HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 11:32 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 970
Core drilling truck parked at McKalla — saw it on my drive home. Not sure if it’s there for the stadium or the Capella development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 10:28 PM
hookem hookem is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,433
Latest regarding the group connected to Epstein still trying to kill the MLS in Austin deal:

https://www.austinmonitor.com/storie...recourt-adler/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:09 AM
clubtokyo's Avatar
clubtokyo clubtokyo is offline
クラブトクヨ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 729
Holy cow, these folks really hate the MLS that bad?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:35 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Far from the maddening crowd
Posts: 2,839
https://www.austinmonitor.com/wp-con...-1-620x365.jpg
Behold, the faces of self rightous arrogant ignorance. The Leslie Pool Deciples, and wanna be keepers of what is right for Austin.

Last edited by the Genral; Oct 12, 2018 at 4:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:29 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,472
They're putting a lot of money forward to oppose a team. I wonder how many other worthwhile things they're ignoring in order to fight this benefit to the city? Whereas the money the city is "spending" to allow the team to operate at McKalla (their largest argument in opposition) will actually bring forth greater business opportunities (beyond MLS) for locals, entertainment, and investment in and implementation of greater youth programs throughout the metro area. No big deal...
__________________
人无完人
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 8:49 PM
Mikey711MN's Avatar
Mikey711MN Mikey711MN is offline
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Moved south to Austin, TX
Posts: 588
MLS Expansion Team Instead?

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...fter-sale.html

Quote:
After a year of wrangling, it looks like Columbus, Ohio will get to keep its soccer team. But Austin is also in line to land its first major-league sports franchise, according to sources.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 8:55 PM
ILUVSAT's Avatar
ILUVSAT ILUVSAT is offline
May the Schwartz be w/ U!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: S.A. | Nashville
Posts: 642
If true...that really blows.

Well, I guess the Lord doth giveth and the Lord doth taketh away.

A team is a team - but, geez. Austin was going to get a playoff contender. And, now...IF Austin gets a team, it's a crappy expansion team.


What in the hell happened???

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Oct 12, 2018 at 9:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:33 PM
Novacek Novacek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
If true...that really blows.

Well, I guess the Lord doth giveth and the Lord doth taketh away.

A team is a team - but, geez. Austin was going to get a playoff contender. And, now...IF Austin gets a team, it's a crappy expansion team.


What in the hell happened???
What happened is still nothing at this point.

The announcement today was : MLS and Columbus, which have been in negotiations for months, are _still_ in negotiations.

Sure, keeping the existing players is still their "goal", but that's still not definite yet, according to today's news.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:48 PM
GoldenBoot's Avatar
GoldenBoot GoldenBoot is offline
Member since 2001
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Terra Firma
Posts: 2,288
IF the rumors are true, Jimmy Haslam would be buying the operational rights of the Crew from PSV. Thus, the team and it's players stay put.

Austin "may" get an expansion team operated by PSV. They would have to draft players and/or buy a sub-level soccer team and move it to Austin (and sprinkle in a few, more talented players to round out the roster).

Nashville and Cincinnati (as examples) are "bringing up" current teams from the USL.

In this scenario, Austin will loose the chance of getting a playoff contender immediately. Which stinks.



**Oh, isn't the Crew's coach one of the lead candidates to take the USMNT job?!?
__________________
Austin (City): 950,715 +20.28% - '10-'17 | Austin MSA (5 counties): 2,115,827 +23.28% - '10-'17
San Antonio (City): 1,511,946 +13.90% - '10-'17 | San Antonio MSA (8 counties): 2,473,974 +15.47% - '10-'17
AUS-SAT "CSA" (13 counties): 4,589,801 +18.94% - '10-'17 | *SRC: US Census*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 10:20 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
more brains
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: down the street from the taco trailer
Posts: 46,718
I gotta say, I'm good with this news. One of the things that really bugs me about professional sports is how fickle it is. Having a team hinges on bowing to their wants and their support hangs on their success (not losing). It's kind of a ridiculous concept since not every team can win, obviously. I also hate the idea of being a pawn in some corporate maneuver. The bottom line is, Austin hasn't lost anything since it never had it to begin with, and now things are going to be awkward in Columbus as the team begs for forgiveness for threatening to leave.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...team/603892113

https://www.statesman.com/sports/201...team-to-austin
__________________
Blue Leader, this is Troll Fighter
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 11:11 PM
hookem hookem is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,433
When I mentioned this exact scenario a while ago, no one believed that MLS and Precourt were going to make Austin happen with an expansion team if the Crew couldn't move.

Well, here it is from the MLS via SI.com:

Quote:
Meanwhile, MLS said it remains committed to Precourt’s plan to launch Austin FC as an MLS team in Texas.

"Major League Soccer is excited to move forward in Austin with Precourt Sports Ventures and their vision for Austin FC. Regardless of any scenario in Columbus, there is a clear path forward for PSV to operate Austin FC as a Major League Soccer club," the league said in a statement.
https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/10/12...urt-haslam-mls
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 4:27 AM
Syndic's Avatar
Syndic Syndic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,277
In a way, this is better. We can have a bitter rivalry with Columbu, fans around MLS will resent us less, and it could mean no awkward, lame in-between period where the team is playing at the Dell Diamond (which isn't even Austin).

From the sound of it, Austin getting its team, in this scenario, would NOT be a maybe, according to what the league is saying. I'm guessing PSV would never sign over ownership of their team without that guarantee.
__________________
Anti-Leslie Pool. Death to I-35!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 8:50 AM
N90 N90 is offline
Voice of the Modern World
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
fans around MLS will resent us less
They don't have a reason to resent us at all. It's not like we're stealing anyones MLS team anymore. We're getting an expansion team which is great.

The only people that should hate us are the cities that applied for an MLS expansion team and still on the waiting list because we just skipped over them and we didn't even apply. There were only 2 slots open after expansion teams 25 and 26 were awarded to Nashville and Cincy. We just took expansion team 27.

So there's 1 more left for Detroit, Phoenix, San Diego, Sacramento, Indy, Raleigh, Charlotte, Tampa, San Antonio, OKC, NOLA, Pittsburgh, etc to fight over....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 9:51 AM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,094
Yeah,

This feels much much less likely to happen now. PSV is not that deep pocketed and now he has to build a stadium and an entire operational infrastructure from the ground up.

This also means soccer won't start here for another ~3 years. Plenty of time for NIMBYs to throw stuff on the ballot and destroy this.

I'm still optimistic but the longer these things drag on the more issues can jump in. Also, bringing in a new bad team is going to make building support harder.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 1:54 PM
loonytoony loonytoony is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Yeah,

This feels much much less likely to happen now. PSV is not that deep pocketed and now he has to build a stadium and an entire operational infrastructure from the ground up.

This also means soccer won't start here for another ~3 years. Plenty of time for NIMBYs to throw stuff on the ballot and destroy this.

I'm still optimistic but the longer these things drag on the more issues can jump in. Also, bringing in a new bad team is going to make building support harder.
I don't know, I think this is almost best possible route for Austin. We can write our own history from the ground up, vs having 20 years of Crew history hanging over us. Plus, no matter what anyone says, we didn't really have an acceptable venue to play at while Mckalla is built.

New bucket list item - an away game in Columbus, proudly wearing Austin colors
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 3:53 PM
atxsnail atxsnail is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
If true...that really blows.

Well, I guess the Lord doth giveth and the Lord doth taketh away.

A team is a team - but, geez. Austin was going to get a playoff contender. And, now...IF Austin gets a team, it's a crappy expansion team.


What in the hell happened???
The team has done pretty well in the past several years, but as a close follower of MLS, I wouldn't be too worried about what we might be losing out on if we have to start from scratch.

The coach, Gregg Berhalter, is very highly regarded as someone who has created an attacking system that is both effective and entertaining. He's so highly rated, that he's considered to be the leading candidate to take over the US Men's National Team after this season.

Keeper - Zach Steffen is currently considered to be the most likely future goalkeeper of the national team for the next decade. He's not going to stick around MLS too much longer and he'll likely head back to Europe.

Best Playmaker - Federico Higuain is a decorated Argentine playmaker and he's been the focus of the Crew system for 6 years. He's great, but he's old and would be retired by the time we open our stadium.

The Crew have a few other national team prospects and pretty good players, but they're not world beaters or household names really. One of them, Will Trapp, is an Ohio native so he might even have wanted out of Austin anyway.

Basically, we probably would have seen a lot of roster and coaching staff turnover if the existing Crew moved here.

On the other hand, many of the recent expansion clubs have turned out to be really good right away. Atlanta United is maybe the most exciting team in the league and they were good right away. Same goes for LAFC this year and Seattle a few years back. Hopefully the same will happen here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 4:21 PM
GoldenBoot's Avatar
GoldenBoot GoldenBoot is offline
Member since 2001
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Terra Firma
Posts: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
The team has done pretty well in the past several years, but as a close follower of MLS, I wouldn't be too worried about what we might be losing out on if we have to start from scratch.

