HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:26 AM

Well I guess ignore my last post... Here's a news story from today... That was fast, eh?

Quote:
The path may have become clearer Monday for a potentially huge food-processing plant that sources say could bring hundreds of badly needed jobs to London.

A city-hall committee has approved two zoning exceptions that were among conditions on a deal to buy 66 acres of land at Veterans Memorial Parkway and Bradley Ave., just north of Hwy. 401.

City staff presenting the case Monday deftly avoided naming the conditional buyer. But a separate council report, recently published on the city website, says the $3.5-million offer comes from food-manufacturing giant Dr. Oetker.

Sources have told The Free Press the German-based company could bring as many as 500 jobs to London.

At Monday's committee of adjustment meeting, the zoning exceptions, or "variances," were detailed - most notably to allow the building to be built to a height of 45 metres - three times what's normally accepted.

The four-member committee approved the variances.

While no one from the public appeared to object, it's been suggested one nearby resident is irked by the development's dimensions. That person could theoretically appeal Monday's approval to the Ontario Municipal Board.

The significant height allowance did grab the attention of one committee member, former politician Gina Barber, who wondered whether it was indeed a "minor" variance - which is the citizen committee's bailiwick.

"It's really hard to see this as a minor variance. We're going big here," she said of the building that could be roughly the same height as city hall.

But it won't be that high all over, the committee was told.

And John Fleming, city hall's chief planner, said the variance is consistent with the land's intended use.

"Is it going to have a major or minor impact?" should be the question, Fleming said. "Is it going to change the intent of what's laid down by the regulations? Our opinion is no."

Changes to the manufacturing industry - and how factories are designed - may eventually force a permanent change to such height limits in London, Fleming noted.

The committee also approved variances that will allow a setback of 12 m, rather than the required 20 m.

Committee member Maria Mendes said she was "perplexed" the variances were requested with only a "hypothetical developer" presented to them.

Barber made a light-hearted reference to Monday's Free Press report identifying the buyer.

Mark Henderson, the city's director of business liaison, confirmed for the committee there's a "conditional offer on these lands."

Committee member Steve Polhill raised an interesting point - asking whether London Transit has routes extending to what could become a large employer.

They don't, he was told, but such a route is on the city's radar.

Following a brutal recession that cost London thousands of well-paid jobs, and with a renewed political focus on job creation, the potential development has had city hall buzzing for weeks, one source said.
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../18213576.html

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 12:55 PM

^^^ was just going to post that, looks like this is moving along quickly. As the article suggests the variances have been approved which was the height and set back distance. Also no one complained aside from the initial rumblings so hopefully who ever that person was has been "shut up" so to speak.

Not only will this bring well over a thousand jobs from the construction to actual workers, potential new bus routes etc, the actual building sounds like it's going to be very impressive.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 1:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

this is great news for the mfr sector of London. Especially as the Talbotville Ford plant closure looms large on the horizon

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 12:50 PM
Torontonian Refugee

A food-processing plant still sounds like something that provides fairly low-end manufacturing jobs. I would be very happy if we could see more new facilities that produce mechanical or electronic equipment and thus provide jobs that cater to a higher skill set and pay higher wages, but we'll take what we can get, I suppose

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
A food-processing plant still sounds like something that provides fairly low-end manufacturing jobs. I would be very happy if we could see more new facilities that produce mechanical or electronic equipment and thus provide jobs that cater to a higher skill set and pay higher wages, but we'll take what we can get, I suppose
At this point 500 jobs is 500 jobs. I do agree it would be nice to see some more higher end manufacturing/electronics companies set up in London but hopefully seeing that something of this size CAN be built in London it may help attract companies that may have overlooked London in the past because it was just not possible given the old close minded ways or some of the higher ups.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 2:50 PM

Update to the Dr. Oetker plant, seems like it going to happen. Glad to see the city made the variances.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../18385381.html

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 4:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Finally, a glimmer of good news.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 5:49 PM

And that's good that those variances include height. Maybe the plant will change people's perspectives from the 401 about London being a small city...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokkei Mizu View Post
And that's good that those variances include height. Maybe the plant will change people's perspectives from the 401 about London being a small city...
That and it may also bring in other larger commercial that would usually overlook that area because of the restrictions.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London, as seen from the 401, is about as interesting as a stale bag of Lay's potato chips.

What do you got?
-Flying M
-London, Pop 353,000 (expectations grow...but disappointment looms)
-Nestle plant
-Pepsi/Frito lay plant
-Peterbilt
-Uhaul storage
-COSTO!!! Holiday INN EXPRESS!!!
-Penitentiary (missing Tim Best)
-402 JCT.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 5:55 PM
User Registered

At least the widening done in 2008 on the 401 between the 402 and Wellington gave the highway a more 'urban' feel. High mast lighting, collector roads for Wellington, and lighting under the new overpass helped London look a little bigger. Not to mention improved signage and a wider roadway...

The Ministry of Transportation is looking at widening the 401 to 8 lanes between Wellington and Highbury and to 6 lanes between Highways 4 and 402 sometime this decade.

The ultimate cross section for the 401 in London would have 6 lanes coming into the city from Windsor, 8 lanes from Highway 4 to 402, 10 lanes from 402 to Highbury (and possibly to the VMP), and 8 lanes pushing out of London towards the 403.

Guess this belongs in the London Roads section but whatever.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport
London, as seen from the 401, is about as interesting as a stale bag of Lay's potato chips.

What do you got?
-Flying M
-London, Pop 353,000 (expectations grow...but disappointment looms)
-Nestle plant
-Pepsi/Frito lay plant
-Peterbilt
-Uhaul storage
-COSTO!!! Holiday INN EXPRESS!!!
-Penitentiary (missing Tim Best)
-402 JCT.
What about the world's largest Motel 6? heh

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 3:23 PM

I highly doubt that highway 401 would ever be expanded to 10 lanes or even 8 in London, that's just ridiculous, there aren't enough people to justify that many lanes!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I highly doubt that highway 401 would ever be expanded to 10 lanes or even 8 in London, that's just ridiculous, there aren't enough people to justify that many lanes!
Not right now, but in the future traffic levels could warrant it.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 4:47 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
You're right, there are not enough people in London to justify it. However, there are enough people going through the city on the 401 to justify it.

-The new Wellington Road bridge was built to support a 10 lane 401 underneath it, plus two collector lanes currently used as the loop ramps.
-The planned Wonderland Road overpass will be built to span a 8 lane 401.
-The 402 overpass I think can span a tight 8 lane cross section under it.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 8:32 AM
bro

Smile

Some duplexes near Dundas and Ontario across from the Farmer's Market. Apparently they're completely renovating the buildings and converting them into eight upscale lofts:

That hardware store on Dundas that was posted ages ago. I personally think this new facade is pretty fugly, but wudevs, it's density:

Old one for the sake of comparison:

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 12:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^say, that's great news.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 12:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

10 lanes on the 401 in London is unnecessary. Hopefully for ever. Even if London somehow grows to become a teaming metropolis, let's hope that transit and intercity rail options would bear the brunt of the traffic.

You never see 10 lane highways in Tokyo. I've been there.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
10 lanes on the 401 in London is unnecessary. Hopefully for ever. Even if London somehow grows to become a teaming metropolis, let's hope that transit and intercity rail options would bear the brunt of the traffic.

You never see 10 lane highways in Tokyo. I've been there.
Same in Mexico City, supposedly now the world's largest metropolitan area by population. Never saw any highways more than 6 lanes there; their investments are in expanding the subway system. I did see a couple surface streets that were 8 lanes, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

Aren't there some major thoroughfares in Tokyo that are only 2 lanes?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 2:28 AM
The Vomit Bag.

This is a typical Tokyo Expressway. I've been around the city, they all look like this. Tokyo metro is 37 million.

click: http://cl.ly/022R1x3w1l130X3h240X
my photo from september 2010

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates