HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #381  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 10:10 AM
Vorkuta's Avatar
Vorkuta Vorkuta is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Moncton, NB
Posts: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Once again, there are no "Tories", there are Liberals, NDPer's and Conservatives. The Tories were the Progressive Conservative Party and they dissolved to form the Conservative Party of Canada (CPC)
"Tory" is an older term that can still apply. It wasn't invented for the PC party.
__________________
Check out "Building Brydges" at http://www.youtube.com/buildingbrydges showcasing a home renovation team in Moncton, New Brunswick
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #382  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 11:05 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 34,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
"Tory" is an older term that can still apply. It wasn't invented for the PC party.
And about 99% of people have in their minds transferred the old Tory nickname onto the CPC.
__________________
Vous n'êtes pas écoeurés de mourir, bande de caves?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #383  
Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 11:36 AM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 14,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And about 99% of people have in their minds transferred the old Tory nickname onto the CPC.
I hadn't really thought about it before, but I haven't done that. To me "Tories" died (as an organized force) in Canada when the PCs did and I now think more in terms of "Reform Conservatives".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #384  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:54 AM
Phil McAvity's Avatar
Phil McAvity Phil McAvity is online now
I put the F-U in FUN
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I hadn't really thought about it before, but I haven't done that. To me "Tories" died (as an organized force) in Canada when the PCs did and I now think more in terms of "Reform Conservatives".
Yup, you are one of the few it seems that understands the history of the party since the CPC was originally formed with at least as many Reform Party members as it was Tories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And about 99% of people have in their minds transferred the old Tory nickname onto the CPC.
You're right, I should get on board with all those that erroneously refer to the Conservatives as "Tories"

What a fool I was for thinking facts and truth matter
__________________
“Ideologies are substitutes for true knowledge, and ideologues are always dangerous when they come to power, because a simple-minded I-know-it-all approach is no match for the complexity of existence.”
― Jordan B. Peterson
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #385  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 11:19 AM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 7,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Yup, you are one of the few it seems that understands the history of the party since the CPC was originally formed with at least as many Reform Party members as it was Tories



You're right, I should get on board with all those that erroneously refer to the Conservatives as "Tories"

What a fool I was for thinking facts and the truth matter
If everyone calls them the “Tories” then how are they not the “Tories”? It’s a nickname. I don’t understand it as implying identity with everyone else in history that was ever known by the same nickname. Should the Progressive Conservatives have been called “Tories” after they added “Progressuve” to their name in the 1940s in order to attract former Progressives such as John Bracken to the party?
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #386  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:32 PM
VANRIDERFAN's Avatar
VANRIDERFAN VANRIDERFAN is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
If everyone calls them the “Tories” then how are they not the “Tories”? It’s a nickname. I don’t understand it as implying identity with everyone else in history that was ever known by the same nickname. Should the Progressive Conservatives have been called “Tories” after they added “Progressuve” to their name in the 1940s in order to attract former Progressives such as John Bracken to the party?
Though we don't use it nearly as much, the Liberals are still the "Grits" to me. Even though they have as much grit as a wet noodle these days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #387  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:42 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vieux Canada
Posts: 34,136
If we are going to be historically nitpicky, then only the Conservatives in the UK can truly be referred to as the Tories.
__________________
Vous n'êtes pas écoeurés de mourir, bande de caves?

Last edited by Acajack; Oct 10, 2018 at 1:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #388  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:23 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Yup, you are one of the few it seems that understands the history of the party since the CPC was originally formed with at least as many Reform Party members as it was Tories



You're right, I should get on board with all those that erroneously refer to the Conservatives as "Tories"

What a fool I was for thinking facts and the truth matter
The reform party went through numerous name changes before merging with the PCs. The PCs had an established nickname, the Reform/CRAP/CARP/Alliance party didn’t, so people applied the established nickname.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #389  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:31 PM
mistercorporate's Avatar
mistercorporate mistercorporate is offline
The Fruit of Discipline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,842
I miss the Natural Law Party

__________________

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #390  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:33 PM
ssiguy ssiguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 5,864
I don`t care what party the CPC is formed from, to me they will always be the Tories and I will keep using it. It`s similar to Calgary being Cowtown and Toronto Hogtown…….neither nicknames fit but people still use them all the time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #391  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 9:25 PM
Phil McAvity's Avatar
Phil McAvity Phil McAvity is online now
I put the F-U in FUN
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Though we don't use it nearly as much, the Liberals are still the "Grits" to me. Even though they have as much grit as a wet noodle these days.
Great point!
__________________
“Ideologies are substitutes for true knowledge, and ideologues are always dangerous when they come to power, because a simple-minded I-know-it-all approach is no match for the complexity of existence.”
― Jordan B. Peterson
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:28 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.