HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
That was one the best summers we had. I remember it being nice a hot from almost april or may till about September or possibly October.

The weather certainly cooperated that year.
Whoa, selective memory! The first part of the summer was dreadful. I remember seeing my breath in July. It was the latter part of the summer that saved it, with a nearly unbroken streak of good weather from August through October.
http://archives.cbc.ca/society/celeb...s/clips/15494/

There's an interesting article qustioning the long term benefits of Expo:
http://communities.canada.com/vancou...ure-again.aspx
The other "most liveable" world cities like Vienna and Zurich seem to get by without these blow-out mega-events.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
That was one the best summers we had. I remember it being nice a hot from almost april or may till about September or possibly October.

The weather certainly cooperated that year.
i don't have memories as I was just an infant but i still have a tiny scar on the top of my lip from when my dad tripped over someone in the crowd while carrying me. apparently it was in the canada pavilion.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Whoa, selective memory! The first part of the summer was dreadful. I remember seeing my breath in July. It was the latter part of the summer that saved it, with a nearly unbroken streak of good weather from August through October.
Gotta disagree. The summer of '86 was probably the best we've ever seen. A record 58 days of straight sunshine at one point. May 2 (Expo opening day) had dark clouds while Princess Di and Chuck cruised False Creek in Pattison's yacht and oversaw opening ceremonies that evening. The next week/10 days were also cloudy/rainy but then by ~ May 16 things had already turned around to sunshine and we never looked back.

That date, Friday, May 16, 1986 was also opening day for the Coquihalla (Bennett was in Hope for opening ceremonies) as we headed up to Penticton for the May long weekend (an early one that year) and it was sunny and warm.

Thereafter, and right through to Expo closing day on October 13, it was sunny, warm and clear. Can't remember any rain at all and I was down at Expo site almost ever day.

Closing day was also sunny and, as a bonus, Jimmy Pattison signed my Expo Passport.

One of the sunniest and best summers of my life.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 5:50 AM

As I mentioned the really good weather didn't arrive till late July. Eg July 17 high of 12.7, 10 cm of rain:
http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/V...986/718920.htm

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 8:37 PM
BANNED

Remember that I am talking specifically about BC. The events in the title of the thread pertain to past events held in BC only. Of course there have been many other international events held in Canada but I would like discussion to focus on BC.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Yes, and I also know that Shanghai Expo was amazing and attended by 73 million from 250 countries.

On the World stage *now* Canada can not compete with China.
Its difficult to compete with a country who is using the 2008 Summer Olympics and 2010 World Expo to bookend their celebration of 60 years of communism (1949), with no budgetary limits on what they will spend to get noticed and envied by the other nations of the world.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion