HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Why all the hate for Freeland? Is it because she's a Liberal or is she being singled out because she's female? She seems quite competent and engaged in her file, which is a difficult one. She should get a little respect. Instead, the right wing trolls are out to get her.
Perhaps he's nostalgic for heavyweight foreign ministers like Maxime Bernier and John Baird...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:59 AM
Made in Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Perhaps he's nostalgic for heavyweight foreign ministers like Maxime Bernier and John Baird...

Or anyone who actually has some stroke and make sense with basic information and Canadian policy. It's not too much to ask. This is not a long ball.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:14 AM

Obsessed

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:21 AM
Identity Condiment

In a contest between Andrew Scheer and Christia Freeland, there is absolutely no question: Andrew Scheer, by far, has the most punchable face. It's not even close. He looks like a bully who just stole our milk money. He looks like a literal caricature of a sneaky, conniving crook who eventually gets what's coming to him. He gets angry with a smile on his face. Sure, Justin Trudeau looks like smug is being smug, but Andrew Scheer looks like smug is being smug with glee. It absolutely infuriates me. Whoever taught Harper to be an emotionless dough boy needs to teach Scheer a lesson because he badly, badly needs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Is ON Premier Doug Ford highly educated? hehe
There seems to be considerable disagreement over whether or not he graduated high school!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:28 AM

If anybody ever watches the Ontario Legislative Assembly on TV, sometimes you catch Vic Fedeli telling Doug Ford what and what not to say. It's pretty sad.

I've never seen that before where a cabinet minister is telling the first minister what to say.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
In a contest between Andrew Scheer and Christia Freeland, there is absolutely no question: Andrew Scheer, by far, has the most punchable face. It's not even close. He looks like a bully who just stole our milk money. He looks like a literal caricature of a sneaky, conniving crook who eventually gets what's coming to him. He gets angry with a smile on his face. Sure, Justin Trudeau looks like smug is being smug, but Andrew Scheer looks like smug is being smug with glee. It absolutely infuriates me. Whoever taught Harper to be an emotionless dough boy needs to teach Scheer a lesson because he badly, badly needs it.

There seems to be considerable disagreement over whether or not he graduated high school!
A few days back, someone described a new official Scheer ad as "nauseating", a description I disagreed with. Yesterday, however, I heard another new radio ad that is based on his love and admiration for his mother, and it did indeed strike me as "nauseating" (cloying sweet iteration). I realize that marketing like this is based on research to ensure it's effective, but that one has me scratching my head as to how that's possible. And I loved and admired my mother!

I assume the mud and ugliness will come out in the election campaign, but this ad struck me as akin to bringing a teddy bear to a knife fight.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Unqualified....emotional wreck.

Other countries leaders laugh at her.

You don't see this or read this or see this on the news.

Or choose to ignore for political parisian reasons.
She's respected all over the world. When Trump made a comment that was an implied criticism of her, European leaders jumped to her defense.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
If anybody ever watches the Ontario Legislative Assembly on TV, sometimes you catch Vic Fedeli telling Doug Ford what and what not to say. It's pretty sad.

I've never seen that before where a cabinet minister is telling the first minister what to say.
It's quite something to watch QP these days. The NDP are killing it and it's quite clear that Ford has no idea what he's doing or how any of this works.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:45 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
She's respected all over the world. When Trump made a comment that was an implied criticism of her, European leaders jumped to her defense.
This is my impression as well.

She did shed tears over the Canada-EU trade talks at one point, but she's recovered extremely well since then and her image on the diplomatic circuit is very strong. Stronger than that of any Canadian foreign minister we've had in a while.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:54 PM

What does she sound like in French, out of curiosity? In English she's extremely articulate and well spoken. I'm guessing by how well she did on Tout le monde en parle that her French is like that too.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
It's quite something to watch QP these days. The NDP are killing it and it's quite clear that Ford has no idea what he's doing or how any of this works.
Does it matter? DoFo has pretty clearly decided that the Trudeau Liberals, and not the Ontario NDP, are his real opponents. At least for the time being.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
What does she sound like in French, out of curiosity? In English she's extremely articulate and well spoken. I'm guessing by how well she did on Tout le monde en parle that her French is like that too.
She'd certainly never be mistaken for a native speaker, but she gets her message across in French, with the sorts of mistakes that are common for anglophones. She's noticeably stronger when she's "on brief", since she's then working with familiar vocabulary, which again is what one would expect.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:11 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
She'd certainly never be mistaken for a native speaker, but she gets her message across in French, with the sorts of mistakes that are common for anglophones. She's noticeably stronger when she's "on brief", since she's then working with familiar vocabulary, which again is what one would expect.
Well, here is her interview from last weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omJ-6qPwg1s

I think she was totally fine. Definitely easy to understand, which isn't always the case for anglos attempting to speak French.

As you can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ffAsHAgNnI

Freeland also gets a lot of kudos for going on that show in the first place, as it isn't always easy on politicians. And in her second (third?) language to boot.

EDIT: Some people in Quebec have also criticized the "fou du roi" (court jester) sidekick guy Dany Turcotte for engaging in some of his usual silliness, given how professional, learned and classy a guest she was.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, here is her interview from last weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omJ-6qPwg1s

I think she was totally fine. Definitely easy to understand, which isn't always the case for anglos attempting to speak French.

As you can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ffAsHAgNnI

Freeland also gets a lot of kudos for going on that show in the first place, as it isn't always easy on politicians. And in her second (third?) language to boot.

EDIT: Some people in Quebec have also criticized the "fou du roi" (court jester) sidekick guy Dany Turcotte for engaging in some of his usual silliness, given how professional, learned and classy a guest she was.
Third or fourth language, I think. She also speaks Ukranian and Russian, and, apparently, Italian.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:34 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
If you have to ask this...wow.
I can't read your mind. Are you going to explain what your point is?

Is it the part where Freeland is a Rhodes Scholar that you object to?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:55 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
That's because they're well... European leaders.

Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:00 PM

freeland is one of the foreign leaders who is beating the war drums against Russia (especially in Ukraine, where her Nazi grandfather is from and where Neo-Naziism has gained power in the illegal government).

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:03 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
freeland is one of the foreign leaders who is beating the war drums against Russia (especially in Ukraine, where her Nazi grandfather is from and where Neo-Naziism has gained power in the illegal government).
You can't be serious. Is Freeland the one who invaded Crimea or the Donbass? Or the one pushing further into Georgia? Or propping up the Syrian regime?

I know where your political sympathies lie but the Soviet Union is gone, Putin is not your friend.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:13 PM
Monsieur Sainte-Nitouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
Do the words "beating the war drums" and "Canada"' even belong in the same sentence?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:17 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Do the words "beating the war drums" and "Canada"' even belong in the same sentence?
It's absurd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada