HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In fairness to Doug, he also can't personally vet everyone who randomly walks up to him to take a selfie.

True, but this does show what sort of people are Doug supporters out there. Wasn't she at his house for his Trump like Fordfest not to long ago?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:46 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
True, but this does show what sort of people are Doug supporters out there. Wasn't she at his house for his Trump like Fordfest not to long ago?
I don't doubt for a minute that populist politicians like Ford tend to draw that ugly fringe, even if they're not the majority of his supporters.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 4:07 PM
Fake News

Quote:
If you really had never heard of her and her "work" before, you probably jumped the gun a bit in calling her a racist.

Yes, the passage about people in mosques preaching that Jews and Christians should be killed was not PC, but it's definitely a fact that certain imams have been caught doing just that here in Canada.

She attacked her political opponent John Tory by saying he frequented such places and people, and I have no idea if that's true or not. Though we have in the fairly recent past seen a number of politicians rub shoulders with some pretty shady extremely religious (or otherwise*) characters in order to try and get votes from certain communities. (*Didn't Doug Ford pose for a picture with Faith Goldy, in fact?)

It's also a legitimate question as to whether or not it's appropriate for homeless shelters to be overloaded with illegal migrants (due to "open border" messaging from some high ranking government officials) to the point where local people are turned away and have to live in tents.

I admit to having no idea if any of this is true, though I don't believe she has gotten any traction on this stuff from the mainstream media. Which is largely ignoring her it seems.

Kinda related, but Radio-Canada has an interesting feature that they activate during election campaigns (and also at other times I believe) which is called "L'Épreuve des Faits". Loosely translated it would be the "Fact Check".

A reporter and a team of researchers will take a specific issue or claim, usually made by a political figure, movement or party, and essentially pick every angle of it apart in order to determine if it's true or bogus.
I didn't immediately recognize her as the video was dim and I watched it in my car while multitasking. What was perfectly clear to me even then was that she was using the same old dog whistles that Dump and other populist white supremacists have used ad nauseam to inflame white resentment of brown skinned immigrants. You and Lio playing devil's advocate for someone who is so clearly a racist scumbag seems trivial and pointless. What are you trying to prove? Is it part of a crusade against "PC culture"? Why defend the indefensible? She is very obviously racist and I didn't need to know who she was to deduce that. Your argument before was that she only appeared racist because of her reputation. Once I pointed out that I didn't know who she was then you insisted I couldn't know she was racist unless I knew her background. HER WORDS MAKE HER RACIST. Her implications about immigrants and refugees are the same as every racist demagogue that has ever existed. She calls them a threat (violent Muslims), a drain on the system and falsely claims the mayor of Toronto is admitting "hordes" of them. All xenophobic dog whistles.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Last edited by O-tacular; Oct 11, 2018 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 4:55 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I didn't immediately recognize her as the video was dim and I watched it in my car while multitasking. What was perfectly clear to me even then was that she was using the same old dog whistles that Dump and other populist white supremacists have used ad nauseam to inflame white resentment of brown skinned immigrants. You and Lio playing devil's advocate for someone who is so clearly a racist scumbag seems trivial and pointless. What are you trying to prove? Is it part of a crusade against "PC culture"? Why defend the indefensible? She is very obviously racist and I didn't need to know who she was to deduce that. Your argument before was that she only appeared racist because of her reputation. Once I pointed out that I didn't know who she was then you insisted I couldn't know she was racist unless I knew her background. HER WORDS MAKE HER RACIST. Her implications about immigrants and refugees are the same as every racist demagogue that has ever existed. She calls them a threat (violent Muslims), a drain on the system and falsely claims the mayor of Toronto is admitting "hordes" of them. All xenophobic dog whistles.
I am not defending anyone. Certainly not Faith Goldy.

But it's kind of odd to have people who seem to be constantly searching out this stuff, almost obsessively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YyYW4EuYOw

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 6:29 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Perhaps it's not that you have to search it out obsessively. It comes to you.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 6:50 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Perhaps it's not that you have to search it out obsessively. It comes to you.
I am as plugged into news and current affairs as anyone and I don't really see that much - except on here, which often seems to be the result of people digging for it.

Certainly the progressive left discourse (including some of the more extreme SJW rhetoric) gets a lot more play out there in the public sphere than anything that's right wing.

Even those of us who lean more to that persuasion can admit that.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:28 PM

What do you all think of 222 Jarvis? I find it ugly after they added that slab of glass to it's front but I appreciate aspects of it's design and massive scale. Formerly the Sear Canada Building

source: https://upload.wikimedia.org

source: https://upload.wikimedia.org

And the 100 million dollar renovation.

source: sixty7architectureroad.ca

source: http://www.urbacon.net

source: https://www.wzmh.com

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:31 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I love the building....but don't care the glass slab. It's not ugly, it just looks strange.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:31 PM
Pro Trivia Player

A friend of mine just posted a link to something on the "Spotted: Laval" group on Facebook, and the home page picture for this group features the Clocktower!

Just thought you guys might want to know.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:24 PM

Very Boston City Hall-ish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_City_Hall

It's definitely unique. Good to add some glass to some of the brutalist landmarks (see NAC in Ottawa).

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 10:57 PM
Fake News

Quote:
A friend of mine just posted a link to something on the "Spotted: Laval" group on Facebook, and the home page picture for this group features the Clocktower!

Not just an image of the Clocktower... drone footage!!!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:29 AM

Quote:
I know nothing of her past history. Listening to this video she uses every dog whistle in the book. Clearly she is racist and xenophobic. The fact that some forumers are defending her is disturbing.
Says the guy who just called her a cunt.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:24 AM

Quote:

Saw it back in January. Gotta love how the clock is up so high that you need excellent vision to try reading that clock. I think that they should replace the clock with a super bright yellow LED sun to go with the brand name. Why not...

Last edited by Loco101; Oct 12, 2018 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:26 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Yeah cause she is. Labelling all immigrants and refugees as subhuman and promoting a white supremacist ideology objectively makes you an awful person. A cunt if you will.

Last edited by O-tacular; Oct 12, 2018 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
background. HER WORDS MAKE HER RACIST. Her implications about immigrants and refugees are the same as every racist demagogue that has ever existed. She calls them a threat (violent Muslims), a drain on the system and falsely claims the mayor of Toronto is admitting "hordes" of them. All xenophobic dog whistles.
Im not really familiar with this Faith individual but I somewhat disagree with what you are saying. After all, the first Muslim immigrants/community in Toronto were white Albanians. While I may not personally agree with uninformed bumper sticker broadbrush critcism of Islam it would be inaccurate for me to classify it as racist.

Peaceful Sufis and non denominational muslims are often vocal opponents of hardline Sunnis who treat violent hadiths as the word of G-d/Allah/The Creator. Is criticizing the Hadiths or Sunnahs islamophobic or 'racist' if millions of muslims and entire sects claim that these secondary books are forgeries?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
You and Lio playing devil's advocate for someone who is so clearly a racist scumbag seems trivial and pointless. What are you trying to prove?
You post something saying it shows racism. I watch it - it's a random person I have never heard of in my life previously - and don't see any racism in there unless you stretch the definition to the point it ceases to make sense and we're all racist. So I point that out. That's it... there isn't anyone playing devil's advocate here.

(BTW, to me she totally looks like a Turkish or Cypriot ethnically - not the type of person I would assume to want to put all non-Aryans in crematory ovens. I wasn't surprised to hear she's of Greek ancestry.)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah cause she is. Labelling all immigrants and refugees as subhuman and promoting a white supremacist ideology objectively makes you an awful person. A cunt if you will.
She "labelled all immigrants as subhuman" ? Maybe I didn't watch the video carefully enough. What minute:second was that? I'm willing to rewatch and reconsider.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
She calls them a threat (violent Muslims), a drain on the system...
Thought Experiment: let's posit that there is an identifiable, describable group of people somewhere that _is_ a drain on the system.

Given this factual, demonstrated situation in the thought experiment, is the one and only acceptable behavior according to you to completely ignore the phenomenon, making it strictly taboo to even consider discussing it or referring to it?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 11:47 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Thought Experiment: let's posit that there is an identifiable, describable group of people somewhere that _is_ a drain on the system.

Given this factual, demonstrated situation in the thought experiment, is the one and only acceptable behavior according to you to completely ignore the phenomenon, making it strictly taboo to even consider discussing it or referring to it?
Isn't that precisely what we do these days?

It's the Martin Luther King philosophy: just because XX% of people in a particular group are thugs, doesn't mean that a single individual from that group should be assumed to be a thug.

Actually a pretty good principle most of the time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada