HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Well, it depends on your definition of downtown. The strict definition is just the CBD. which is a very narrow area consisting of N Temple to 400 S, 400 W to 200 E.

As someone who grew up in the suburbs, we always considered a larger area to be downtown.... at least 300 N to 700 S and 600 W to 900 E.
I've always felt that way too. As the residential and commercial buildup continues, it won't be long before the much larger area will feel like a verifiable downtown to everyone.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
Interesting article.

"Salt Lake's downtown population was '5000' in 2010 and should be more than double by 2022."

5000???

I am sorry, but downtown should have a population of 50,000+ right now.

If it takes time to get there, ok, but hopefully not too much. It is no wonder SLC has struggled for so long. It is nice to see some positive change.
5,000k isn't too bad actually. 50,000 would put SLC as one the largest populated downtowns in the country.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 8:28 PM
One Thing At A Time

As far as being excited about development in our city, trust me I am. When they break ground on the CCH and regent street I will walk by the site multiple times a week to check out the progress like I did with 111/Regent/Eccles. I have season tickets to the Eccles theatre and I think it's the cats pajamas. Can't wait to see Hamilton next season *cheers*

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
To view another mediocre photo update of various developments near downtown, click the button!

I've been hearing ads on the radio lately for the '600 Lofts' which I believe is the 616 S State Street project, and they're opening this April. The building doesn't look close to finished yet, but I suppose maybe some units are ready for move on while they finish it?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:42 PM

Here are a couple photos I snapped last Friday of the AC Marriot and adjacent apartment project.

[IMG] by , on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:55 PM

Hmmm...I'm not going to fall into this city comparison trap, but I will answer a question posed earlier regarding the 600 Lofts project. The project is definitely not going to be completed by April but large scale residential projects can get occupancy on those portions that are completed and liveable. I'm not sure I would want to live in the midst of an active construction site but it can be done.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 8:08 PM

Yimby infill post

Ive been thinking about the cities public transportation plan. it seems to me that we will need new developments on or near the intersection of 15-minute lines in order to support them. "Public transportation support nodes". One such intersection in my neck of the woods is 1700 South and 500 East. Currently on that intersection there is a single floor office building with a quite large setback, an Arctic Circle, and a 7-11 that really couldn't be further from the curb. There is a public alleyway between the 7-11 and the Arctic Circle.

I would like to see all of that replaced with development that comes up to the sidewalk saving the alleyway access. Two stories residential (perhaps 3 with a rear setback) over ground floor office/neighborhood retail with rear parking and some 45 degree parking stalls on Park st.

Asking too much?

Last edited by Liberty Wellsian; Mar 20, 2017 at 8:59 PM. Reason: I meant Park Street not 600 East

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 8:38 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
Yimby infill post

Ive been thinking about the cities public transportation plan. it seems to me that we will need new developments on or near the intersection of 15-minute lines in order to support them. "Public transportation support nodes". One such intersection in my neck of the woods is 1700 South and 500 East. Currently on that intersection there is a single floor office building with a quite large setback, an Arctic Circle, and a 7-11 that really couldn't be further from the curb. There is a public alleyway between the 7-11 and the Arctic Circle.

I would like to see all of that replaced with development that comes up to the sidewalk saving the alleyway access. Two stories residential (perhaps 3 with a rear setback) over ground floor office/neighborhood retail with rear parking and some 45 degree parking stalls on 600 east.

Asking too much?
I think that's an ideal location for some infill, and that proposed infill is great, IMO. With no gas pumps that 7-11 does not need a parking lot, maybe a few street spaces is all.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I think that's an ideal location for some infill, and that proposed infill is great, IMO. With no gas pumps that 7-11 does not need a parking lot, maybe a few street spaces is all.
Agreed. All three of those properties are mostly parking lot and grass, it seems like a colossal waste to me.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 10:49 PM

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:52 AM

I would like to see this project reduced by 1 floor on the east side and increased by 2 on the west.

4 story podium rooftop garden to the east and 5 wood floors on the west.

From 3rd west, 9 story- 4 story- single family

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:54 PM

Test

Test. Uhoh

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:36 PM

Gateway Update

I was at Gateway over the weekend and noticed a few changes. The food court is all but closed and demolition is under way of the tenant space I have a friend that manages a store at the mall and said that the owners have said this is where Dave and Busters will be located.

Panda Express is the only remaining space in the food court. and is surrounded by temporary walls and construction. Panda is moving to the old Wing Nutz location on the corner of 200 S and Rio Grande St.

I also saw a couple building permits associated with the mall. First one to add Video screens on the Clock tower.

There is also a demo permit for the non structural interior of the Dicks Sporting Goods Store. What I found odd is that the Owner of the building is listed as the "Gateway Block B Condominium Owners Association."

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 7:22 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurrow View Post
I was at Gateway over the weekend and noticed a few changes. The food court is all but closed and demolition is under way of the tenant space I have a friend that manages a store at the mall and said that the owners have said this is where Dave and Busters will be located.

Panda Express is the only remaining space in the food court. and is surrounded by temporary walls and construction. Panda is moving to the old Wing Nutz location on the corner of 200 S and Rio Grande St.

I also saw a couple building permits associated with the mall. First one to add Video screens on the Clock tower.

There is also a demo permit for the non structural interior of the Dicks Sporting Goods Store. What I found odd is that the Owner of the building is listed as the "Gateway Block B Condominium Owners Association."
Interesting that your friend claims that Dave and Busters is going into the food court space. I hope that is the case. However from my understanding Dave and Busters was interested in entering the market 6 or 7 years back but weren't willing to change the layout of their space with the bar right in the middle of the dinning floor, in accordance with the Zion Curtain law. Yes I realize that the legislature voted to repeal it, but I am not sure if that is the same bill reducing BAC to .05, the Governor has yet to sign or veto that bill. What I am saying is, if D & B's isn't willing to change their concept then they wouldn't be committed to coming yet. Again I hope they are coming, just sharing some information.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:00 PM

A developer friend of mine claimed Vasilios Priskos is the new owner of the Alsco building property at 200 South and West Temple. Since I don't consider this to be reliable info, have any of you in the know heard this?

I've noticed Alsco is moving into a building at 500 East and 200 South (the building is currently undergoing a renovation), though I doubt it's big enough to be a replacement for their headquarters.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barack Obama View Post
A developer friend of mine claimed Vasilios Priskos is the new owner of the Alsco building property at 200 South and West Temple. Since I don't consider this to be reliable info, have any of you in the know heard this?

I've noticed Alsco is moving into a building at 500 East and 200 South (the building is currently undergoing a renovation), though I doubt it's big enough to be a replacement for their headquarters.
Alsco is moving into the old Washington Federal Bank building, which they purchased, and doing significant construction on the building right now. The 175 South West Temple building is still owned by Stoltz, not VP.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:12 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I would be fine with him tearing down the Alsco building, as opposed to the buildings on 100 S. The Alsco building is very nondescript and is a highly under utilized corner.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:46 PM

Quote:
I would be fine with him tearing down the Alsco building, as opposed to the buildings on 100 S. The Alsco building is very nondescript and is a highly under utilized corner.
I agree. That would be much more appropriate than tearing down the historic structures on 100 S.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:46 PM

Quote:

While I do agree with this, the lot size isn't big enough for the CCH.

I would really hate to see a combined lot running from 115 South to 200 South hosting the CCH. That size would be big enough but it would also mean a very short CCH. It may also cause problems for accessing the Benihana/Blue Iguana with only the entry along 2nd South, it would become forgotten quickly

I would rather them leave the buildings on 1st South and build over Kilowatt park. That is roughly 1/2 the block length if not just over. Allow parking to be accessed from parking ramps on West Temple (similar to CCC). This could allow for a landscaped median and an upgraded midblock crossing.

They could put the parking under the APS land and the current open space. Killowatt park can be built over with supports going down so it wouldn't need to be excavated (possibly saving relocation costs), just provide access to the equipment from behind the CCH or via the underground parking structure and create a N/S walkway behind the CCH through to the Zion Parking lot where it could be continued to the current midblock crossing on 1st South.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 10:42 PM

I don't think this has been posted yet, this is what's going up 380 s 400 e "Block 44"

http://www.liveatblock44.com/

--

Last edited by JMK; Mar 21, 2017 at 10:57 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West