HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:01 PM
smArTaLlone smArTaLlone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,433
MIDTOWN | Colony Square Renovation | 220,000 SF retail

  • North American Properties is seeking a specialty market, boutique theater, curated restaurant concepts and flagship retail to fill the retail space. A grand opening is planned for July 2018 on the 50th anniversary of Colony Square breaking ground.
  • A second phase of the renovation will include a new tower. Whether the tower will be office, hotel or residential has yet to be determined.













Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 12:17 PM
bigstick's Avatar
bigstick bigstick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: 30327
Posts: 539
This should have been done years ago.......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:53 PM
Atlanta3000's Avatar
Atlanta3000 Atlanta3000 is offline
Urban Cowboy
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Buckhead
Posts: 915
This project is incredible, but my one fear is North American Properties said it will be developed in phases. Has anyone heard exactly how many phases and timeline?

The one thing Midtown has been lacking with respect to retail is scale (meaning multiple retail stores in close proximity to each other). We saw this at 12th & Midtown and more specifically with CB2. With retail you don't necessarily have to have a huge population within walking distance for it to be successful - you just need a lot of it to create a destination. Look at Avalon in Alpharetta. I have neighbors in Buckhead who drive up to Alpharetta for the same damn stores we have here in Buckhead.
__________________
Dang!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:28 PM
jwbab jwbab is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
This project is incredible, but my one fear is North American Properties said it will be developed in phases. Has anyone heard exactly how many phases and timeline?
This is my rough recollection of what NAP said at the Midtown DRC meeting about the order they would do it:

1. Build out the retail on the 100 building and the streetscape from about Juniper around to the parking down ramp on Peachtree Street.

2. Build out the retail on the 400 building and remainder of streetscape up around 15th St.

3. Whenever they can get the 4-5 big retail tenants they are negotiating with to sign leases, they will begin on the retail portion behind the 100 and 400 buildings & taking the roof off to create the open-air plaza in the middle.

4. Build new retail out in the northern part of the site, with longer term plans to build a new tower on 15th Street. They have not decided whether the tower will be office, hotel, etc..

They said steps one and two above are technically in the same "phase" but they have to do them one at a time in order to minimize the impact on the existing restaurants operating currently in the buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:24 PM
Street Advocate Street Advocate is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 695
Maybe it's because I haven't eaten lunch yet, but I'm starting to drool at all of the retail and restaurants coming to Midtown. Alta Midtown, Crescent revamping, the Canteen, Caraveca Market @ Trace Midtown, and Colony Square... seems like Midtown may be in store for an influx of better quality and unique restaurants. Here's hoping, at least.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:02 PM
smArTaLlone smArTaLlone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,433
They are definitely seeking to bring some of the top local chefs and restaurateurs to Colony Square.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
This is my rough recollection of what NAP said at the Midtown DRC meeting about the order they would do it:

1. Build out the retail on the 100 building and the streetscape from about Juniper around to the parking down ramp on Peachtree Street.

2. Build out the retail on the 400 building and remainder of streetscape up around 15th St.

3. Whenever they can get the 4-5 big retail tenants they are negotiating with to sign leases, they will begin on the retail portion behind the 100 and 400 buildings & taking the roof off to create the open-air plaza in the middle.

4. Build new retail out in the northern part of the site, with longer term plans to build a new tower on 15th Street. They have not decided whether the tower will be office, hotel, etc..

They said steps one and two above are technically in the same "phase" but they have to do them one at a time in order to minimize the impact on the existing restaurants operating currently in the buildings.
Thanks for the info

It's notable that they have move beyond "interest" to negotiation with several potential tenants.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 7:40 PM
atlantaguy's Avatar
atlantaguy atlantaguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Area code 404
Posts: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Maybe it's because I haven't eaten lunch yet, but I'm starting to drool at all of the retail and restaurants coming to Midtown. Alta Midtown, Crescent revamping, the Canteen, Caraveca Market @ Trace Midtown, and Colony Square... seems like Midtown may be in store for an influx of better quality and unique restaurants. Here's hoping, at least.
We know NAP has been in talks with Mario Batali to bring Eataly to Colony Square, but it's certainly not official.

Thought I would share renderings of their first West Coast location. They are part of the massive $800 million reno of Westfield Century City: http://la.racked.com/2015/6/16/87863...ity-renovation
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 10:58 PM
smArTaLlone smArTaLlone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,433
DRC recap

Colony Square Renovation

Quote:
North American Properties unveiled its proposed renovations to the existing mixed-use development at 1197 Peachtree Street, which will be executed in multiple phases. Major components of the project include installation of new two-story store fronts at the existing 100 and 400 office towers, removal of the existing mall roof and reconstruction of the retail experience, and a proposed new building at the northern portion of the site as the last phase.

Ultimately, this project has the opportunity to substantially enhance the pedestrian experience and energize storefront retail along Midtown's signature street. The reconfigured site plan proposes the removal of the Peachtree drop-off lane, enhanced pedestrian access into the interior retail area, on-street parking, and vehicular access improvements at the existing driveways. The committee recommended conditional approval for this project and requested additional information on components such as retail design, a right-of-way swap with City of Atlanta, and the feasibility of proposed traffic calming solutions as the project moves forward. 
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 11:57 AM
smArTaLlone smArTaLlone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,433
These renderings show the final phase - the new tower. This is also where the potential Apple store would be located.





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 11:36 PM
smArTaLlone smArTaLlone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,433
Colony Square To Temporarily Feature 12 Artists

Selected By Hambidge Creative

The 12 artists selected will move into their spaces immediately, and the installations will be open for public interaction from April 1 to June 3.

http://patch.com/georgia/southcobb/s...tm_content=aol
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.