HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Kapuskasing and Kuala Lumpur. Been at each others' necks for decades.
Can't we try and keep Kapuskasing out of this one?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
NYC-Boston. NYC-Chicago. LA-SF. Miami-Tampa. Philly-Pittsburgh. Dallas-Houston. St.L-K.C. Memphis-Nashville. Toronto-Montreal. Seattle-Portland. OKC-Tulsa. Cleveland-Cincinatti. Berlin-Munich. Moscow-St. Petersburg. Rome-Milan. Madrid-Barcelona. Rio-Sao Paulo. Glasgow-Edinburgh. Cape Town-Johannasburg etc. etc. Have I left any out?

I believe many start because an upstart (like LA or Sao Paulo or K.C.) comes along and tries to take the crown from an older primary city (SF or Rio or St. Louis). The older city gets resentful. I think city rivalries are a good thing, and inspire the cities to improve to keep up with the rivals. Some are sports based. Boston-NYC comes to mind, since NYC is so much bigger (although Boston has arguably the better universities).

This thread is NOT intended to be a "city-vs city" thing. I just want to understand the origin of rivalries. Economic? Sports related? Envy?
I've never heard of a Miami vs. Tampa rivalry. In fact Miami vs. any other Florida city is really non existent since it's almost double the size of any other metro in the state.
Maybe Miami vs. Atlanta ?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 11:40 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Cities can be rivals even if one is larger and/or more globally important than the other. Not only in sports but in things like cuisine, pizza, who has the hottest women, who has the best nightlife, better cityscape, happier people, which is more beautiful, etc etc.

The Chicago-NY rivalry lives in, for example because even though NY is clearly the more important city, some things that Chicago has going well for it can't help but rile up the "Rah rah rah we're #1!" crowd among New Yorkers.

Same would go with countless other city rivalries
the only thing i ever hear about chicago from new yorkers relating to any kind of rivalry or relationship is that joke about how new york winter weather wasn't shitty enough so they built chicago.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 12:06 PM

For NYC, it's definitely LA domestically. The yin and the yang. LA is the only domestic city where, if you're a professional and move there, the first response isn't "Why?".

Other domestic rivalries: Dallas and Houston, St. Louis and KC, Cleveland and Pittsburgh, LA and SF, maybe Seattle and Portland?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
For NYC, it's definitely LA domestically. The yin and the yang. LA is the only domestic city where, if you're a professional and move there, the first response isn't "Why?".
not sure what you mean by that. i have literally heard people ask aquaintances why the hell they moved to la (from new york) instead of say seattle. i don't mean that as a slight against los angeles. more to do with opportunities, compact living, or whatever other things middle class new yorkers often value. if you are already "made" i suppose it's immaterial and theres more of a consensus.

Last edited by Centropolis; Jul 31, 2017 at 12:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 12:48 PM

i'll qualify that with the idea that its often responded to with a smirk, some complaining of feeling forced to buy a car and some other bitching about a lack of east coast things/compactness, and then a general conclusion that involves gushing about the greatness of los angeles. like everything about los angeles it's a complicated, nuanced answer. the ny-la bipole tunnel discussion is inherently annoying, though.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Chicago isn't a rival either. It isn't even a sports rival. It's considered a big, important American city, but not a specific rival.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
the only thing i ever hear about chicago from new yorkers relating to any kind of rivalry or relationship is that joke about how new york winter weather wasn't shitty enough so they built chicago.
Chicago has been a rival to NYC for years if you're talking skyscrapers (or architecture).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 1:02 PM

Quote:
not sure what you mean by that. i have literally heard people ask aquaintances why the hell they moved to la (from new york) instead of say seattle. i don't mean that as a slight against los angeles. more to do with opportunities, compact living, or whatever other things middle class new yorkers often value. if you are already "made" i suppose it's immaterial and theres more of a consensus.
New Yorkers like to joke about LA, but I think they "get it". They understand why people move there. The weather's great, the year-round outdoors feel, the produce, the ocean, more laid-back, healthy lifestyles, etc. Yeah, obviously there are still Woody Allen-type cliched jokes about bad bagels and plastic surgery.

And Hollywood, obviously. The entertainment industry (and to lesser extent fashion and advertising) has massive bicoastal cross-pollination. There are so many professionals living in one city, then the other, for a couple of years. There's just a heavy NYC presence everywhere on the Westside.

Granted, this is an upper class connection. In most of LA, there's no NYC presence. But in places like Beverly Hills and Century City, it seems every other professional has roots in the NYC area.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
I've never heard of a Miami vs. Tampa rivalry. In fact Miami vs. any other Florida city is really non existent since it's almost double the size of any other metro in the state.
Exactly. Even in sports there are no Miami-Tampa rivalries. There is very little interaction between the 2 regions despite being so close to each other. Miami/Orlando is much more connected in the real world and mostly Miami/the NY teams in sports (yes we are aware its a one sided rivalry).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 1:23 PM
Ex Houstonian

City rivalries are so dumb, never really knew they existed before moving to Pittsburgh. The vast majority of people hate hate hate Philadelphia here and only because they say Flyers fans are the devil and the whole city is judged negatively due to a stupid sports rivalry. Philadelphia is a lovely city but people here are so obsessed with sports that they hate an entire city based off of a bunch of rich people hitting a puck with sticks.

They also hate Cleveland and Washington DC.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 1:59 PM

Most of these are one way rivalries. Probably most city rivalries are that way.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 3:18 PM
Never Dell

Rivalries in the PNW aren't of the hating variety. For one, we don't all have the same sports teams, and even when we do (MLS, UO-UW) it's pretty good natured.

The rivalries I'm thinking of are more like city nerds about city things.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
Miami vs. San Diego?

Since they're both the southern resort towns of their coast.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 3:29 PM

Quote:
more laid-back,
In what world would anybody consider LA "laid back"? I can't think of a city more antithesis of the word.

Portland, San Diago, Miami and Denver are laid back, not LA.

But then again, the concept of a city being laid back is mostly a cliché false image.

Last edited by The North One; Jul 31, 2017 at 4:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
In what world would anybody consider LA "laid back"? I can't think of a city more antithesis of the word.

Portland, San Diago, Miami and Denver are laid back, not LA.

But then again, the concept of a city being laid back is mostly a chiché false image.
welp. this is but one aspect but in my experience i think theres a noticeable difference between driving in socal or seattle vs philadelphia, miami or even detroit expressways. i've never felt driving in la is that nerve-wracking if you use common sense about where and at what time you drive on the freeway.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Because LA offers things Seattle doesn't. The entertainment industry is probably the biggest reason, but people move to different cities for different experiences. Alot of Nyers don't like or get tired of taking the subway and living in crowded conditions. They're not all looking for a dense, compact area somewhere else.

NYC and LA will always share a creative class connection.

Last edited by LA21st; Jul 31, 2017 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 4:45 PM

Quote:
New Yorkers like to joke about LA, but I think they "get it". They understand why people move there. The weather's great, the year-round outdoors feel, the produce, the ocean, more laid-back, healthy lifestyles, etc. Yeah, obviously there are still Woody Allen-type cliched jokes about bad bagels and plastic surgery.

And Hollywood, obviously. The entertainment industry (and to lesser extent fashion and advertising) has massive bicoastal cross-pollination. There are so many professionals living in one city, then the other, for a couple of years. There's just a heavy NYC presence everywhere on the Westside.

Granted, this is an upper class connection. In most of LA, there's no NYC presence. But in places like Beverly Hills and Century City, it seems every other professional has roots in the NYC area.
I live in LA. There are NYers from downtown all the way to the ocean. Silver Lake, Arts District, Historic Core, etc. Burbank, North Hollywood, Sherman oaks, Studio City are in the same boat because of studio jobs.

It's not a class thing either. Many are young, looking to get started in entertainment (tv/films/music) open cheaper art galleries or retail stores.

There's alot of people in LA from the northeast in general.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I live in LA. There are NYers from downtown all the way to the ocean. Silver Lake, Arts District, Historic Core, etc. Burbank, North Hollywood, Sherman oaks, Studio City are in the same boat because of studio jobs.

It's not a class thing either. Many are young, looking to get started in entertainment (tv/films/music) open cheaper art galleries or retail stores.

There's alot of people in LA from the northeast in general.
OK, I meant places like Anaheim, San Dimas, Thousand Oaks, Whittier, Inglewood, etc. Not much of a NYC presence.

I'm sure places like Studio City and Silver Lake have a NYC presence, as they're industry places. Maybe not wealthy but professionals in the industry. People living in, say, Whittier, basically have the same jobs as anywhere USA.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:05 PM
I am the law!

city vs suburb ... 416 vs 905.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 6:27 PM

There are only a few true rival cities here. The NYC vs LA (before that it was Chicago) is becoming a thing of the past. Even the LA vs SF thing is dying out. I don't know where the Dallas-Houston rivalry stands. The sports rivalry continues primarily because the fans are drawn from the suburbs and small towns outside of the city. But the people who actually live in the cities realize that they have more in common with their supposed rivals than they do with the folks who live in the slurbs surrounding them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions