HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 9:45 PM

Mill Creek along peachteee has its crane up in buckhead.

Hampton inn by disco Kroger is above ground.

Hanover buckhead has made some progress:

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
They did say they would try to break ground this summer so we'll see. Wonder if they found a couple of potential tenants already.
Haven't checked to see if they even have a land disturbance permit yet...but. I need to take soil borings to do the geotechnical foundation design work. Likely still a while out. Not to burst bubbles, but remember Eviva took lots of soil samples and that project probably won't happen.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
Haven't checked to see if they even have a land disturbance permit yet...but. I need to take soil borings to do the geotechnical foundation design work. Likely still a while out. Not to burst bubbles, but remember Eviva took lots of soil samples and that project probably won't happen.

True but Eviva is one project out of many have broken ground so I wouldn't use that as an example.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
They are putting up the tower crane at CODA now 8 a.m.
I must have gotten some bad info, but looks like just one crane instead of 3-4 like I said earlier? Strange, a building that is about a block square, only has one crane???

Last edited by bigstick; May 14, 2017 at 7:55 PM. Reason: said gave instead of have

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I must gave gotten some bad info, but looks like just one crane instead of 3-4 like I said earlier? Strange, a building that is about a block square, only has one crane???
Maybe they still will? 3-4 cranes sounds like what they did for ncr though. Maybe they confused the developments?

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 5:27 PM

Apple in PCM

Am I the only one who thinks that PCM is an overrated mini mall with expensive parking??? It's cool. But I think people like it because it's in an old historic building and belt line access.

With that being said, a smaller Apple Store going there is cool. however, I don't think our flagship, only Intown Apple Store Should be in PCM. I think it should go in a more central location à la colony Square or maybe even somewhere downtown when underground gets redeveloped. Personally I'd rather wait on either of .those two then settle for PCM

Areas like PCM and West Midtown are cool but I'd rather see Flagship retail in Midtown or Downtown on or close to Peachtree close to train stations, workers, hotels, visitors, students and residents. They're gonna have to just build a parking deck somewhere.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
True but Eviva is one project out of many have broken ground so I wouldn't use that as an example.
Agree. But we are past the peak of this development cycle, so with the softening of the apartment market and unknowns about the office market....it's a bit crazy to thing soil boring absolutely means a project will break ground. It took Hanover Midtown (7th Street) almost a year to break ground after soil borings were collected at that site...and a lot can happen in a year. So that's my point.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that PCM is an overrated mini mall with expensive parking??? It's cool. But I think people like it because it's in an old historic building and belt line access.
I don't know of too many malls that have apartment units, corporate business offices, and educational classrooms. PCM is not in the urban core of the city. It's nowhere near central Midtown or Five Points. It is surrounded by a strip mall with a parking lot, drive-thru restaurants, single family homes, a smattering of converted buildings, and Old Fourth Ward area. It's rather isolated from the central "core" so I feel it's amazing success is the best possible outcome for this huge building. Seriously, what else can cities do with old historic buildings? One comes to the conclusion that the only hope for their survival is to become cool and desirable. I do think they should make room for fresh food stalls somewhere on the site. That's my only quibble.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV View Post

With that being said, a smaller Apple Store going there is cool. however, I don't think our flagship, only Intown Apple Store Should be in PCM. I think it should go in a more central location à la colony Square or maybe even somewhere downtown when underground gets redeveloped. Personally I'd rather wait on either of .those two then settle for PCM

Areas like PCM and West Midtown are cool but I'd rather see Flagship retail in Midtown or Downtown on or close to Peachtree close to train stations, workers, hotels, visitors, students and residents. They're gonna have to just build a parking deck somewhere.
Agreed. But I do think that IF its a flagship store, it should be in the shopping/retail mecca for the city.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaden View Post
I don't know of too many malls that have apartment units, corporate business offices, and educational classrooms. PCM is not in the urban core of the city. It's nowhere near central Midtown or Five Points. It is surrounded by a strip mall with a parking lot, drive-thru restaurants, single family homes, a smattering of converted buildings, and Old Fourth Ward area. It's rather isolated from the central "core" so I feel it's amazing success is the best possible outcome for this huge building. Seriously, what else can cities do with old historic buildings? One comes to the conclusion that the only hope for their survival is to become cool and desirable. I do think they should make room for fresh food stalls somewhere on the site. That's my only quibble.
I kinda agree. PCM is cool. Still overrated to me but whatever. It's A good re-use project. And yes,with it being more so east of Midtown and not prime Midtown, I don't want it to become the go to place for intown shopping.

Last edited by SAV; May 15, 2017 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
You just described why and Apple Store on the parking lot on Glen Iris seems really odd to me. If for whatever reason they do not to pull the trigger at PCM, there is still the opportunity for Colony Square to demonstrate it's viability as a retail destination as it will be a phased development with the location of a potential Apple store being a part of the last phase.

BTW that did not appear to me to be soil boring at the 1105 WP site. That looks like something water/sewer related.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
PCM is not in the urban core of the city. It's nowhere near central Midtown or Five Points. It is surrounded by a strip mall with a parking lot, drive-thru restaurants, single family homes, a smattering of converted buildings, and Old Fourth Ward area. It's rather isolated from the central "core" so I feel it's amazing success is the best possible outcome for this huge building.
I'm not sure I agree with this. I get the idea that PCM isn't right next to a MARTA train station, and it isn't right in the heart of Midtown or Downtown. But it's still very much in the central city. It's only 1.2 miles from the North Ave MARTA station, and is served by MARTA buses every 15 minutes (the 2/102). It's directly on the Beltline, and on the Ponce bike lanes. The area is rapidly changing, and I don't think it will be long before this part of town is just considered part of the core. That proposed office building on North Ave would have been great, too bad that fell through.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 1:06 PM

As much as I'd prefer the EST have more local stores than Apple or others already moved in, there are similar instances of Apple locating in trendy neighborhoods throughout the country that jive well. The EST has exponentially more foot-traffic than Midtown, at least on weekends, and is essentially Atlanta's most desirable neighborhood to visit. The difference is palpable between living off 14th compared with living just east of west of the BeltLine.
I'd prefer to keep outside of the two story section of PCM to keep it from feeling like a mall/preferably place it by J.Crew or somewhere in the outside shops.

If Apple makes a store at PCM, I hope it isn't on a parking lot on Glen Iris. I'd rather we put in another mixed use development at that location (directly west of PCM). The more mixed use and office developments between North Ave station and the EST, the more successful Atlanta will be in the future by expanding a cohesive urban footprint.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
there are similar instances of Apple locating in trendy neighborhoods throughout the country that jive well.
A good example of this is the Apple store in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. A little off the beat and path to most of New York, and generally not visited by tourists, but a popular place with locals, and among the most 'trendy' (read: hipster) scenes in New York. They just built a ground up apple store across the street from the new Whole Foods. This is their first Brooklyn store, although other areas of Brooklyn (e.g. downtown) have much more foot traffic. I think Apple is more after demographic and prestige of area than anything to maintain it's brand image. This is what I would envison Apple doing for PCM:

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 3:39 PM
BANNED

Solís Hotel Two Porsche Drive – Atlanta, Georgia

Webcam
https://app.oxblue.com/open/winterco...ion/solishotel

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:24 PM

Solis Hotel & Porsche Headquarters Site

I understand the financial incentives involved, but I would have loved to have seen the Porsche Headquarters and the Solis Hotel in more suitable surroundings given their architectural uniqueness – somewhere less industrial and maybe more like a Road Atlanta setting with trees and hills. If I am about to drop serious money on a Porsche, I would like to hear the unique sounds that only a Porsche makes without the sounds of jets flying overhead and interstate traffic. Maybe it’s me but a JCB equipment dealer seems more suitable for that site. Sorry, a little off topic.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
I understand the financial incentives involved, but I would have loved to have seen the Porsche Headquarters and the Solis Hotel in more suitable surroundings given their architectural uniqueness – somewhere less industrial and maybe more like a Road Atlanta setting with trees and hills. If I am about to drop serious money on a Porsche, I would like to hear the unique sounds that only a Porsche makes without the sounds of jets flying overhead and interstate traffic. Maybe it’s me but a JCB equipment dealer seems more suitable for that site. Sorry, a little off topic.

You don't go to the Porsche Driving Experience Center to buy a Porsche. It's an event space more than anything else.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 8:00 PM

Solis & Porsche Headquarter Locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
You don't go to the Porsche Driving Experience Center to buy a Porsche. It's an event space more than anything else.
Yes, it is understand that the Porsche Headquarters and the adjoining track facility are not involved in sales directly ( only indirectly ).
However, the projected goal of the “Porsche Driving Experience Center” is to give the individual the ultimate driving experience, which in all likelihood, will increase the probability of future sales and retain the existing owner base . However, these facilities are squeezed between an airport runway, rail road tracks and across the street from a McDonalds & Wendy’s – not the most desirable location for making the best impression.
The setting in which these facilities are located is certainly less than ideal aesthetically speaking - but apparently more than ideal financially speaking for Porsche and Solis (through incentives). My point was that these structures seem out-of-place in this location and would seem to be better suited in a less industrial or heavy commercial setting.

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Yes, it is understand that the Porsche Headquarters and the adjoining track facility are not involved in sales directly ( only indirectly ).
However, the projected goal of the “Porsche Driving Experience Center” is to give the individual the ultimate driving experience, which in all likelihood, will increase the probability of future sales and retain the existing owner base . However, these facilities are squeezed between an airport runway, rail road tracks and across the street from a McDonalds & Wendy’s – not the most desirable location for making the best impression.
The setting in which these facilities are located is certainly less than ideal aesthetically speaking - but apparently more than ideal financially speaking for Porsche and Solis (through incentives). My point was that these structures seem out-of-place in this location and would seem to be better suited in a less industrial or heavy commercial setting.
I think its actually in a pretty cool and interesting location. Driving while you see planes landing and taking off is a great feel in my opinion, kind of unique, reminds me of some video games. The fact that its right next to the airport makes it a great and convenient location for people flying in.. And now that the hotel is almost open the location is even getting more desirable. On the contrary building it somewhere far away and in the middle of nowhere like road Atlanta is, is not very unique to Metro Atlanta. Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motor Speedway are both far from the city center, Porsche is not. The hotel and Porsche HQ are both just one part of the Aerotropolis vision, there is still more to come in the surrounding area in the near future, the location is only getting more attractive, and unique.

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:19 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by One ATLien View Post
I think its actually in a pretty cool and interesting location. Driving while you see planes landing and taking off is a great feel in my opinion, kind of unique, reminds me of some video games. The fact that its right next to the airport makes it a great and convenient location for people flying in.. And now that the hotel is almost open the location is even getting more desirable. On the contrary building it somewhere far away and in the middle of nowhere like road Atlanta is, is not very unique to Metro Atlanta. Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motor Speedway are both far from the city center, Porsche is not. The hotel and Porsche HQ are both just one part of the Aerotropolis vision, there is still more to come in the surrounding area in the near future, the location is only getting more attractive, and unique.
It's also about advertising... Porsche N. America executives have spoken about the "free" advertising they receive from flight traffic to/from HJAIA as well as being right next to I-75. Clients can also fly in and quickly be at their location. MARTA is also studying an extension adjacent to the site, so as far as accessibility and visibility - they hit it out of the park.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations