HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 6:22 PM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Suburbs Suck
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Castlegar BC
Posts: 5,929
I can't wait to eat local olives!
__________________
Daily 1 hour flights from YCG to YVR & YYC on ACX
British Columbia is named after the Columbia River, a 4 minute walk from my house
Exactly halfway between Vancouver and Calgary
castlegar.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:02 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Yes they are.
Link please.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:14 PM
Jets4Life's Avatar
Jets4Life Jets4Life is online now
SJW Slayer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Link please.
Call me cynical but I know human nature. If you think the World is going to hold hands and sing Kumbaya, you are in for a very unpleasant surprise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:24 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Call me cynical but I know human nature. If you think the World is going to hold hands and sing Kumbaya, you are in for a very unpleasant surprise.
Your self-declared expertise in human nature is not a link. Nobody with any scientific credibility is predicting that “massively populated regions of the US” will be uninhabitable.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:40 PM
Jets4Life's Avatar
Jets4Life Jets4Life is online now
SJW Slayer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Your self-declared expertise in human nature is not a link. Nobody with any scientific credibility is predicting that “massively populated regions of the US” will be uninhabitable.
Keep living in denial if it suits you.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:48 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,152
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:00 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Climate change will completely erase all of Florida? Bring it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:05 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,152
And D.C
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:08 PM
Jets4Life's Avatar
Jets4Life Jets4Life is online now
SJW Slayer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Thanks for posting this. 2'000,000,000 displaced people. In perspective that is 400x the people displaced in Syria.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:17 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,608
Again, nobody is predicting all of the ice will melt. The high estimates for sea level rise are less than 1 m by 2100. 1m of sea level rise will inconvenience a lot of people, but it will not bring about the apocalypse.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:17 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,152
Not Canada but the message holds ture here. Ontario's last election was proof of it.

Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:19 PM
TorontoDrew's Avatar
TorontoDrew TorontoDrew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5,152
Just swap out Trump with Ford, and that is how his supporters think about the environment.

Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 8:27 PM
Doug Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,783
I'm more worried about misguided and disingenuous climate change activism than climate change itself. Climate change is a convenient justification for expanded government scope, wealth transfer and decreased accountability as progress is difficult to measure.

Government action cannot address climate change. While carbon taxation would be the best academic solution, it would fail for numerous regions:
-governments can't help but play favorites, excepting some groups while unduly punishing others. A CO2 molecule need be taxed the same no matter it's source or impact to a group
-governments will never align carbon taxation regimes, creating arbitrage opportunities. Targeting oil and gas production in one region, for example, incents it in another
-carbon taxes are unpopular, pushing governments to rebate at least some of the revenue back. Rebates work counter to discouraging consumption through higher prices
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:29 PM
CityTech CityTech is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Westboro, Ottawa
Posts: 117
Ideally: A global carbon tax, imposed by a international organization. It can use the proceeds firstly to manage itself, secondly to enforce its tax, and thirdly for mitigation measures (disaster relief, seawalls, etc.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 9:36 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I'm more worried about misguided and disingenuous climate change activism than climate change itself. Climate change is a convenient justification for expanded government scope, wealth transfer and decreased accountability as progress is difficult to measure.

Government action cannot address climate change. While carbon taxation would be the best academic solution, it would fail for numerous regions:
-governments can't help but play favorites, excepting some groups while unduly punishing others. A CO2 molecule need be taxed the same no matter it's source or impact to a group
-governments will never align carbon taxation regimes, creating arbitrage opportunities. Targeting oil and gas production in one region, for example, incents it in another
-carbon taxes are unpopular, pushing governments to rebate at least some of the revenue back. Rebates work counter to discouraging consumption through higher prices
A typically Albertan response: do nothing.

If governments can't do anything, who can? Are you suggesting businesses will?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 10:15 PM
Jets4Life's Avatar
Jets4Life Jets4Life is online now
SJW Slayer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
A typically Albertan response: do nothing.

If governments can't do anything, who can? Are you suggesting businesses will?
Typical Lower Mainland BC response. Talk down to Alberta but enjoy the 100000 people in your province working in the oil and gas industry seasonally out of province since it's more profitable than logging and forestry in your own province.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 10:21 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Ideally: A global carbon tax, imposed by a international organization. It can use the proceeds firstly to manage itself, secondly to enforce its tax, and thirdly for mitigation measures (disaster relief, seawalls, etc.)
That’s a nice idea, but there is zero possibility major emitters like the US, China and Russia would ever agree.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 10:35 PM
Hackslack Hackslack is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 702
We put a man on the moon in the sixties.

We landed a prob that travelled 6.4 billion kilometers over 10 years and landed on a comit ... just to learn more about our solar system.

We have a space probe that is now in interstellar space, having been launched in the 70s.

We can now detect gravitational waves from merging black holes millions of light years away.

I am pretty comfortable in saying that peoplekind have enough ingenuity to solve the problem of climate change, not just a f’n tax that is actually just wealth redistribution that will actually entice people to buy more things... unless of course those people just leave that cash under their pillow or buy trees to plant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:36 AM
Doug Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
If governments can't do anything, who can? Are you suggesting businesses will?
Absolutely. The business opportunities are massive.
To date, the greatest innovation to combat climate change has been shale gas.

Government only impedes innovation. Besides adaptation, all government could do would be to reduce its own footprint by downsizing, or reducing immigration. Neither of those are politically feasible
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:56 AM
Jets4Life's Avatar
Jets4Life Jets4Life is online now
SJW Slayer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: True North
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
That’s a nice idea, but there is zero possibility major emitters like the US, China and Russia would ever agree.
This is precisely why the World is screwed. Nearly half the World's population lives in India and China, and they are determined to get their piece of the cake. China is now the leader of CO2 emissions, replacing the USA. Whatever Canada decides, it will be negligible. With 36.5 million people, we make up less than 0.5% of the population.




Last edited by Jets4Life; Oct 12, 2018 at 1:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:42 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.