HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 11:44 PM

Citykid....Thanks for the great pictures!!! It looks like a perfect day to be out and stroll around downtown lb on a sunny day!!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 7:12 PM

CityKid, thanks for the update... good changes (although slow) coming to Long Beach. I also noticed that there will be a Stout Long Beach coming to the former Aladdin restaurant location. There is an existing Stout Hollywood, so LB will be their second location. Looking forward to Santo Charro!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2011, 2:45 PM

@CityKid:

Great photos. Long Beach is really developing an attractive downtown with sustainable transportation options.

Do you know who the architect is for the bike station? It looks almost exactly like the new Tenley library that opened earlier this year here in DC.

Quote:
Here's the photo of the library I took earlier.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 10:47 PM

Fresh & Easy

Update on the Fresh & Easy on Atlantic at 33rd. The soil remediation appears finished. The parking lots have been paved and the site has been landscaped. However, according to the Cal Heights Neighborhood Association newsletter, the opening is scheduled for September since that is the first opportunity for execs from Tesco (the corporate parent in England) to be here. Apparently they attend all grand openings. (The CHNA newsletter noted that it does not seem sensible to hold up the opening for that reason; it also seems odd that nobody can fly here before then.)

As to the downtown F&E, a friend recently passed by the site near the Wal-Mart and said it looks like the work is complete from the outside, but he did not look in the windows. Perhaps both stores will open in September when the execs are already in LB.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
@CityKid:

Great photos. Long Beach is really developing an attractive downtown with sustainable transportation options.

Do you know who the architect is for the bike station? It looks almost exactly like the new Tenley library that opened earlier this year here in DC.

Here's the photo of the library I took earlier.
According to this article by Bikeable Communities, it was designed by Fernando Vazquez.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paczki View Post
Update on the Fresh & Easy on Atlantic at 33rd. The soil remediation appears finished. The parking lots have been paved and the site has been landscaped. However, according to the Cal Heights Neighborhood Association newsletter, the opening is scheduled for September since that is the first opportunity for execs from Tesco (the corporate parent in England) to be here. Apparently they attend all grand openings. (The CHNA newsletter noted that it does not seem sensible to hold up the opening for that reason; it also seems odd that nobody can fly here before then.)

As to the downtown F&E, a friend recently passed by the site near the Wal-Mart and said it looks like the work is complete from the outside, but he did not look in the windows. Perhaps both stores will open in September when the execs are already in LB.
Awesome! It's funny that they are waiting until September because they are opening their first San Francisco location in just a couple of weeks. Maybe Atlantic Ave store opening would be too late for the London execs? It's also nice to hear that the downtown Fresh & Easy is moving forward after so long.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 9:28 PM
SC made me a hippie

I believe La Creperie DT is now open

Old Posted Jun 17, 2011, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruzGuy View Post
I believe La Creperie DT is now open
Is it?

I passed by on Monday it didn't look open just yet. Although there were people inside looking like they were setting up to open soon.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2011, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLA View Post
Is it?
Yes, it is. Robert Garcia also posted the news in his Facebook feed on Thursday. He's a good friend to have on Facebook.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
Yes, it is. Robert Garcia also posted the news in his Facebook feed on Thursday. He's a good friend to have on Facebook.
I went there for breakfast this past Sunday, it was very nice inside! Re Robert Garcia... he is a complete fraud!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 7:23 PM

Fresh and Easy, La Creperie, Beachwood BBQ etc..

Quote:
Awesome! It's funny that they are waiting until September because they are opening their first San Francisco location in just a couple of weeks. Maybe Atlantic Ave store opening would be too late for the London execs? It's also nice to hear that the downtown Fresh & Easy is moving forward after so long.
1. La Creperie is open yeah!
2. Fresh and Easy is opening around Sept-Nov. They missed the cutoff time in April and apparently corporate won't open until September.
3. Just saw the sign yesterday for Beachwood BBQ woohoo!
4. Sipology Red is supposed to open up in the coming months in the East Village next to Sipology so we'll have another restuarant.
5. There's a corner bakery apparently opening up on the corner of Elm/3rd
6. On 8th and Pine 757 Bakery is opening...she's just working on some permitting.

What else... RDA has a lot of things in the cooker if they don't get abolished....

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:42 PM
SC made me a hippie

Does anyone know why the wood brown/green building on Broadway and Pacific (looks like a business park/offices) is fenced off?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroGuy View Post
I went there for breakfast this past Sunday, it was very nice inside! Re Robert Garcia... he is a complete fraud!
I've got to go to the Creperie the next time I'm in Long Beach.

OT, but how's Robert Garcia a fraud?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 8:31 PM

Quote:
I've got to go to the Creperie the next time I'm in Long Beach.
My wife and I went last night service was good I found the staff a bit friendlier than the one on 2nd Street. You must sit outside when you go good for people watching. Although it was a bit chilly but the heaters were on.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 5:25 PM
SC made me a hippie

La Creperie on 2nd was my favorite restaurant in LB, and now my heart has gone to the in DT. I love the atmosphere in the new restaurant, the food is very good, you have walking and eating space(not so much room in the Belmont location), and the staff is great. I had a talk with the manager, and he said that they are not done decorating the restaurant. They are going to add more in the next few days...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruzGuy View Post
Does anyone know why the wood brown/green building on Broadway and Pacific (looks like a business park/offices) is fenced off?
This is the former State of California building which housed many state agencies. When I came to LB in 1984 it was already there; I think it was built in the 70s. In the late 80s/early 90s there were many claims of "sick building" syndrome. The building originally was all exposed wood with no paint; but apparently the chemicals with which the wood was treated gave off fumes leading to illness. So the building was then vacant for a long time; perhaps 10 years. It was bought for a discounted price and the owner sealed the wood by painting over it. Then it was leased out. I don't know why it is now vacant again; don't know if it is the same problem or something different. Also, the only parking is the very small lot next to the building at the corner of 3rd and Pacific; I think that, as a state building, it was exempt from parking requirements.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 4:27 AM

4th Street Deli

By the way, one of the true gems of Downtown is 4th Street Deli. The owner is very nice and the food is quality. He serves Breakfast now as well.. and has good desserts on top of his main food. This is a mom and pop shop that in my opinion deserves our support!!!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 9:03 PM

I haven't been able to get over to the Senior Arts Colony being built on Anaheim and Long Beach Blvd during my shorter visits to Long Beach. However, I did find that they have webcam of the construction site posted on their website. You can even control the direction that the webcam faces. It's pretty cool.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2011, 2:50 PM

New Chase Bank

I just saw on the Long Beach Development website that the old Blockbuster Video store at 940 Long Beach Blvd is being turned into a new Chase Bank which I think is great! If I can get some pictures I will post them.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 9:58 PM

Fresh & Easy

The F&E in the 3300 block of Atlantic now has a banner proclaiming that it will open on September 14.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West