buildings, but the shotgun floorplans disappointed me every time the units came up for sale.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2006, 6:23 AM

skinny units

I see what you mean. I have seen ads for lofts on craigslist where the owner makes a point os saying he or she has gone to great expense to build a real bedroom not only with walls but also with a true ceiling, which must indicate that at least some people don't like them. I thought there was some kind of urban chic associated with these plans but maybe it is just because it is cheaper.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2006, 11:32 PM

^However, the shot gun units on the corners are pretty sweet. 2 walls of glass!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2006, 2:28 AM

That will be so fine once it's completed. The Terra Cotta alone is priceless.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 2:49 PM

Tower of glass rises above the fishbowl

Over the past 18 months, Katarina Czege inspected more than half of the 223 units in the new Eliot Tower, making sure that construction details matched design specs. At some point, the architectural designer for Ankrom-Moisan Associated Architects had seen enough of the 18-story, glass-walled condo at 1221 S.W. 10th Ave.

She decided to move in.

"The entire team's goal was to make it one of the best buildings in Portland," Czege says of the Eliot's architects and builders. "I think we did."

Today she lives in an 854-square foot unit on a lower floor facing 10th Avenue. Like all units, the exterior wall of her living room is glass from floor to ceiling. Glazing accounts for 60 percent of the Eliot's exterior, Czege says, making it the "glassiest" building in Portland.

Some office buildings may look all glass from the outside, but many glass panels cover insulation and structural elements. This becomes apparent at night, when interior lights make clear which panels are windows and which are not.

Given building codes, Czege doubts any new tower could have a higher percentage of glass walls than the Eliot. Which raises the question: Does living at the Eliot feel like living in a fishbowl?

"That's the biggest surprise," says Czege, who moved in late in May. "I was worried that you could see the entire living room from the street.

"You really can't. Unless you stand right against the window, people can't see you. In fact, I find the opposite. I can see everybody on the street. It can be really entertaining." The units offer a push-out window and a sliding door to allow fresh air. The glass curtain wall was manufactured by Benson Global, a Portland-based firm that engineers and builds glass walls and windows for buildings around the world. The Eliot's units come with no window shades, but tenants can buy a roll-up screen that filters 95 percent of sunlight. Czege has yet to decide whether she needs one.

"I like the morning light," she says. "That's why I chose this side of the building." But she also finds streetlights brighter than she expected at night.

Czege moved from an 800-square foot apartment at RiverPlace that had a semi-private garden. "I kind of miss it," she says of the garden. "But there's so much green when you come in here. You see the street trees first."

The Eliot's interior offers few solid walls, although tenants can add more if they wish. In Czege's unit, only the bathroom is fully enclosed. Kitchen, living and dining spaces flow together.

"It feels enormous," Czege says. "That has a lot do with not having the extra walls." Not to mention a wall of glass.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 7:12 PM

this is probably one of the best residential buildings in Portland in terms of the quality of construction material and finishes. The shot gun units are less to be desired but the corner units are spectacular! However, I may be a little biased toward the building since I have a slice of it.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 9:26 PM

Image the siding and detail of the Eliot project on the more elegant and better scaled Benson tower. Now that would have been a site.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 10:17 PM

Is the Eliot having trouble selling? I see a huge banner on the side of the building advertising units which I cant recall seeing before in Portland for a finished condo project.

While I am a big fan of the Benson Tower, I have to say that the facade going up on the Benson is very disappointing.

The Benson is already a tall and slender tower and its only on floor 20 now with another 7-8 floors to go.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 11:21 PM

^I said the same thing to a friend when we were walking past this weekend. Most of the retail spaces are empty, though I heard Umpqua Bank was opening a branch there. However, I have never seen a 'now selling condos' type banner, ever before, on a completed building. The outside is great, but those shotgun units might just be too dark for the price?

The Benson Tower facade is really cheap looking. Nothing like the renderings. I hope it turns out better when the product is finished. I don't much care for the Civic's skin either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland