HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Which option would you vote in favour?
Option A 2 33.33%
Option B1 2 33.33%
Option B2 1 16.67%
Option B3 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 12:23 AM

Here's a typical Ottawa Terminal, this one is Tunney's Pasture. There are a bunch of terminals like this along the transitway.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 4:04 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

no people. but nice shot. and wicked shelter from the elements. Should've gone a bit easy on the red paint. Maybe it's to distract the eye from the cement water stains. I like Steeltown's better.

Is that Minto I see peaking over the ped bridge.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2010, 4:11 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I wish that was MacNab between Main and King. Looks exactly like the view *that could be * from BDC to Stelco. This is nice.

I hope those curved double-canopy rooftops work with hard rainfalls from right to left.

I'm just thinking about the '100-year rainfalls' that seem to happen every 9-months over the RedHill Valley Expressway.

Last edited by realcity; Jul 11, 2010 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 2:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

Heat under the street downtown

http://www.thespec.com/videozone/250926

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 4:51 PM

^^
That's actually pretty cool.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 4:34 AM

Couple of pic from Sunday am of the "MacNab Transit Terminal" or MTT.

Can't see it opening next month.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 3:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 9:30 PM
Hammer'd

Looking good but yeah, doubt it'll be ready next month. This thing has been taking forever.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 4:59 AM

I cannot see this finished by Christmas. ¾ of the centre lane has not been started yet. They have not even laid the concrete base that has to be down before they put in the plastic heating pipes for that part of the road. There are poles and control boxes still in the middle of the road that need to be moved.

Here are some pictures from Oct 13th.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 6:35 PM

It looks far from done but you'd be surprised how fast these projects can wrap up. Judging by those pictures the concrete work there is probably less than a weeks worth. As far as the heating system goes I'm not as familiar with it, it seems like it could take a bit longer.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 3:12 PM

Looking at it today, it looks to be nearing completion. They may very well squeak in an October finish date yet.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 10:20 PM

2000 posts Mark!! Nice work! Not sure if this particular one was your 2000th, but anyway - your opinions are great to have on this board.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 11:45 PM

The new transit terminal will be in operation as of January 2, 2011.

Image Source: City of Hamilton website

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 1:14 PM

Is that going to be open to cars still, or is it a bus-only area now?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 3:30 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Heat under the street downtown

http://www.thespec.com/videozone/250926
This post was from a few months ago but it is fascinating with all the technical details that they gave on operating and testing the system. I know that some football fields are heated (such as Lambeau Field in Green Bay) and I wonder if it is the same system? This is only slightly related to the topic, but I lived in Japan many years ago and one city Toyama used city water in temporary hoses by spraying the water along the sidewalks and streets to melt snow in the downtown area (instead of plowing) during periods of snow. Luckily it didn't get cold enough for it to freeze (they got lots of snow but it stayed close to the freezing point).

Last edited by fenwick16; Dec 30, 2010 at 3:46 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Is that going to be open to cars still, or is it a bus-only area now?
Northbound MacNab will be one lane, the westernmost roadway.
Southbound MacNab will have one lane for general traffic through the easternmost roadway. Probably a requirement to provide access to the Commerce Towers. The other lane, and the entire centre roadway is for buses only.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 1:00 AM

Mac Nab Terminal now open
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...minal-now-open

Danielle Wong

January 2, 2011

Hamilton’s downtown underwent a historic change Sunday as the long-awaited MacNab Street bus terminal finally opened.

This moves buses out of the south leg of Gore Park, which was the Hamilton Street Railway’s downtown hub for more than a century.

The new modern terminal on the east side of MacNab between King and Main streets features heated platforms, new bus shelters, a landscaped “green” roof, enhanced access for wheelchairs and bikes and public washrooms.

The terminal is a key step in the city’s vision to turn Gore Park into a Victorian-style pedestrian mall, featuring wider sidewalks, public art, veterans memorials and raised flower beds.

Garry Francis, 57, who has been driving for the HSR for eight years, said the move is a progressive step for the city, as there were too many close calls with passengers running in front of buses.

“It’s going to make Gore Park a public place where people can go and you don’t have the buses down there rumbling through,” Francis said.

But the move also marked a shift in drivers’ historical routes as there aren’t many longtime drivers who don’t have their own stories about Gore Park, he said. “It is in fact a historical moment. It’s changing Hamilton’s footprint. Kids that ride the bus and go down there now, their parents, grandparents and great-grandparents I’m sure caught buses down to that area.”

Francis and a group of other HSR drivers gathered at Gore Park to ride the last bus out of Gore Park at about midnight Sunday.

But not all passengers are fully on board with the change. Adela Berrios, 55, said the move made it inconvenient for riders from the Mountain.

Berrios had to take the bus first from her home to the MacNab hub and walk back to King Street on the north side of Gore Park to catch the 34 bus west to work Sunday afternoon. “I think it’s going to be a little complicated for the people on the Mountain,” she said.

She knew about the move weeks ago because there was signage in the bus shelter. Berrios said other passengers will probably still be confused for the first while.

But Gerry Belford, 69, a retired truck driver who has been taking the HSR for decades, said he was happy about the change. “I don’t like the idea of cars on that street,” he said, pointing to the two-way King Street. “It should be all park.”

Belford added it will be nice to finally have shelter from the rain and a warm place to wait, as commuters tend to huddle under businesses and shops’ canopies along the sidewalk in bad weather.

The co-ordinator of the Hamilton Transit Users Group, Peter Hutton, however, said a Hunter Street terminal would have been a more ideal location, as it would have interfaced with GO buses and would connect more easily for transfers.

The MacNab hub was originally slated to open in August, but was delayed to mid-October and then again to Sunday’s date because of several factors. They included the time it took to install plastic underground tubing to heat the pavement and platforms during the winter, as well as to assign bus operators new schedules and carry out dry runs at the terminal.

Transit routes 21-27, 33 and 35 at Gore Park were moved to the new MacNab terminal.

The Amalgamated Transit Union Local 107 vice-president Eric Tuck said the move was “long overdue.”

Washrooms, in fact, are one of the main benefits for bus operators with the new facility, Tuck said. “We’ve always had to rely on generosity of merchants downtown to use the facilities, so it’ll be nice to have our own facilities.”

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 2:08 PM

I drove by the terminal on my way to work this morning. It looks great.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 5:25 PM

I checked it out yesterday and was impressed. I really like the design of it. I also walked through Gore Park yesterday around 5:30 and there was not a soul to be found.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 7:46 PM
Hammer'd

I also checked it out yesterday and the fit and finish is quite superb. They really went above and beyond with the little details. It's actually a terminal that a city could be proud of having.

I'm just waiting for some punk kid to come along and start acid etching all those glass panels and tagging up the decorative route number poles.

"This is why we can't have nice things..."
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure