HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 6:36 PM

Looks like Westwood Power Centre is expanding again, new construction next to Toys R Us, no indication as to what is happening..

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 7:17 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymac View Post
Looks like Westwood Power Centre is expanding again, new construction next to Toys R Us, no indication as to what is happening..
Eew, is that the one around Southdale and Wonderland? It actually has a name! I would deem those disgusting developments not worthy of names.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 2:38 PM

LOL yeah, they give them names but you never hear anyone using them. There's one in Mississauga on Mavis road they are trying to brand into a neighbourhood but it's just a few large power centres huddled around an intersection.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymac View Post
They need to get moving extending Bradley...they already have the street sign up at the new lights there it's kinda sad.

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 4:55 AM
Londoner

City OKs $20M for Fanshawe

Update!!!

City council voted Monday to raise the curtain on a new star in downtown London, but not all the early reviews are positive.

By a 10-5 vote, politicians approved granting up to $20 million for Fanshawe College's downtown School of Applied and Performance Arts, which is projected to eventually bring 1,000 students to the core.

The project has been billed as a key step to further revitalize downtown, though not everyone joined Joe Fontana in a figurative standing ovation Monday.

"We're talking about building a city and a future (for) our downtown," the mayor said following a long debate.

Chief among councillors uneasy with the investment is Joe Swan, who's concerned that Ontario's government -- colleges, after all, are a provincial responsibility -- has so far committed no money.

Swan was firm in his questioning of Howard Rundle, Fanshawe's president, and steadfast in about whether the project is a good use of taxpayers' money.

"It just seems the city is the only one putting $20 million on the table and everyone else might come at some time," Swan said, adding he's not convinced that will happen.

"It's a concept, it's a plan, it's a hope, it's a wish."

And considering the size of the city's investment, Swan wondered about the "magnitude" of the impact -- noting the John Labatt Centre cost $42 million.

The deal would give post-secondary education -- a feature of many thriving downtowns in North American cities -- its first major presence in London's core.

The resistance to the deal was no doubt interesting for Rundle, who noted the city approached the college about the plan -- not the other way around.

If all the downtown campus plans come to fruition, the total price tag is about $40 million.

While the contract doesn't specifically state the college and province will spend $20 million to match the city share, Rundle says it's a likely expectation.

"Fanshawe is committed to this project. Our estimate is that it would cost another $20 million to do the project completely," he told reporters after the vote.

Of the $20-million half Fanshawe must supply, it's hoped $6 million will come from Queen's Park (the rest from fundraising and the school's reserves). But if it doesn't, the city needn't worry, Rundle told politicians before Monday night's debate.

"You give us the $20 million -- and it's up to us to come up with the other $20 million," he said. "It's our problem. The city doesn't have to worry about that."

Some councillors, such as Paul Hubert, expressed confidence in the safeguards built into the deal, which essentially state if Fanshawe's promises don't come to fruition, the city can scale back its investment.

With the concerns mounting, there was also a sense of urgency to Monday's debate.

Fanshawe has options to buy at least two downtown buildings that will expire in about two weeks. If council didn't approve the money Monday night, it could badly hamper the project's progress.

"It's now or never. We either pass this or we don't," Coun. Harold Usher said.

The much-delayed deal, under which the downtown campus could develop over the next decade, calls for the city to invest at least $1.5 million a year from 2011 to 2022 and $2 million in 2023.

The city, however, can invest at a faster rate if possible.

Of the city money, $10 million is an "economic development" grant. The other $10 million will offset renovation costs if Fanshawe buys "heritage" core buildings built before 1950.

The campus is expected to bring some 1,000 students downtown for a number of programs. Confirmed so far are theatre performance, technical theatre and costume design.

The school expects the campus to open in September 2013.

The councillors who voted in vain against the $20-million funding were Swan, Stephen Orser, Paul Van Meerbergen, Bill Armstrong and Denise Brown.

But criticisms of the plan aren't confined to city hall. Another bit of concern comes from the Fanshawe union, which says the college at first promised 75 full-time jobs at the campus but now pledges only 75 "full-time equivalents."

Old Posted May 10, 2011, 12:22 PM

I know there's a lot of criticism about city council being so focused on the downtown. But I think you need only to look at the progress that's been made over the past decade to understand why they want to keep the momentum going.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 3:20 AM
Londoner

‘Early days of rebirth’ of core area

People think nothing about shelling out big bucks for luxury condominium living in the core.

This might be just the beginning of the million-dollar condominium in London.

Within 24 hours of unveiling them, Tricar Group sold two million-dollar condominiums that will sit atop the second downtown Renaissance tower. The developer is now looking at sites for yet another tower in the downtown.

"We were shocked," Joe Carapella, president of Tricar Group, said of the quick sale. "We wondered whether London was ready but these are firm deals and we could have sold others if we had them."

Tricar has pre-sold 30 condominiums in its new, 188-unit building and 16 of those are penthouses. There are 21 penthouses in the building that won't open until mid-2013.

"When people are prepared to spend that kind of money in housing, they could live anywhere, but that tells you downtown is very happening," Carapella said.

The two $1-million condo buyers were London and area residents, a professional and entrepreneur who preferred not to be named.

"We are absolutely looking for a place to build another tower. We think this is in its infancy - it is the early days of the rebirth of downtown London," Carapella said.

Jim Kennedy, president of the London Development Institute, agreed, saying "there is a lot of interest" among developers and builders considering the core, especially in light of the city and Fanshawe College planning to build a $20-million education campus in the core. And that's on the heels of the city spending $100 million on downtown development in recent years.

"People are looking downtown, they are waiting and seeing what is happening with the economy and the new city hall," and other development proposals, Kennedy said.

But London is part of a trend across Canada. More cities are seeing people return to their downtown, with empty nesters tiring of mowing the lawn, driving everywhere and the blandness of suburban life, said Jason Gilliland, director of the urban development program at the University of Western Ontario.

"This is happening not just in London, condos are going up like crazy everywhere. It is about a real demographic shift" as baby boomers age, he said.

--- --- ---

Downtown living

Tricar Group has buildings at 22 Picton St., 125 units; a condominium at Wellington and Pall Mall, 80 units; the first Renaissance tower has 277 units and the second will be 188 units. That's a total of 670 units with about two people living in each unit.

In addition, Drewlo, Auburn and Old Oak have all built new residences in the core.

More than 5,000 people live downtown and 16,000 in central London.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 1:48 PM

Every year I hear rumours about a condo development going-up along Exeter Rd on the site of the baseball diamond complex (previously Dreamers).

Truth... or an urban legend that won't die? Does the city own that property, or is it actually owned by a private developer?

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 4:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^quite possibly one of the worst sites for high density dwellings, as it is very far from everything except the dumbcentre.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^quite possibly one of the worst sites for high density dwellings, as it is very far from everything except the dumbcentre.
Agreed! I also don't want to see 100+ teams given the boot because of the lack of alternatives in London. That's why I'm curious if it's city owned...

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohnnyfever View Post
Agreed! I also don't want to see 100+ teams given the boot because of the lack of alternatives in London. That's why I'm curious if it's city owned...
It started off privately owned, called "Dreamers" softball complex, and then the Optimists bought it, or are at least operating it. Most big softball complexes are privately owned (the Dorchester slo-pitch complex is a good example). The truth is that when development makes it's way out there (which will be soon), that land will be far too valuable to remain as sports fields unless the owners want to walk away from mega bucks in the name of baseball. On the bright side, if demand is high enough, a new complex will spring up elsewhere.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 10:37 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

An update on the new Commercial building on Richmond and Carling from today, by me:

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n596/Simpseatles/

I know it's still just the frame and all, but this thing seems to be moving fast!

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Mr. Pizza. How original. Kinda like Mr. Muffler, Mr. Sub, Mr. Donut. Mister Mister (take...these broken wings!!).
Found another one. "Mr. Dog" in Stratford. It uses exactly the same logo as Mr. Sub, even with the maple leaf in the period. As the name suggests they sell hot dogs.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 1:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London needs a Mr. Sleep Apnea outlet. and a Mr. Hearing Aid store. (listen to London radio: every second advertisement is "Listen Up, Canada...turn up the volume of Life!!" "Hi. I'm Dr. Brock Rondeau of the TMD dental centre. Do you or someone you know suffer from sleep apnea?" "Crazy AL's....morse code!"

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 1:07 PM

I am sure most people have heard about this by now....I really hope the city tells this complaining resident to shut their mouths, I do not see how being to big is a bad thing it's not like they will be stealing business from anyone.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../18209276.html
London is poised to land a 500-job food manufacturing giant from Germany.

The company, Dr. Oetker, made a $3.5-million conditional offer on 66 acres of land on the southwest corner of Veterans Memorial Parkway and Bradley Ave. for a plant to make frozen pizzas it will sell across Canada. The deal, discussed behind closed doors, was disclosed in the minutes of a May 9 council meeting.

“This is a big company, a huge opportunity. It’s brilliant for us,” said Gerry Macartney of the London Chamber of Commerce, referring to the region’s agricultural belt.

“We’re here in the heartland of wheat, eggs, milk — and what we can do with that is make food, and a lot of it.”

But the Oetker deal still faces hurdles at city hall.

The land sale is conditional on several factors, including “variances” allowing the city to build a larger building than is now allowed in Innovation Park.

One neighbour has objected to the scale of the development and hired a lawyer to try to address the concerns, said sources close to the deal.

If the city cannot appease the resident, the deal may crumble.

The issue is going to a closed-door session of council this week.

“The neighbour has to be in agreement . . . the city does not want this to go to the Ontario Municipal Board,” said a city official.

The size of the building, about 45-metres high, and its design are “unique” and require a variance, the official added.

With the mayor having promised to bring 10,000 jobs to London, and the city having lost thousands of well-paid jobs during the recent recession, the prospect of a large new employer touching down has sent a buzz through city hall.

“We need jobs,” one city hall source said. “This is exciting news for the city.”

Dr. Oetker has already contacted various businesses in the region to possibly supply the plant.

“This is huge for us and will reverberate across the country that we were able to land it. It shows London is open for business,” said Macartney.

Mayor Joe Fontana and Peter White, chief executive of the London Economic Development Corp., declined comment on details of the agreement.

At $3.5 million, the land for the development sold for about $53,000 an acre.

Oetker will also have future options on about 20 acres of additional land.

Dr. Oetker has its Canadian head office in Mississauga, where it also manufactures baking products under the Shiriff and Added Touch line.

Oetker has been shipping its frozen pizza from Germany but wants to source closer to its growing customer base here, said Kim Saunders of Fleishman-Hillard, Oetker’s public relations firm in Toronto.

“They have been enjoying tremendous growth and are finding more Canadians loving their pizza. Its pizza has been very successful . . . and they are looking at ways to grow the lines,” she said.

“Growth is important to them and they are committed to their pizza line. They are looking at ways to bring their products to Canadian families.”

Melanie Heinrich, manager of business development in Canada for the Canadian-Gemeran Chamber of Industry and Commerce, wasn’t surprised Oetker is looking to add a plant in London.

“I undertand their business is doing well and they are looking in different areas,” to expand, she said. “I know they are looking in Ontario.”

The chamber helps German companies to sell in the Canadian market and fiind distrbution and sales partners.

“We are always happy to see German companies expand here,” Heinrich said.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 1:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

How could there be any problems? Christ, here is a project with jobs and investment. Compare that to the dump receiving Toronto's garbage.

Time to wake up, London.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 1:35 PM

That was my thought as well how in anyway could this be an issue, I have to hope city hall literally slaps some sense into the person attempting to protest this. Not only will the new facility create 500-600 jobs the construction aspect of it will be a huge impact.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 11:20 PM

Doesn't surprise me at all. Look at widening Commissioners & Southdale Rd's, they're being held up because some assholes don't want to sell their land. Always pandering/appeasing a small minority

Hopefully Fontana & Co. steamroll this person, either my changing the zoning or threatening to ruin them in OMB. Sounds like an excellent development and something that 'll bring good jobs to town!

Last edited by Pimpmasterdac; May 30, 2011 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 11:31 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

mmm...German Pizza!

Sounds like a great plan! Came out just as I was beginning to wonder if there was any future for the Innovation Industrial Park.

But I have no idea why this person would be upset about it. It's been planned as a friggen industrial park for several years now!

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 4:14 AM

When I read this article I was so upset! How can anyone be so naive?! As Simpseatles said, the land is already designed for industrial use! How the heck can this person complain about a factory being built in an industrial park?! I really hope the city does what it needs to do to get rid of this person before we loose the opportunity for yet another 500 jobs...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates