HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
Is it really BRT if your peak service headway is 12 minutes?
South of 15, so being generous yes. Really is a victim of bad timing - it is being implemented in the last 4 months of a 4 year budget cycle, and may even be in service earlier than initially planned. I will be very disappointed if the services aren't upped to 10 in peak, 15 all day minimum following the start of the new cycle.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 8:43 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
R stands for rapid, not frequent. So, it may not come that often, but it gets you there quick....
I suppose that is a nice diplomatic way at looking at it. I'm just happy Calgary has finally developed a BRT network with stations and infrastructure. Now that this part is (nearly) complete, the scheduling can be updated as required. I suspect the SE Transitway and the North and South Crosstown lines are going to be quite a bit more popular than imagined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
South of 15, so being generous yes. Really is a victim of bad timing - it is being implemented in the last 4 months of a 4 year budget cycle, and may even be in service earlier than initially planned. I will be very disappointed if the services aren't upped to 10 in peak, 15 all day minimum following the start of the new cycle.
That is a good point. I didn't realize something like that would/could be a key limiting factor in something like this, but I suppose it makes perfect sense.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:08 AM

Confederation Line Update.

Bayview

Lyon

Lees

St-Laurent

https://www.ligneconfederationline.c...on-update-195/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Confederation Line Update.

Bayview

Lyon

Lees

St-Laurent

https://www.ligneconfederationline.c...on-update-195/
Lyon looks great!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 11:24 AM
Living between provinces

I really like Ottawa's new wayfinding. (except one thing, East-West directions instead of terminal stations)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:43 PM

East-West makes sense, although in the future once the trains start branching in the west it won't be sufficient.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:49 PM

Because it will branch out in the west, they might have figured direction vs. terminus would be simpler and less confusing for the static signs. The electronic boards at concourse and platform levels will probably display the terminus station of the next train.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:16 PM
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Because it will branch out in the west, they might have figured direction vs. terminus would be simpler and less confusing for the static signs. The electronic boards at concourse and platform levels will probably display the terminus station of the next train.
Was gonna ask what we expect those concourse level signs to display . . .

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:17 PM
Electrical Engineer

Pretty cool to see the UPX going by (clocked at about 120 kph) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9aczat-qGc

I would really like to see some more DMU's in the meanwhile while we are waiting for electrification. . .

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 7:26 PM
ARTchitecture

Calgary's updated primary transit network map, including three of the four new BRT lines as part of the city's $304 million MAX Bus Rapid Transit system. For reference, as the map doesn't include the Green Line yet, the MAX South Crosstown will connect to the Green Line at Quarry Park and Douglas Glen, thereby connecting all three rapid transit lines in the southern half of the city, similar to the MAX North Crosstown which will connect all three in the north half. As well, the MAX Purple Line has been built for conversion to LRT in the (not-so-distant) future, likely with connections to the suburban City of Chestermere which will surely be annexed by that time. The fourth line, the MAX southwest line, is not on the map as it won't be opening with the other three lines on November 19, 2018.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 3:55 PM

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 3:57 PM
sick transit, gloria

When is the Ottawa LRT projected to be opening now? I tried to do some online searching but it was hard to find any hard info. I'll be there over Christmas and staying within walking distance of St. Laurent so it would be really nice to be able to use the train as opposed to the bus!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 4:05 PM

Earlier this year, they set November 2nd as the "handover date" (when the P3 consortium turns over the system to the city to operate), and they said it would take a couple weeks of testing and training to operate the system after that, so they said "late November".

The handover date has been postponed but we don't have a date yet. They are saying sometime in Q1 2019, so after Christmas. Sorry.

OC Transpo sets its route schedules (and assigns its unionized drivers its shifts) 4 times a year; in late December, late April, late June, and early September (the latter 3 dates matching the end of university year, the end of the public school year, and the beginning of both years). It would be logistically easiest for OC Transpo to launch the LRT at one of those timers, so late April is IMO the most likely date for "full service"--if it opens in early April or March or February, they probably won't fully realign bus service to match the LRT service patterns until the end of April (they've already discussed waiting a little bit after LRT opens before doing that anyway).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada