HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:00 AM
Identity Condiment

The closest thing to a National Bank "branch" in Thunder Bay is an office on the 6th floor of a building downtown. I don't know exactly what they do there or why they're in such an inaccessible place, it's not an office anyone can walk into.

DesJardins, in just 3 years, went from being the main tenant in one of the city's most recognizable buildings, to a Voyageurs branch in a corner of a strip mall, to "we've transferred your accounts to Copperfin, good bye". I have no idea what happened or why. HSBC did the same thing, falling from having the naming rights to an office "tower" to a little branch in an industrial park to "online only". The branch they built is now a massive "new concept" credit union where instead of tellers, you sit down at a sofa with a financial advisor in a large cafe thing.

Manulife Bank is apparently a thing now, too. They came out of nowhere with their deal to put an ATM in every Ailing Couch Turd.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 4:59 AM

Rodents scurrying around Avalon Mall movie theatre

Cineplex taking matter 'very seriously,' after rodents crash moviegoer's A Star Is Born experience

CBC News · Posted: Oct 09, 2018

Rodents are crashing the movie-going experience at Cineplex Theatres at the Avalon Mall in St. John's.

This weekend, one moviegoer went to see A Star Is Born, but the film was crashed by what look like rats running around the theatre.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...plex-1.4855116

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I always got a kick out of those "little banks". I get that the ones you named are big in Quebec, but they have a funny little presence across the country even where they're bit players. I don't know who uses them in the rest of Canada except possibly for business clients?

Until recently, Laurentian Bank used to have a little branch tucked away in the North End of Winnipeg and I have no idea who it was intended for... I don't get why people would opt for them given the limited number of branches, ATMs, etc. out here. They don't have a location in Winnipeg anymore but strangely enough there's one in Brandon.

National Bank used to have a branch near Portage and Main but AFAIK their main branch these days is in St. Boniface. I suppose the Francophone community must have some affinity to the brand?
We have a decent sized branch in Timmins, ON: https://goo.gl/maps/k4XzS3NRfEJ2

And it seems that almost all of the customers there are francophone. It has two signs with one being "BANQUE NATIONALE" and the other being "NATIONAL BANK." I honestly don't know what the benefits are of banking there. I believe they don't have any other ATMs in the city.

I once opened an account there when I was younger in the mid 1990s and got terrible service. The manager was a real bitch and she treated me like shit. She really made me feel unwelcome and refused to give me a banking card for my account until I was a customer for 3 months. I went back after 3 months and she said that the waiting time was actually 6 months! So I closed my account and went to another bank where they obviously gave me a bank card right away.

We have all of the big banks here of course but the Caisse Populaire with two locations which is quite popular. It is part of an Ontario based organization and not Desjardins. We also have the Northern Credit Union and the Community First credit union. Scotiabank has three branches here which is the most of any bank.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 5:37 AM

What other kind of banks are across Canada?

We have a few chinese banks, Bank of China, Industrial & Commercial Bank Of China, Coquitlam has a couple of Korean banks. Shinan Bank
and Keb Hana Bank.

And has Union Pay becoming more popular in other cities? a lot of stores and places take it Vancouver area now.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:45 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ I doubt UnionPay is anywhere near as popular in Manitoba as it is around Toronto or Vancouver, but their logo is starting to become a much more common sight around here too.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:49 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I doubt UnionPay is anywhere near as popular in Manitoba as it is around Toronto or Vancouver, but their logo is starting to become a much more common sight around here too.
You also see it from time to time around these parts too - especially in touristy areas.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:02 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post

We have all of the big banks here of course but the Caisse Populaire with two locations which is quite popular. It is part of an Ontario based organization and not Desjardins. .
Yes I believe for a long time the caisses populaires in northern Ontario were not affiliated with Desjardins. (Those in eastern Ontario have been with Desjardins for a long time.)

Though I just looked up the web page for the Timmins caisse and they've got Desjardins' online AccèsD application there, so it looks like they've finally come into the fold, at least to some degree.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 4:25 AM

I'm only familiar with the abbreviated bank names in Canada, never knew Scotia Bank originated as Bank of Nova Scotia but totally makes sense when one thinks about it.

As far as other types of Banks in Canada, FNBC is based in Saskatoon, and Concentra Bank is also headquartered in Saskatoon & is a Canadian wholesale bank and trust company.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...690931191.html

Quote:
originally posted by SpongeG
Rodents scurrying around Avalon Mall movie theatre
OMFG i'd freak if I knew rats were enjoying movies along with me in theatre!

Speaking of Movie watching...

This was the last week for the Drive-In Movie Cinema Season for at least two Prairie screens in Saskatchewan & Manitoba. The Flin Flon, MB Drive-In also being the most Northern in Canada.

My first and favourite Drive-In Theatre is in Kyle, Sask.

http://www.clearwaterdrivein.com/

Something I've learned being in the UK is that Drive-Ins never took off here like in North America in the last century.

Back to the Future!!
Quote:
SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES: THE RISE OF UK DRIVE-IN CINEMA
... as quintessential a slice of Americana as cheerleaders, Country music and “Big Block” Chevy V8s, has always struggled to get a foothold in the UK, but the idea is now catching on with those fed up with their local multiplex.
Route 66 Drive-in, was the UK’s first permanent drive-in cinema when it opened in Manchester in 2012.
https://www.driving.co.uk/news/satur...ive-in-cinema/

After the age of movie rental stores like Blockbuster in last century (only one location left in N.America in Bend, Oregon) & with Netflix this century, & with the ease of uploading files to digital projectors, its interesting to take an inventory of what Drive-In Theatres still exist:

Ontario has almost half of all the Drive-In Cinemas in Canada, Quebec has 5 and Saskatchewan with 4. Five other Provinces still have Drive-Ins.

http://www.driveinmovie.com/Canada

NewFoundland's last Drive-In ended after damage in an Ice Storm exactly 26 years ago yesterday, October 10th 1992, apparently. That Drive-In had a habit of offering 'Fog Out' rain-checks for bad weather days.

http://www.hiddennewfoundland.ca/brookfield-drive-in

One of Manitoba's Drive-Ins has been closed ever since two consecutive years damaged by Thunderstorms a couple years ago.

https://globalnews.ca/news/2788617/s...r-second-time/

The city of Saskatoon's last Drive-In closed four years ago, having remained opened for several years even after being destroyed after a tornado during the movie 'Twister' back in the 1990's.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/29375

Some current Drive-Ins in some smaller provinces are struggling from being locked-in with screening-rights agreements with Disney.

https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2018...th-disney.html

Old Posted Oct 17, 2018, 1:41 AM
Identity Condiment

Quote:
Man alleged to be Toronto aquarium skinny-dipper arrested in Thunder Bay

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...sted-1.4865650

A man who made headlines on Monday when a video surfaced on social media allegedly showing him jumping into a shark-filled aquarium in the nude has been arrested, police say.

Police said David Weaver, a 37-year-old Nelson, B.C. resident, was arrested in Thunder Bay on Tuesday.
Of course he was arrested in Thunder Bay. It seems the only people we arrest these days are people from Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

From one of the several ongoing official investigations into harassment within our Liberal caucus.

Quote:
The report of that investigation outlines a series of events between Liberal backbencher Pam Parsons and Kirby, in which the two apparently smoked marijuana together at the Liberal convention in 2016 and exchanged barbs over text message.

In the leaked report, Parsons said Kirby told her he "wanted to get along with me" and said "you are beautiful and I love you," and she said he suggested she not present a petition on behalf of her constituents, because "it would be harmful politically to the premier."

Parsons said the comment did not feel sexual, but "was more patronizing," the report states, adding that she found it "strange."

Kirby said Parsons had "asked me if I wanted to smoke marijuana with her," and the two went to the parking lot to smoke.

"I do not recall making the comments she attributes to me but I also do not dispute them," Kirby is quoted as saying in the report.

"They should, however, be understood in the context of the two of us smoking marijuana in the parking lot of Hotel Gander during the Liberal convention."

The report states that Kirby said he "might have said the he loved the complainant in 'an aging punk rocker 1980's way,' adding that he has been married for 15 years."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 5:56 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
From one of the several ongoing official investigations into harassment within our Liberal caucus.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador
So I looked up this Kirby guy.

He does NOT look like the type who'd smoke marijuana in a parking lot and hit on a fellow legislator. Nor does he look like "an aging 1980s punk rocker"...

Double

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 1:32 AM
Identity Condiment

He looks like what we in the LGBT community call, "a daddy".

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 4:15 AM

has his career dried up that he is doing RBC commercials?

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 5:23 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Who is he?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 6:45 AM

rRemai mModern Art Gallery of Saskatchewan in it's first 365 days since open, exceeded target revenue by more than doubling it's expected visitor count, & doubling it's gallery membership.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-in-first-year

The Saskatoon Gallery has had almost half a million visitors, 40% from out of province, even though Remai Modern didn't plan for hosting any special local or touring exhibits in it's first year.
Although the gallery isn't expected to attract the same number of visitors in subsequent years, The Remai Modern still intends to raise $5.5 million in 2019.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Who is he?
+1

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 8:33 PM

Jay Baruchel has been in a bunch of movies, some TV series that were pretty popular

talking about montreal
Video Link

his career
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 12:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Encountered a new surname today from the Goulds neighbourhood of St. John's: Stcoeur (pronounced Sticker). I am appalled

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Encountered a new surname today from the Goulds neighbourhood of St. John's: Stcoeur (pronounced Sticker). I am appalled
Hard to imagine how it morphed into other than "Saint Cur". Acadian surname, isn't it?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I would've expected it to become Sanker here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada