HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

    

Vista Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum
            
View Full Map

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4561  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 1:50 PM
kolchak kolchak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 409
Today

Great views from the (now) updated webcams! Thanks again for reminding me about that link Hawkeyes10

https://public.earthcam.net/vistatow...%201/timelapse
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4562  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:54 PM
alegalvvan94 alegalvvan94 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6

Last edited by alegalvvan94; Oct 11, 2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Image was not showing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4563  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:22 AM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: The Miami of Canada
Posts: 19,389
* off topic posts deleted *

This is the vista tower thread.

Not the "chicago is the most bestest skyline ever!!!" thread.

Please keep discussions on-topic.
__________________
He has to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4564  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:35 AM
BonoboZill4's Avatar
BonoboZill4 BonoboZill4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PingPong
Posts: 376
The taller it gets the more I fawn over it... They are getting that glass up just in time too because winter is coming fast
__________________
I'm here for a long time, not a good time
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4565  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:17 AM
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is online now
>~< , QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 342
Will the Vista tower entrance really have Chinese lettering? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but kind of surprising!
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4566  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 5:05 AM
ahealy's Avatar
ahealy ahealy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin | Puglia, Italia
Posts: 1,450
Goddamn this is looking sexy. Hail Chicago!


.......but get the glass up already
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4567  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:24 PM
710cl 710cl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Will the Vista tower entrance really have Chinese lettering? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but kind of surprising!
Signage isn't typically hammered down at the rendering stage. Most likely what you see is a placeholder until they figure out what they want to do there. It also depends on who is going to be operating or owning the hotel by the time this project is done.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4568  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:39 PM
Skyguy_7's Avatar
Skyguy_7 Skyguy_7 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,826
^ It'd be a lot cooler if they did.. Would give the tower and the area more of an international feel. After all, we're an international city!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4569  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:09 PM
kolchak kolchak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Will the Vista tower entrance really have Chinese lettering? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but kind of surprising!
That Chinese signage was Wanda. Now that they have sold the development it'll go away.

But it raises the question of when will we see a hotel brand sign on to this project. I imagine in the not too distant future. Hopefully they will keep the style of the sign similar - it looks cool.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4570  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:39 PM
KWillChicago's Avatar
KWillChicago KWillChicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ It'd be a lot cooler if they did.. Would give the tower and the area more of an international feel. After all, we're an international city!
Completly agree. Which is good advertisement for over seas investors to bring some more supertalls into fruition in the next ten years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4571  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:11 PM
Suiram Suiram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
That Chinese signage was Wanda. Now that they have sold the development it'll go away.

But it raises the question of when will we see a hotel brand sign on to this project. I imagine in the not too distant future. Hopefully they will keep the style of the sign similar - it looks cool.
They have mocked up the hotel in the sales suite and were already framing the hotel. Certainly the new owner could throw out all that interior design, but have to assume a new brand will mostly inherit the hotel interior, at least framing (so size of keys, etc).

That may be a limiting factor. The hotel mock up is a very Chinese-aesthetic and pretty high end. Reminds me of Asian hotels in general.

It could be popular, just requires the right brand. And I am not sure how comfortable brands like Mandarin Oriental are inheriting a design. I think about how JW Marriott took over the Philippe Starck hotel at South Beach in Singapore. A wholly unimpressive and overly complicated hotel design that clearly doesnt follow any of JW Marriott's typical design standards.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4572  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:47 PM
kolchak kolchak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiram View Post
They have mocked up the hotel in the sales suite and were already framing the hotel. Certainly the new owner could throw out all that interior design, but have to assume a new brand will mostly inherit the hotel interior, at least framing (so size of keys, etc).

That may be a limiting factor. The hotel mock up is a very Chinese-aesthetic and pretty high end. Reminds me of Asian hotels in general.

It could be popular, just requires the right brand. And I am not sure how comfortable brands like Mandarin Oriental are inheriting a design. I think about how JW Marriott took over the Philippe Starck hotel at South Beach in Singapore. A wholly unimpressive and overly complicated hotel design that clearly doesnt follow any of JW Marriott's typical design standards.
The whole situation reminds me of the mess at the La Cienega/Sunset Blvd development in West Hollywood. There they put a temporary hotel - The Jeremy - in after The James pulled out when CIM sold the building. Then the hotel/condo part had to be scrapped because the city made short term rentals a thing of the past. I don't know where it stands now but I do know that one of the contributing factors to the hotel brand's uncertainty is that the replacement high end brand 'The 1' wanted to gut the hotel and re-outfit the interiors. This obviously hasn't happened and they were left with the 'temporary' Jeremy.

I sure hope we can avoid a similar situation for Vista - its much too high profile a tower and location to be wishy-washy on the hotel component.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4573  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 5:19 PM
Zerton's Avatar
Zerton Zerton is offline
Ω
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Will the Vista tower entrance really have Chinese lettering? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but kind of surprising!
I believe that was just done on the renderings for marketing units and the hotel in China. The entry has been changed a bit and I would be surprised if the actual sign is in Chinese. Also, because of a crackdown in China the original Chinese developer was forced to sell its stake in the tower. (I don't recall if they sold all of their share or just the majority).

Plus, part of the allure for Chinese investing abroad in units in the US, Canada, UK, etc is the "Western-ness".
__________________
If all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed, if all records told the same tale, then the lie passed into history and became truth. -Orwell
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4574  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 6:48 PM
vexxed82's Avatar
vexxed82 vexxed82 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 311
From 10/6

Slacked on editing these, but finally have some to share from a foggy cruise last Saturday. Glad the clouds broke enough for some moody shots.










__________________
Nick Ulivieri | instagram | twitter | Facebook
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4575  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:08 PM
bgsrand bgsrand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 82
^Damn...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4576  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:33 PM
Suburban Shadow's Avatar
Suburban Shadow Suburban Shadow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Da 'Burbs - Chicago
Posts: 42
The speed of the glass being installed is underwhelming to me.

The wait has been horrible

Looks real close to 1000'. Is it official?

Top of the center section floor 71 is supposed to be 857.

22 floors/294ft to 93.

Is the core officially poured 10 floors over middle section yet?
__________________
Girder & Panel Construction Set - Circa 1975
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4577  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 8:11 PM
rgarri4's Avatar
rgarri4 rgarri4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Shadow View Post
The speed of the glass being installed is underwhelming to me.

The wait has been horrible
For real. This pace would be like one floor every 2 weeks. Hopefully it picks up. I'm just excited it's started.
__________________
Renderings, Animations, VR
https://vizfire.net/
My 3d model of Chicago:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4578  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:04 PM
cozy cozy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 31
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Shadow View Post
The speed of the glass being installed is underwhelming to me.
Yeah I was/am genuinely disappointed in McHugh for being so slow with the glass. I thought they were behind schedule and we were about to witness a beautiful transformation of a historic building. Now its just a few panels here and there this week, maybe a few more over there another week.
__________________
Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4579  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:11 PM
sox102 sox102 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
Yeah I was/am genuinely disappointed in McHugh for being so slow with the glass. I thought they were behind schedule and we were about to witness a beautiful transformation of a historic building. Now its just a few panels here and there this week, maybe a few more over there another week.
Don't blame McHugh. The blame would be on the Harmon/EFCO team. I know the beginnings of these types of projects start slow and as the field guys get a handle on the system, they usually pick up speed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4580  
Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 6:01 AM
seoulstice_sji seoulstice_sji is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 5
Obsessed with glass? I think the building looks better without it imo. The color choice doesn't fit this building. I would like to see it top out first. The completion date is 2020. What's the rush.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:47 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.