The coach, Gregg Berhalter, is very highly regarded as someone who has created an attacking system that is both effective and entertaining. He's so highly rated, that he's considered to be the leading candidate to take over the US Men's National Team after this season.

Keeper - Zach Steffen is currently considered to be the most likely future goalkeeper of the national team for the next decade. He's not going to stick around MLS too much longer and he'll likely head back to Europe.

Best Playmaker - Federico Higuain is a decorated Argentine playmaker and he's been the focus of the Crew system for 6 years. He's great, but he's old and would be retired by the time we open our stadium.

The Crew have a few other national team prospects and pretty good players, but they're not world beaters or household names really. One of them, Will Trapp, is an Ohio native so he might even have wanted out of Austin anyway.

Basically, we probably would have seen a lot of roster and coaching staff turnover if the existing Crew moved here.

On the other hand, many of the recent expansion clubs have turned out to be really good right away. Atlanta United is maybe the most exciting team in the league and they were good right away. Same goes for LAFC this year and Seattle a few years back. Hopefully the same will happen here.

I would agree with your comments - for the most part. However, where I am worried is the fact that PSV does not have very deep pockets. I'm not sure what he'll be able to do with regard to affording (or even knowing how to put together) a decent roster. The aforementioned teams are led by operator groups with very deep pockets and a zeal for winning "now."
__________________
Austin (City): 950,715 +20.28% - '10-'17 | Austin MSA (5 counties): 2,115,827 +23.28% - '10-'17
San Antonio (City): 1,511,946 +13.90% - '10-'17 | San Antonio MSA (8 counties): 2,473,974 +15.47% - '10-'17
AUS-SAT "CSA" (13 counties): 4,589,801 +18.94% - '10-'17 | *SRC: US Census*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 4:24 PM
GoldenBoot's Avatar
GoldenBoot GoldenBoot is offline
Member since 2001
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Terra Firma
Posts: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
When I mentioned this exact scenario a while ago, no one believed that MLS and Precourt were going to make Austin happen with an expansion team if the Crew couldn't move.
Hookem, I'll be the first to apologize. You were right. I would hope there is something very sweet in the deal for PSV - because he's sold the rights to a good team. And, it seems he's getting no cash in the "sale." He's keeping hit operating rights to a team and the Haslam group is paying an expansion franchise fee for the rights to the Crew.

And, when you really think about it - this was the only plausible outcome. The MLS was not going to incur the PR firestorm (or financial hit) it would take should they have chosen to challenge the legality/constitutionality of the ridiculous Ohio statute.
__________________
Austin (City): 950,715 +20.28% - '10-'17 | Austin MSA (5 counties): 2,115,827 +23.28% - '10-'17
San Antonio (City): 1,511,946 +13.90% - '10-'17 | San Antonio MSA (8 counties): 2,473,974 +15.47% - '10-'17
AUS-SAT "CSA" (13 counties): 4,589,801 +18.94% - '10-'17 | *SRC: US Census*
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 6:59 PM
Novacek Novacek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
And, it seems he's getting no cash in the "sale." He's keeping hit operating rights to a team and the Haslam group is paying an expansion franchise fee for the rights to the Crew.
.
I think that's completely unknown at this point. Right now PSV has the operating rights to the Columbus market and the rights to the Crew IP. Will he give those up for free, just to make the suit go away? Maybe.

Since there isn't yet a finalized deal in Columbus, that may not even be worked out yet.

Now I'm wondering if Columbus starts to be in a time crunch (to finalize it before the schedule is set for 2019).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 12:03 AM
hookem hookem is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Hookem, I'll be the first to apologize. You were right. I would hope there is something very sweet in the deal for PSV - because he's sold the rights to a good team. And, it seems he's getting no cash in the "sale." He's keeping hit operating rights to a team and the Haslam group is paying an expansion franchise fee for the rights to the Crew.
Wasn't expecting that, and it's totally unnecessary, but thanks.

I agree it must have been a sweet deal for PSV -- there was nothing in the Art Modell law that said the sale would have to be at a discount. I'm sure whatever consideration (monetary or otherwise) that PSV will get in the deal is probably worth full market value of the team or better. That might even be why he was able to make so many concessions to the City of Austin, he knew he had a lucrative deal either way on the other side.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:17 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.