HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 6:14 AM
From the Shwa

I am Hamilton's Newest Resident!

Hey Guys!

As some of you know I bought a condo in Hamilton about 2 months ago, I am just now moving in to the place. I will post before and after the renovation pictures later. Basicly what I wanted to know is.. while.. what do I need to know? I hear a lot of talk about crime in the downtown core and would like to know where is safe as I dont really want my wife to walk around at night and such if its really that bad.. I will be living in the Olympia on Charlton Ave E. Could you guys tell me about the best places to eat, where to avoid.. where we can walk.. were big walkers.. etc..

Thanks in Advance..

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 12:38 PM

Welcome to Hamilton!

I don't live downtown, but I never think about crime. My wife works on Barton St. and she doesn't worry about it. According to Statistics Canada, Hamilton's crime isn't too bad. In recent years, Hamilton's crime rate has been going down. Plus there are surveillance cameras downtown if that makes you feel any safer.

Code:
Crime rates for selected offences by census metropolitan area
  	       Homicide    Robbery    Break-ins    Auto theft   Total Criminal Code Offences
  	     2004 rate 	  2004 rate    2004 rate    2004 rate 	2004 rate    % change in rate 2003 to 2004*

Winnipeg1 	4.9 	229 	1,124 	1,932 	12,167 	1.9
Vancouver 	2.6 	148 	1,325 	1,104 	11,814 	0.2
Edmonton 	3.4 	141 	1,129 	1,018 	11,332 	3.0
Montréal 	1.7 	150 	894 	663 	8,173 	2.7
Calgary 	1.9 	91 	815 	457 	7,101 	-3.2
Hamilton 	1.3 	88 	680 	540 	5,764 	-13.0
Ottawa2 	1.1 	84 	578 	316 	5,663 	-10.0
Quebec 	        0.8 	59 	783 	277 	4,997 	-0.9
Toronto 	1.8 	103 	449 	325 	4,699 	-8.6

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 3:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

Crime in the downtown isn't bad, probably the biggest myth out there for Hamilton. I can only think of one big crime that happened in downtown Hamilton and that was a kid getting stabbed outside of a nightclub. The police used Youtube to catch the killer. The rest are drug related crimes, every city face that problem.

For stuff to do in the neighbourhood you should talk to DC he's your neighbour now lol

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 8:34 PM
Closed account

I don't know where this view of crime in downtown Hamilton comes from.
The executive director of the International Village BIA lives in your building...she's a sweet lady who has lived there for decades and walks down Ferguson to work every day. And guess what? no problems. not once.
Check out James South, King East (James to Wellington), King William, James North, Hess and Locke South. Even John South is developing a nifty little district with bars/restaurants etc.... and of course, the Farmers Market/library are great.
Welcome...let's see some pics this week when it gets bitter cold and sunny on Wed-Friday. Your view will be killer.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 2:40 AM
Closed account

ya, i don't know where this hamilton=crime talk has come from. yes, if look back at the homicide stats from the 70s and 80s they were pretty grim compared to today. anyway, like everyone else has already stated, downtown is safe.

check out augusta street and the corktown for good food and drink. both are a couple blocks from you. cheers!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 2:43 AM

I have heard that there are shootings in Hamilton on a fairly regular basis. Is that true?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 3:50 AM
It's Hammer Time

lol that a joke?

I have heard there's houses being blowing up each night because a meth lab gone bad which happens on a regular basis as well.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 5:13 AM
Closed account

HEY!
I think I would have the best answers for the neighbourhood since I'm your newest neighbour (I guess).
Corktown is not NEARLY as bad as it seems.
I used to work til like 2-3 am some nights, roller blade home and be completely safe.
The WORST that has happened to me in the recent past (I think this was back in Nov or Dec) was a drunk guy coming up to me wanting to be my best-friend! :p

ONLY SUGGESTION re.: crime: DO NOT allow your friends / family to park under Victoria School. I've seen a lot of theft / vandalism happen to cars under there.

Congrats and WELCOME, WZ1! Look forward to seeing you round the block (taking pics I'm assuming). hehe

SUGGESTION for Entertainment: Read The View magazing (http://www.viewmag.com) for upcoming events; Corktown has some good shows sometimes.
CHECK OUT Modern India Buffet on Main / Walnut... best buffet downtown (IMO).
Ummm, Augusta Street (aka Hess Jr for the "older" crowd).
But most imoprtantly, just walk around and discover things -- best way to find stuff anywhere you live!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2007, 12:45 PM
Closed account

you nailed it DC. great advice.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 7:08 AM

I hear your building's got a squash court. I was thinking of buying a unit there when I first moved to Hamilton. For good Indian Food, go to Modern Indian Cuisine on Main st and Walnut(?) Enjoy a cup of coffee at P.A.M. at jackson square. Check out Denningers and the Asian mart on the second level (just try the honeydew popsicles).

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 4:44 PM
Closed account

there's a couple great hot pot places near your condo.
Hot Pot House on John and Augusta and Liu Liu Hot Pot on Walnut between King and Main (just past Modern India)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 11:05 PM
Great White Norf

Congrats WZ1!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
lol that a joke?

I have heard there's houses being blowing up each night because a meth lab gone bad which happens on a regular basis as well.
Why would it be a joke?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 3:16 AM

^^There are certain Hamilton residents who would like to think Hamilton's hard like Detroit or something. I think there were 7 murders last year, there are usually under 10 per year, one of the lowest murder rates in Canada, mostly stabbings and beatings. I guess people believe the myths because of Hamilton's gritty appearance.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 3:25 AM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Why would it be a joke?
Have you heard any shootings yet on the news lately?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 3:54 AM
Closed account

let's not waste an ounce of breath on whether Hamilton is Compton.
I noticed tonight a new sign for the 'James Forest Cafe' on James South in the complex with nice new apartments.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 7:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthEndRules View Post
I hear your building's got a squash court. I was thinking of buying a unit there when I first moved to Hamilton. For good Indian Food, go to Modern Indian Cuisine on Main st and Walnut(?) Enjoy a cup of coffee at P.A.M. at jackson square. Check out Denningers and the Asian mart on the second level (just try the honeydew popsicles).

Squash Court, yes. But no one plays Squash in it anymore... Mostly basketball (That's what I play anyway).
There is a Trophy in the Squash room for the Olympia Tower Squash Tournament... last winner was in 1981. hahaha

There's also: a ping pong table, billiards room, Indoor Pool / Sauna, Gym, Convenience Str and a 24hr Laundry Room bigger than most Laundromats!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 3:18 PM
Closed account

no pics yet??

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Have you heard any shootings yet on the news lately?
http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/bre...s_8017242.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2007, 12:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

31 days into the year and one shooting still doesn't count as being on a "fairly regular basis".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion