HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:25 PM

[IMG]A moment in time by Jordan Simons, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:09 PM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:34 PM

This guy just posted more Taken from the top of YC Condos.

[IMG]Sea of fog: part 5 by Jordan Simons, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Sea of fog: part 2 by Jordan Simons, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Sea of fog: part 6 by Jordan Simons, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Sea of fog: part 4 by Jordan Simons, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:56 PM

Incredible!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:47 PM
Montérégien

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:52 PM
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Wow!
Wow, as in "Wow! Calgary actually has trees!?"

I've never seen this much foliage in a photo of Calgary before, I'm honestly floored, well job to the photographer

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:08 PM

Calgary has lots of trees! the weather keeps trying to kill them lately though.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:41 PM
More transit please

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 10:08 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post

I've never seen this much foliage in a photo of Calgary before, I'm honestly floored, well job to the photographer
I mean, you must not have seen many pictures of Calgary then? Our downtown has a significant amount of forested green space. As does most of the city. Just the one park, Nose Hill (12 km2), has been left as indigenous grassland.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:35 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

From Riverdale Park:

by Rascacielo on UT.

Tosin007: "I know I need to get laid"
WhipperSnapper: "My seriousness is simply a veil hiding a true comedic genius."
OutOfTowner: "I live in Villeray - a block from Marché Jean Talon. And my choice of hairstyle is none of your business."

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:08 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcaliburKid View Post

Snark aside, there might be a reason for that perception. This pic is taken from the west side which is the start of the foothills. Driving in from Edmonton on the east side it’s the prairies. You don’t get natural tree cover until you reach the river valley downtown. There are some trees in the burbs but Nose Hill and the area surrounding the airport are pure prairie though.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:18 AM
Edan

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Snark aside, there might be a reason for that perception. This pic is taken from the west side which is the start of the foothills. Driving in from Edmonton on the east side it’s the prairies. You don’t get natural tree cover until you reach the river valley downtown. There are some trees in the burbs but Nose Hill and the area surrounding the airport are pure prairie though.
If you're interested, here is the link to the Urban Forest Management. They have listed all city trees. We apparently have a canopy that consists of over 7 million trees - valued at 1.3Billion.

https://maps.calgary.ca/TreeSchedule/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:21 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngregina View Post
If you're interested, here is the link to the Urban Forest Management. They have listed all city trees. We apparently have a canopy that consists of over 7 million trees - valued at 1.3Billion.

https://maps.calgary.ca/TreeSchedule/
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Interesting. I would be curious as to the actual tree canopy comparison between the cities. There are a few sources online but I'm not sure they are all measuring the same things. Calgary definitely feels less treed than Edmonton but I don't know how much of that is perception. I would guess Edmonton has more trees along Arterial Roadways and Freeways compared to Calgary which makes a big difference in what you perceive as a visitor Eg. Deerfoot vs Whitemud. Those treed neighborhood streets aren't something most visitors see as mch. Also the most pronounced "natural" areas (Nose Hose Hill Park vs. N. Sask River Valley) are quite contrasting.

Calgary can be a tough climate for trees, but its also pretty lush compared to anything else in that area, especially anything in the southeast chunk of the province.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:37 PM

I have always found it odd that there aren't more trees along Deerfoot...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 8:12 PM
Derp

Truthfully, I have almost always arrived from Edmonton on Deerfoot, an area pretty much devoid of trees
The odd time heading west on Hwy 1 via Stoney Trail, the trees become more apparent, so I do see how the transition from prairie to foothills makes a big difference
Have spent next to no time in downtown Calgary, so the more mature neighborhoods with better tree coverage usually escape my vision
None the less, a very flattering image of Calgary

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
Interesting. I would be curious as to the actual tree canopy comparison between the cities. There are a few sources online but I'm not sure they are all measuring the same things. Calgary definitely feels less treed than Edmonton but I don't know how much of that is perception. I would guess Edmonton has more trees along Arterial Roadways and Freeways compared to Calgary which makes a big difference in what you perceive as a visitor Eg. Deerfoot vs Whitemud. Those treed neighborhood streets aren't something most visitors see as mch. Also the most pronounced "natural" areas (Nose Hose Hill Park vs. N. Sask River Valley) are quite contrasting.

Calgary can be a tough climate for trees, but its also pretty lush compared to anything else in that area, especially anything in the southeast chunk of the province.
You might be right. The Calgary Urban Forest Management link mentions they have ~7,000,000 trees. A similar PDF from Edmonton (albeit from 2012) lists ~12,800,000 trees. (see here - Page 13: https://www.edmonton.ca/residential_...ement_Plan.pdf)

Last edited by oiler-dude; Oct 12, 2018 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 1:34 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I have always found it odd that there aren't more trees along Deerfoot...
Because the planted ones keep dying. The BP forests near the south side of the Calf Rope Bridge and near the Anderson interchange are the only exceptions. It would take considerable resources to prepare planting sites and provide water for the first few years.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 4:00 PM
Moran supreme

Having lived on Alberta's southern prairies for all of my life, about the only place trees naturally exist are in the river valleys and those ar generally cottonwoods. Anything else you'll see aside from the river bottom lands has been pretty much the result of humans either planting trees or making an area more hospitable for trees to survive. Even at that, there are smaller rivers and creeks on the prairies that do not have trees lining them - the Little Bow River would be a very good example of this. Take a drive along highway 61 in southeast Alberta and the only trees you'll see are either in farmyards or towns/hamlets -about the tallest natural greenery you'll see down Manyberries way is sagebrush with occasional stands of saskatoons and chokecherries on north facing slopes.

Our mid-50's community in north central Calgary was completely devoid of trees before it was developed from raw prairie and yet now there is a great forest canopy in our community with every lot averaging 3-5 trees.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada