HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10221  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 9:33 PM
gymratmanaz gymratmanaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,421
Any educated height guesses with those square footage estimates????
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10222  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 9:52 PM
biggus diggus biggus diggus is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 696
Probably not that tall considering the amount of land. First Phoenix LLC owns all of the parcels I circled in orange.

__________________
Please excuse the brevity, auto corrected words, and occasionally incoherent sentences as I'm usually posting from my phone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10223  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 9:56 PM
airomero83 airomero83 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Probably not that tall considering the amount of land. First Phoenix LLC owns all of the parcels I circled in orange.

That sucks, I liked the McKinley Club...cool little building plus hosts cool community events. The other building is what used to house Phoenix Pride and now sits vacant right??
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10224  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 10:03 PM
biggus diggus biggus diggus is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 696
Yes, it has a "Available" sign out front.
__________________
Please excuse the brevity, auto corrected words, and occasionally incoherent sentences as I'm usually posting from my phone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10225  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:13 PM
PHXFlyer11 PHXFlyer11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 853
Second Grocery Store & Highrise on McKinley Proposed

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...enix-real.html

Duplicate. Missed this from From. Sorry for the repost.

Last edited by PHXFlyer11; Mar 20, 2017 at 7:49 PM. Reason: Duplicate Post - Already reported
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10226  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:13 PM
biggus diggus biggus diggus is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 696
Things are moving today at both the Stewart and the Derby sites
__________________
Please excuse the brevity, auto corrected words, and occasionally incoherent sentences as I'm usually posting from my phone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10227  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:47 PM
PHXFlyer11 PHXFlyer11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Things are moving today at both the Stewart and the Derby sites
Beautiful!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10228  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 10:15 PM
RonnieFoos RonnieFoos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Things are moving today at both the Stewart and the Derby sites
Awesome

I took quite a few spins around Downtown over the weekend. Stewart and Derby (along with the new Banner Tower) are going to make a serious dent in the Phoenix skyline.

Add to that, if the 2 proposed towers at AZ Center add even somewhat-decent height along with the Park Central Residential Tower, Fry's and Barrister...Phoenix is going to look amazing in 2 years. I mean we're talking roughly what...6 to 8 new towers in the 20 story range??
__________________
Ronnie Garrett
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?memberID=205
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10229  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 10:46 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Awesome

I took quite a few spins around Downtown over the weekend. Stewart and Derby (along with the new Banner Tower) are going to make a serious dent in the Phoenix skyline.

Add to that, if the 2 proposed towers at AZ Center add even somewhat-decent height along with the Park Central Residential Tower, Fry's and Barrister...Phoenix is going to look amazing in 2 years. I mean we're talking roughly what...6 to 8 new towers in the 20 story range??
Its roughly a doubling of the downtown core, and keep in mind we already doubled it from 2005-2009
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10230  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 12:39 AM
muertecaza muertecaza is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 427
City is RFP'ing this lot at 814 N. 5th Ave:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4573...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.phoenix.gov/cityclerksit...enda-FINAL.pdf

I remember reading that the Teapot owners weren't pleased about being next to the vacant lot. Good to see another one (hopefully) bite the dust.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10231  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:03 AM
biggus diggus biggus diggus is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 696
That place still exists?
__________________
Please excuse the brevity, auto corrected words, and occasionally incoherent sentences as I'm usually posting from my phone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10232  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:07 AM
Spitfiredude Spitfiredude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 241
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...hood/99233140/

Interesting read. I've lived at 3 stops along the light rail. Each within 1500 feet of my front door. The only problem I had was at my Maryland / 19th Ave residence. Other 2 were in Tempe. Although, I knew that the area was a bad area & my apartment was also robbed twice before I gave up. The really rough part ended around Glendale Avenue. I rode the light rail everyday end to end in 2010-11 for work. I'll admit anything above midtown starts getting rough, so it wouldn't surprise me if that has carried that traffic to Dunlap. The article does mention that the Phoenix LR is a unique system that doesn't have meters to prevent riders without tickets riding. Hopefully this won't limit expansion. Although, I respect citizens & businesses (along the corridor) opinions.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10233  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 10:01 AM
exit2lef exit2lef is offline
self-important urbanista
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...hood/99233140/

Interesting read. I've lived at 3 stops along the light rail. Each within 1500 feet of my front door. The only problem I had was at my Maryland / 19th Ave residence. Other 2 were in Tempe. Although, I knew that the area was a bad area & my apartment was also robbed twice before I gave up. The really rough part ended around Glendale Avenue. I rode the light rail everyday end to end in 2010-11 for work. I'll admit anything above midtown starts getting rough, so it wouldn't surprise me if that has carried that traffic to Dunlap. The article does mention that the Phoenix LR is a unique system that doesn't have meters to prevent riders without tickets riding. Hopefully this won't limit expansion. Although, I respect citizens & businesses (along the corridor) opinions.
The article describes our light rail as an "open system," but it does not claim that Phoenix is alone in this practice. Phoenix is hardly unique in terms of relying of a proof-of-payment system for fare compliance. In fact, the majority of US rail transit systems use proof-of-payment. It's only a small number of systems, most of them heavy rail instead of light rail, that use turnstiles or other hard station infrastructure for fare enforcement. Around the world, even some heavy rail systems such as Berlin rely on proof-of-payment.

As for the issue of crime on 19th Avenue, I have always considered that corridor one where caution is needed. Some of the nearby residential neighborhoods (e.g. Royal Palm) are very nice, but the strip malls right along 19th have always seemed to attract transients and loiterers despite having some good tenants (e.g. Bookmans and Sprouts at 19th Ave / Northern). I don't think light rail changed that -- except maybe at 19th Ave / Dunlap, which is where most of the complaints in the article seem to be concentrated.

Maybe the situation will improve when the terminus is moved to MetroCenter in a few years. Despite its struggles, MetroCenter has more activity, more destinations, and more bus connections. That might not make a difference in terms of serious criminals, but it could reduce the number of marginal people wandering in residential neighborhoods or panhandling outside QuikTrip because they've taken the train to the end of the line and don't have somewhere appropriate to go or something appropriate to do next.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10234  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 1:40 PM
biggus diggus biggus diggus is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 696
As far as I'm concerned, as a native Phoenician, this is not only your opinion, it is fact:

"As for the issue of crime on 19th Avenue, I have always considered that corridor one where caution is needed."
__________________
Please excuse the brevity, auto corrected words, and occasionally incoherent sentences as I'm usually posting from my phone.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10235  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:33 PM
PHXFlyer11 PHXFlyer11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
As far as I'm concerned, as a native Phoenician, this is not only your opinion, it is fact:

"As for the issue of crime on 19th Avenue, I have always considered that corridor one where caution is needed."
I'd say once you get west of 7th avenue in general for a few miles. I literally hate driving that direction at night. Nearly everytime someone is high walking down the middle of Indian School at night, or jumps off the sidewalk into the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10236  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:26 PM
soled soled is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
The area has had some rough element since the late 80's-early 90's, but all anyone has to do is talk to the firemen at the stations in that first due, as well PD and they'll find out how much and what type the call load has increased because of the light rail. It's completely changed the working environment for public safety and I can say first hand it is a direct result of the light rail.

Not knocking light rail-just passing along some inside baseball.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10237  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:20 AM
RichTempe's Avatar
RichTempe RichTempe is offline
907to480
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
The area has had some rough element since the late 80's-early 90's, but all anyone has to do is talk to the firemen at the stations in that first due, as well PD and they'll find out how much and what type the call load has increased because of the light rail. It's completely changed the working environment for public safety and I can say first hand it is a direct result of the light rail.

Not knocking light rail-just passing along some inside baseball.
That might be your opinion, but the article specifically mentions:

"Their concerns aren't reflected in the Phoenix Police Department's dispatched calls for service in the surrounding area, which show nearly negligible increases since the light rail started running."

So while you personally may have seen an increase, it has not been reflected by the statistics.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10238  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 11:31 AM
soled soled is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
That might be your opinion, but the article specifically mentions:

"Their concerns aren't reflected in the Phoenix Police Department's dispatched calls for service in the surrounding area, which show nearly negligible increases since the light rail started running."

So while you personally may have seen an increase, it has not been reflected by the statistics.
It's not my opinion on fire department responses. The call load related to light rail has increased, period. It's a fact. If I'm responding to calls and citizens I've never responded to in the past, and now doing it at a high volume on a daily basis, it's a pretty obvious thing to notice.

Think of it this way, if a particular type of call has increased, yet calls as a whole have not increased in that area, that would tell us that other type calls have tailed off, right(and this ebb and flow occurs for a variety of reasons throughout the Valley)?

Another example of increased load would be the fire station in the first due of the Washington and 44th St connection to the Sky Train. Their call load in relation to that stop has increased dramatically. And it came at a poor time because that station used to house two trucks, but one was used to open a station in north Phoenix a few years ago. Now just one truck handles that increased load.

I've been doing this 3 decades, so I know how Phoenix has changed at the street level. I can't speak to whatever they've published in this article, nor how much politics may be behind what's bled out, but PD on the street tells me repeatedly the same thing has happened for them. And because they go on much of the same calls as us it's easy to see it firsthand, too.

Last edited by soled; Mar 23, 2017 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10239  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:35 PM
PHXFlyer11 PHXFlyer11 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 853
TGen Building Sold for $71M

I am keeping my eye on this, as proceeds could be used towards a new Suns arena...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10240  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:42 PM
airomero83 airomero83 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I am keeping my eye on this, as proceeds could be used towards a new Suns arena...
Definitely. The Grand Sheraton sale is still on-going as well IIRC
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:58 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.