HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #12521  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 7:20 PM
Boatguy619 Boatguy619 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy619 View Post
Pacific gate is almost topped out, I'll take pix next time I'm downtown but the spiral roof is pretty distinct now. Just curious if there's any lighting features? all the other buildings along the bayfront are lit up at night
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12522  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 8:04 PM
ChargerCarl's Avatar
ChargerCarl ChargerCarl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Los Angeles/San Francisco
Posts: 1,782
The street is too damn wide!
__________________
This Machine Kills NIMBYs
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12523  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 11:33 PM
HurricaneHugo's Avatar
HurricaneHugo HurricaneHugo is offline
Category Five
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,688
That's a nice looking building!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12524  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 12:29 AM
atlwarrior atlwarrior is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy619 View Post
Nice! How many stories?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12525  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:04 PM
SDFC SDFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 6
Navy Broadway Complex - Is it really happening?!

"Turner Construction has been chosen as the builder due to their extensive experience and success on large and complex projects around the country. They are in the final stages of planning and permits and plan to begin the project in July of 2017 with a six month demolition period. During this phase, the Navy will still operate in it’s present location, adding to the complexity and expert scheduling required on the project. Excavation and grading is projected to begin in January 2018. As the new underground parking structure is begun, the structural support for the taller buildings will start simultaneously."

http://www.coronadonewsca.com/news/c...2e3792282.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12526  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:09 AM
JerellO JerellO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFC View Post
Navy Broadway Complex - Is it really happening?!

"Turner Construction has been chosen as the builder due to their extensive experience and success on large and complex projects around the country. They are in the final stages of planning and permits and plan to begin the project in July of 2017 with a six month demolition period. During this phase, the Navy will still operate in it’s present location, adding to the complexity and expert scheduling required on the project. Excavation and grading is projected to begin in January 2018. As the new underground parking structure is begun, the structural support for the taller buildings will start simultaneously."

http://www.coronadonewsca.com/news/c...2e3792282.html
I hope this really does happen now... I used to work at that place lol... a new facility would be awesome.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12527  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 8:29 PM
Streamliner's Avatar
Streamliner Streamliner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 205
I was also downtown today and got some pictures of Pacific Gate from the waterfront park.







Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12528  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 8:57 PM
Derek's Avatar
Derek Derek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,172
Is the park open or....?


It looks like such a beautiful day and not a single soul is hanging out in the park. We have more people hanging out in parks on rainy 40 degree days here in Portland.
__________________
Portlandia
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12529  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:02 PM
Streamliner's Avatar
Streamliner Streamliner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Is the park open or....?


It looks like such a beautiful day and not a single soul is hanging out in the park. We have more people hanging out in parks on rainy 40 degree days here in Portland.
It was a bit dead, but this was probably 9:30 in the morning and the fountains were off. There were children on the playgrounds nearby. I went last week around lunchtime and it was packed with people.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12530  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:09 PM
Derek's Avatar
Derek Derek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
It was a bit dead, but this was probably 9:30 in the morning and the fountains were off. There were children on the playgrounds nearby. I went last week around lunchtime and it was packed with people.
Phew. I was thinking it was noontime based on the time you posted.
__________________
Portlandia
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12531  
Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 11:56 PM
JerellO JerellO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 75
Anyone know the current designs for Manchester Pacific gateway?? I noticed one looks more Art Deco and the other looks like they took more Art Deco details away
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12532  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:39 AM
The Flying Dutchman The Flying Dutchman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 129
It's a little thing, but those reflections on Pacific Gate are pretty darn sexy.
__________________
"A good walker does not rise dust" -Zen proverb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12533  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:34 AM
SLO's Avatar
SLO SLO is offline
Kiwi
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arroyo Grande, California
Posts: 5,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
The street is too damn wide!
Yeah I was downtown today and thinking that.
__________________
He said he'd cure your ills, but he didn't and he never will
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12534  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 5:17 AM
dtell04 dtell04 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 83
https://fee.org/articles/how-spontan...on-affordable/

This is worth a read. Talk about polar opposite.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12535  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:39 AM
The Flying Dutchman The Flying Dutchman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtell04 View Post
https://fee.org/articles/how-spontan...on-affordable/

This is worth a read. Talk about polar opposite.
Thanks for this. There's definitely an argument to be made for having regulations in place (CA) vs. a more relaxed environment (Houston). I've seen the pros and cons to both. Best read I've had all week.
__________________
"A good walker does not rise dust" -Zen proverb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12536  
Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:45 PM
spoonman's Avatar
spoonman spoonman is offline
SD/OC
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
The street is too damn wide!
True, but that street (PCH) is wide because it used to be a "highway" before the 5 Freeway was built in the early 60's.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12537  
Old Posted Yesterday, 12:00 AM
PadreHomer PadreHomer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArquitectoMontenegro View Post
http://responsibilityfoundation.org/news/




This project was in City Beat recently, I guess San Diego is considered a front runner as the host city for this statue. It is conceived as a national bookend to the Statue of Liberty--a west coast statue symbolizing the responsibility that comes with liberty. The concept seems to be decades in the making, but seems very timely considering the current administration in the white house seems hellbent on closing borders and this Statue of Responsibility aims to symbolize empathy, assistance, etc. San Diego would also be a great location given its geographical proximity to the busiest border crossing in the world. From the rendering it looks like Coronado Island would be its home if it were to be constructed in San Diego, which I think is appropriate. There's a smaller scale replica of the statue at some university in Utah.
Oh god kill it with fire
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12538  
Old Posted Yesterday, 4:47 AM
SDCAL SDCAL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtell04 View Post
https://fee.org/articles/how-spontan...on-affordable/

This is worth a read. Talk about polar opposite.
It's an opinion piece that leaves out a lot of complex reasons for differing regulation and planning styles across cities. I mean comparing Houston and SF? One has room to sprawl and the other is confined to a small peninsula. A lot of housing costs comes from desirability to live in certain places. Many more people would find coastal CA more desirable than humid, swampy Houston. That alone will make prices higher here. I just don't buy the notion that cities like SF could follow the "Houston model" and cure all their problems. Seems like a naive piece.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12539  
Old Posted Yesterday, 4:56 AM
The Flying Dutchman The Flying Dutchman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCAL View Post
It's an opinion piece that leaves out a lot of complex reasons for differing regulation and planning styles across cities. I mean comparing Houston and SF? One has room to sprawl and the other is confined to a small peninsula. A lot of housing costs comes from desirability to live in certain places. Many more people would find coastal CA more desirable than humid, swampy Houston. That alone will make prices higher here. I just don't buy the notion that cities like SF could follow the "Houston model" and cure all their problems. Seems like a naive piece.
While I agree with you 100%, it's been proven that ~50% of housing costs in CA come from regulations. The rest, as you mentioned, likely comes from desirability and supply, etc. SF, even though is constrained by geographical realities, is still by and large zoned for the SFH, downtown excepted. It's interesting that both approaches (SF vs. Houston) *still* lead to sprawl, one being driven by high costs of development, and the other by cheap land. Maybe this tells us that no matter what, there will be demand for the typical suburban home but that we *should* be building much more density in key areas than we currently are. At least Houston makes this easier to do.
__________________
"A good walker does not rise dust" -Zen proverb
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12540  
Old Posted Yesterday, 2:47 PM
eburress's Avatar
eburress eburress is offline
Listomatic on iTunes
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by PadreHomer View Post
Oh god kill it with fire
For real! That's the worst of a long line of these horrible proposals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:45 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.