HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 4:07 PM

London Mall

I heard today that London Mall (Sears outlet store wonderland and oxford) is being demolished to make way for a residential high-rise development. Kelseys would move to wonderland and southdale and sears would probably have little trouble finding another nearly abandoned shopping centre to take up residence in. Oxbury perhaps?

The mall is an eyesore especially since the grocery store left, so this would be a positive change I think.

Let's just hope it's not more commie blocks like across the street.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymac View Post
I heard today that London Mall (Sears outlet store wonderland and oxford) is being demolished to make way for a residential high-rise development. Kelseys would move to wonderland and southdale and sears would probably have little trouble finding another nearly abandoned shopping centre to take up residence in. Oxbury perhaps?

The mall is an eyesore especially since the grocery store left, so this would be a positive change I think.

for now, let's assume it will be commie blocks. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 9:20 PM

Kelsey's likely would find another space to move to in and around there. Why go all the way down to southdale - there's a kelseys nearby there on wellington already.

There's space around there for new construction or to take over another building in and around wonderland/oxford.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 10:03 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

I thought we had a thread for this, but here's the storefront part of that new senior-aimed apartment/retail development on Dundas.

Sorry, not the greatest pic.

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n596/Simpseatles/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 10:13 PM
bro

I've heard a few people worrying about the two floors of balconies above the storefronts. I guess some people think they're going to be filled with trash and crappy bicycles.

But if these Dundas-facing apartments are for seniors as well, I actually think they'll end up looking great. I lived in a mostly seniors building during my first year of college and in the summer almost the entire front of the building had flowers and little shrubs hanging off of the balconies.

It would be neat if that happens at this place as well.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Kelsey's likely would find another space to move to in and around there. Why go all the way down to southdale - there's a kelseys nearby there on wellington already.

There's space around there for new construction or to take over another building in and around wonderland/oxford.
they are building a kelseys at hyde park/fanshawe park.....perhaps that is where this one is going...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 3:18 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

Source?

So funny. I was talking to my wife as we drove home along Oxfart, about how the London Mall would likely be gone within 5 years. That shithole has zero hope as a mall.

Hopefully, not yet another commieblockism for London. But then, that is what defines unwonderland and Oxfart.

what is going to happen to the schmokey bbq joint?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 1:59 PM

Quote:

I want that mall torn down ASAP. I have to wonder where Sears Outlet store would move.

Schmokey BBQ should move into one of the abandoned KFC restaurants in London (which are becoming as common as abandoned Burger Things). The closest one recently became a Money Mart, but there's still Highbury/Cheapside and Byron.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I want that mall torn down ASAP.
I think it's time to get the heritage folks to designate this storied structure a heritage building. After all, it was of the first shopping malls in London! That way this gem can be protected from greedy developers who care none for our history.

Then it will have to be incorporated into any new residential development going in there, in the same way the Armories hotel was done. Imagine a 30 story residential tower shooting up from the centre of the old mall, done to look architecturally the same as the original mall! The possibilities are endless.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 5:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Where will the great canadian chew-chew train move to?

mystery of multiple KFC closings:

Canadian owner of KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell restaurants files for bankruptcy protection.

Priszm Income Fund, which owns more than 231 KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell restaurants in B.C. and Ontario, is under bankruptcy protection following an order from the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, The Vancouver Sun reported. Priszm said in a news release issued this morning that the court filing was made to further its delayed deal to sell its B.C. and Ontario restaurants to a European franchisee of parent comany Yum! Brands. Prizm said the restaurants continue to operate as usual. The release said Prizm has received a number of expressions of interest for its remaining restaurants. In total Prizm owns about 400 outlets in Canada. Vancouver Sun, April 2011

Quote:
Following his buyout in 1964, Colonel Sanders himself expressed anger at such changes, saying:

That friggin' ... outfit .... They prostituted every goddamn thing I had. I had the greatest gravy in the world and those sons of bitches-- they dragged it out and extended it and watered it down that I'm so goddamn mad!
wikipedia

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 6:31 PM

Oxford/Wonderland is a perfect location for high rise residential. It's pretty central, somewhat close to UWO, and at the crossroads of two major London streets.

Let's hope Drewlo don't get their hands on that property or we will be looking at 20 or so 12 storey identical concrete towers.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 6:38 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Reaching new heights on Boler

By Chris Montanini
Updated 1 day ago

When he was asked how certain he was that "Hill 2000" — Boler Mountain's much anticipated expansion — will be ready for December, Greg Strauss, part of the Mountain's management team, said he didn't expect any delays short of an earthquake to prevent the new hill from opening.

Ironically, Strauss was at the top of the new 220 ft. (67m) hill last week when the ripples of a magnitude 5.9 earthquake traveled from Virginia to Southwestern Ontario and shook a few buildings in London.

Skiers and snowboarders need not worry though — the 17 million tons of dirt that make up Boler Mountain's newest ski hill were unmoved by the slight vibrations, and officials there are as excited as ever while infrastructure work continues and the hill is prepared for this winter.

A couple solid seasons, yearly truckloads of dirt, a loan from Royal Bank of Canada and a new chairlift from a defunct hill in Toronto have all contributed to what may mean the end of Boler Mountain's nearly 30-year expansion saga.

"Hill 2000," which will double Boler's ski-able area and add five new runs this season, was originally conceived in the eighties when officials planned to have the expansion built by 2000.

More than 10 years overdue, the management team at the not-for-profit Mountain has dealt with their fair share of critics.

"I think some of us were some of the biggest naysayers too," said Shaun Bonnallie, another management team member. "Until we had a few good years and got some infrastructure going, (then) it started turning into more of a reality."

Although they are later than anticipated, Strauss credits the vision of his predecessors, who began trucking in dirt from Blue-Con Construction nearly 20 years ago for the $5 million project.

"Quite frankly, the bank won't lend you money for dirt," he said. "Finally we were in a position last year when we figured we had enough dirt on property and we set the specific timeline of December 2011."

Towers for the 1,100 ft. (335 m) quad chairlift were installed last week and the new hill is now being connected to hydro service and Boler Mountain's state of the art snow making system.

When it's all done, Boler Mountain will be able to reap the rewards of more than doubling its size this year.

"This is going to be a period of growth," Strauss said. "It's going to mean a wider attraction area. It's going to give families the option to be able to ski a bigger hill, be able to stay closer to home."

One of the new black diamond runs has already been dedicated to Wayne Alexander, a devoted ski instructor who became Boler's ski school director in 1989 and held the position until he lost his battle with cancer in March.

"We actually … met with Wayne in his bed at home and presented him with an official run," Strauss said. "He was definitely the face of skiing in the area. He taught a lot of kids here how to ski."

Boler Mountain has also added new videos and information on their website, and Strauss said web cams streaming the hill's progress from now until its opening should be ready this week.

Boler Mountain's annual Season Pass Drive and Ski Swap is also scheduled for October 23. For more information: www.bolermountain.com

Chris.montanini@sunmedia.ca

Twitter: @YourLondoner

http://www.thelondoner.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=328074

----------------------------------------------------------------

Man, I'm so excited that this is finally going to open this winter!

I've been waiting for this since I was a little kid at Boler. It always seemed so far away.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 8:27 PM

Windsor Guy

4 KFC's mysteriously closed in Windsor last month, but not all of them, I was wondering what happened, thanks for posting that.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 1:37 AM

Several Pizza Hut locations in the London area have also closed in the past couple of years. The Strathroy location suddenly closed in mid-May. To this day the sign outside is still advertising the Mothers Day special.

I think part of the problem KFC is having in Canada is their sky-high prices that have rendered them uncompetitive with other restaurants in the fast food sector. Several weeks ago I went into a KFC for the first time in months when I had a craving for a Big Crunch sandwich. With tax, the sandwich by itself was a few cents short of $7.00. I turned around and walked out.

I don't mind paying almost $7 for a sandwich if it is of a high quality. But, a KFC Big Crunch sandwich is nothing more than a slab of chicken, lettuce, and mayo on a bun. And, the sandwich is definitely smaller now than it was 10 years ago. I can get a higher quality crispy chicken BLT wrap at McDonalds for over a dollar less.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 2:35 AM

My girl says KFC has never tasted the same since they changed the oil they cook the chicken in a few years back. I wouldn't know, it's been that long since I've had their food. I do know that most of their restaurants in Windsor looked old, dated and dirty, same with some Taco Bell locations and that they were owned by the same company so in some ways I'm not that surprised.

I do miss KFC for picnics and things like that.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 4:54 PM

I just had KFC yesterday at Devonshire Mall, and had a Wicked Twister. It was really good, it's almost impossible to find them anymore. I love KFC, I just don't have it often anymore.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2011, 7:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I stopped eating KFC when it was revealed that they were using pigeon and gull meat.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I stopped eating KFC when it was revealed that they were using pigeon and gull meat.
As opposed to what, chicken livers?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 6:32 AM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Not to mention they way they treat their 'actual' chickens. Feed them food designed to make them unable to move so they are more tender, then inject them with fatty solvents.

I stopped eating KFC after Toonie Tuesdays ended.

I can't remember the last day I ate Taco Bell.

I'll eat at Pizza hut once or twice a year to solve my craving for their pan-fried grease pizza.

So I'll doubt I'll miss em if the company goes bankrupt. Also, there's just something wrong about the KFC/Taco Bell location on Wonderland south... Why would you ever want to combine them? Seems so gross...

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
I stopped eating KFC after Toonie Tuesdays ended.
Technically they still have Toonie Tuesdays, but the name is just grandfathered. The same deal that used to be $2 is now almost $3. I suppose they could call it Thoonie Tuesdays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
So I'll doubt I'll miss em if the company goes bankrupt. Also, there's just something wrong about the KFC/Taco Bell location on Wonderland south... Why would you ever want to combine them? Seems so gross...
I have never understood this co-location strategy, even from a marketing standpoint. I don't go to KFC to get Taco Bell food, and I don't go to Taco Bell to get KFC. And they don't even have a combined kitchen, they have two entirely separate kitchens each with their own staff. There's another one of these on Hyde Park Road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates