HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 5:44 AM
Green Berniecrat

SAN FRANCISCO | 631 Folsom Street | 209 FT / 64 M | 21 FLOORS

While this project may not be as significant, it still deserves its own thread I guess.

631 Folsom Street, 209', and 21 Floors, is currently under what looks to be preliminary construction phases.

Renderings:

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 5:50 AM

I mentioned this in another thread, but I will do it again......

Current status is that there is a fence around it, some excavators, bulldozers, and still dirt.
芝加哥 Chicago: Trump Tower, Waterview Tower

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 5:54 AM
Green Berniecrat

All the "big" building in SF are getting all the attention, we seem to have forgotten those buildings who, sadly, cannot reach as high into the heavens (or fog). Thus, it is my duty to make them known to the general public

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 6:01 AM
BANNED

More renderings from http://www.handelarchitects.com/main.html#1.0.1.2

A sample unit:

Building description from the architect (which happens to be the same firm that also is doing 301 Mission):

Quote:
Size: 205,000 SF
Cost: $60 Million

The design for 631 Folsom Street incorporates goals established in the Rincon Place, the Transbay Plan, and the General Plan for downtown San Francisco by creating a high-density project that preserves sunlight and air, provides open space, and enhances the development of the area.

The project consists of a 21-story residential tower over a single-story podium containing retail space and a residential lobby along. The storefront facade is setback to align with the existing street-wall. Further enhancing the pedestrian street life will be the new open space park between 633 and 631 Folsom.

The massing is tall and slender to maintain view corridors, provide sunlight and air at street level, and give units natural light. The light-colored pre-cast concrete, the bluish glass, and metal curtain wall give the facades an expression of lightness and transparency.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 6:03 AM
Green Berniecrat

Hmm, even though its not that big, I seem to like those units. Not a bad addition!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminisence
All the "big" building in SF are getting all the attention, we seem to have forgotten those buildings who, sadly, cannot reach as high into the heavens (or fog). Thus, it is my duty to make them known to the general public
There's like 4 more smaller projects at the Civic Center and outside of downtown, Argenta, Symphony Tower I, Fillmore Heritage, and Arterra. These are all below 20 stories (17, 13,14, and 17 respectively), but there is a 19 story thread here on a building in Sacramento.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 6:12 AM
Green Berniecrat

Hahaha, how low can we go huh. Well I dont know, I created 4 new threads today (or yesterday) and hopefully gained more spotlight for SF among the cities of the world. Plus, Sacramento, isnt known too well for highrises (until now that is ), so It would seem that 19 stories is deserving of a thread for them.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 6:18 AM

^^^Well, a lot of the threads on the first page now are SAN FRANCISCO. I'm sure as long as there are new posts here, many people will see SF's building boom documented here.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 6:28 AM
Green Berniecrat

And with good reason too. There seems to be more activity here than in most other places. However, if those other 4 projects were to be added, we may see only SF projects on the first page.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 6:32 AM

Hahahahahaha, SF is hogging the first page now.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 6:41 AM
Green Berniecrat

Preety soon, people will have no choice but to click on one of these threads. A testiment to the SF highrise boom, heh.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 6:46 AM

Is it me or is it kinda obnoxious to post in every SF thread in a matter of a half hour even if you really don't have much to add???

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 6:56 AM
Green Berniecrat

Its just you (I'm just kidding, heh). These 4 threads are actually SF projects that never really recieved too much attention here in the threads, and are soon to begin, or have already begun construction. That, and it is also an effort to make the general public more aware of the growing rank of SF in terms of highrise construction. Since most of these have just begun construction, information will soon become more available and we can begin to post it on here.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 7:20 AM

Then I guess I will be responsible for posting construction pictures for each and every construction site in SF. The 300 Spear thread has probably 60 pictures from me taken from June-September when I used to work at downtown SF. I guess the 555 Mission thread has gone on too long without a construction picture, it seems, so there will be one there tomorrow, thanks to my stupid erratic internet, which prevented me from doing so today.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 8:28 AM

Other cities in the United States and the rest of the world can just as easily dominate the first page of the highrise section just as well or even more. As many of us know, there are highrise booms happening in many cities all over the world. Yes, San Francisco does have many new projects to be excited about after many years of little or nothing, but try not to appear too egocentric. Imagine if some small town you might not really care about puts up 10 or 12 posts for every one of its 10 to 15 story new projects here in the Highrise section within just a few weeks time? I would rather have the relatively minor San Francisco projects appear in the California section instead. If some of you feel otherwise, you still may have the right to continue, but I am concerned about others. I am also concerned about San Francisco.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 2:42 PM

i do believe all these posts regarding EVERY san francisco project is excessive. 1160 mission? 631 folsom? come on now. these projects aren't even architectually significant. and 535 mission really isn't even a project because it's being reworked. 340 fremont and 375 fremont shouldn't be here till they actually begin construction next year. i say lock a majority of these threads and concentrate your discussions of the smaller projects to either the california forum or the rundown thread in the city compilations page.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 2:50 PM

you guys are really taking this overboard. This is a 200' building - if someone from Dubai put up a separate thread for all of their uc buildings over 200' tall, they might have over 500 in the highrise section alone. This has got to be the shortest building in the highrise section here. Let's not make this excessive. And it sort of makes us look silly when you have 5 or 6 posters continually posting every 10 minutes on every SF highrise, fretting about whether the building is actually 2 feet taller than what Emporis says or what the project's website says. Clearly there is some excitement about these buildings, but relax people!!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOneFive
i do believe all these posts regarding EVERY san francisco project is excessive. 1160 mission? 631 folsom? come on now. these projects aren't even architectually significant. and 535 mission really isn't even a project because it's being reworked. 340 fremont and 375 fremont shouldn't be here till they actually begin construction next year. i say lock a majority of these threads and concentrate your discussions of the smaller projects to either the california forum or the rundown thread in the city compilations page.
Thank You! Most of the threads are rife with speculation, pie in the sky ideas, or mindless discussion (see: broken window @ 300 Spear. OH NOES!!!!). Someone had to say it.

Will Rogers once said, "children in San Francisco are taught two things: love the Lord and hate Los Angeles."

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 3:34 PM
Pacific Wonderland

There has been a thread about some 22 story tower in Delaware for over a year here. Just as I thought that was a bit silly for its own thread, this one is, too. Just my opinion, just not enough room here for the smaller stuff.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 5:25 PM
BANNED

One thing I find frustrating about SSP from time to time is that there are rules but they seem to be made to be broken--but only by SOME people. In this case, if you bother to read the rules of this particular part of the forum, they say: "*To be in this forum, the aforementioned 'highrise' must also be at least 15 stories or 200ft (61m) tall."

I may be mistaken, but I think each of the projects posted meets that and the other required criteria so if the person or persons starting the threads want to discuss them at length it seems better to do it in a separate thread rather than to hijack existing "tidbits" threads or whatever.

That was my feeling when they were started last night and it remains so. It isn't a question of who has more threads or a contest to dominate the board.

On the other hand, I do think it's a mistake to post rank speculation or inane chatter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive