HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 3:18 PM

Portland's downtown plan: Goose Hollow gets a boost as city seeks more West End investments
Jan 2, 2015, 10:58am PST UPDATED: Jan 2, 2015, 1:15pm PST
Andy Giegerich
Digital Managing Editor-
Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...s-a-boost.html

Quote:
While the city's sprawling West Quadrant Plan features detailed looks at seven downtown-area neighborhoods, its section on what could happen in the Goose Hollow neighborhood over the next 20 years might rock residents', and developers', worlds.

The idea is for the city to capitalize on several opportunities in the neighborhood that surrounds Providence Park. One of the highest-profile ideas in the Plan, for instance, is to cap parts of Interstate 405, which effectively bifurcates the neighborhood from downtown.

"Capping portions of I-405, particularly where the freeway network creates a barrier for bicyclists and pedestrians, would improve connectivity, reduce noise and air pollution, and allow the city to reclaim valuable public space for parks and new development," planners wrote in the document, which goes to Portland's City Council in the next few weeks.

The city's also looking to encourage "complimentary development" around Providence Park. The wish list includes theaters, restaurants, hotels, pubs, cafes and galleries. Planners could, according to the document, seek to "expand the frequency and range of event types" at the home of the Portland Timbers.

Why Goose Hollow?

Because it's a "mixed-use district with diverse residential, commercial and institutional uses," planners wrote. "There is an eclectic mix of building types and ages, including a number of historic landmarks."

It already has three light-rail stations, along with a smattering of retail outlets that serve residents who live in single- and multi-family housing. There are enough development possibilities in the neighborhood to add 3,000 new housing units and 2,000 new jobs there by 2035.

The West Quadrant Plan also encourages leaders to look into redeveloping the Lincoln High School site "to include improved educational facilities, new compatible uses, better connections through the site, a robust street presence, and new, green public open space and recreational facilities."

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 7:01 PM

While capping the 405 in places will certainly make downtown more pleasant, it seems hard to ignore the Marquam (structurally deficient) and East side I-5. If Portland used its development money to divert 99 and I5 underground, we might have a new downtown on the East side. This seems so much more important than capping the 405.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 11:09 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
While capping the 405 in places will certainly make downtown more pleasant, it seems hard to ignore the Marquam (structurally deficient) and East side I-5. If Portland used its development money to divert 99 and I5 underground, we might have a new downtown on the East side. This seems so much more important than capping the 405.
Never going to happen, much of that is protected and very active industrial land. It would make no sense to kick out all that employment for residential developments.

Current zoning we will see residential buildings popping up along MLK and Grand and along the bridge routes while protecting the industrial land that is there now.

Burying I-5 and the Marquam Bridge is pretty much a non-starter.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 2:41 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
^^^ What urbanlife said.

Plus, there's no Portland "development" money spent on capping I-405. The city would simply allow construction to occur over the freeway. As property values increase in the central city, the additional costs incurred to build on top of I-405 will start to pencil out.

Burying I-5 (and 99E?), on the other hand, would be a multi-billion dollar money pit that does absolutely nothing to improve access to downtown or vehicle capacity through downtown. Besides which, there's no reason whatsoever that I-5 and the RR tracks can't be capped between the Morrison and Burnside Bridges. At little or no cost to the public.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 6:56 PM

I would also not want the state to build a multibillion dollar tunnel through the east side merely for car traffic. Seattle is having a lesson on this now. However, the Marquam is in very poor condition. We need to have a conversation about this before it is made for us. What happens when it is rendered useless? Do we build another one?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 1:19 AM

"MAC Club"

Quote:
MAC Club apartment developer will take more time to gather data for neighbors and the city

The parties behind a proposed apartment building in the Goose Hollow neighborhood will take a little more time to gather more data for the City Council and neighbors about the project's expected impact.

The Multnomah Athletic Club and Mill Creek Residential will provide more data to the city of Portland and neighbors before moving forward with their efforts to develop the Block 7 property.

The development team will submit for a Central City Parking Review, a specific land use review for new parking in the city's Central City District. Parking in the CCD is subject to a more stringent set of regulations not applicable in other parts of the city.
..continues at the Portland Business Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 4:00 AM

I don't have a DJC subscription, but it looks like the Design Commission approved Jefferson 14 yesterday.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:03 PM

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 8:05 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Well Portland is definitely stocking up on tiny apartments for singles and couples that have very few things.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Something about this building reeks 60s design to me. It feels suburban, bulky, and uninspiring. Will be interested to see these materials and design choices once it's built.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Something about this building reeks 60s design to me. It feels suburban, bulky, and uninspiring. Will be interested to see these materials and design choices once it's built.
I don't mind it really, but I agree it depends on the exterior material palette and good contractor execution of TVA's exterior detailing. Hopefully nothing gets lost in translation from idealized drawings to reality (often does).

It feels like what the Milano could have been with a more generous exterior budget.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 8:00 PM

TVA Architects have submitted drawings for a building permit for the Jefferson 14 apartments:

Quote:
New 6 story apartment building, landscaping and site improvements

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 7:31 PM

1501 SW Taylor has been submitted for building permit review by SERA Architects:

Quote:
6-story, mixed-use residential apartments with one level of sub-grade parking. 121 units. (existing structure to be demolished under separate permit)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 2:25 AM
A before E

Quote:
1501 SW Taylor has been submitted for building permit review by SERA Architects:
I am guessing this will be where the little one story building and parking lot is? If so, this should be some decent infill....I am not holding my breath for any great design from SERA, but at least it should fit in.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 4:03 AM

Efiles has images, if you're interested. It's nothing spectacular, but I'm looking forward to something happening in this oddly overlooked section of town.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 4:53 AM

The 3-story apt building at the SW corner of 16th and Morrison is being converted to condos. It's all fenced off.

(Maybe this is downtown. To me, that side of 405 is Goose Hollow.)

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 7:56 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
The 3-story apt building at the SW corner of 16th and Morrison is being converted to condos. It's all fenced off.

(Maybe this is downtown. To me, that side of 405 is Goose Hollow.)
To me, that's Goose Hollow too. At first, I thought you might be talking about The Commodore, so I did some looking. It's actually this building, which could be nice. I can't even imagine what they're going to sell for.

And speaking of The Commodore - holy cow - The Commodore has a 400 sq/ft space available for $1050/mo plus another $50/mo for water/sewer, raising the price to $1100. Wow. I say "space" because they list it as being a 1br, but I have trouble imagining 400 square feet being a one bedroom.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 4:48 PM

I had a 300 SF apartment in the Commodore about 15 years ago. They were very well laid out in my opinion. It was only a studio, but another 100 SF could easily add a bedroom to that.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Are you sure about that? PortlandMaps lists it as an office, and there are no permits filed for the change of occupancy.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 6:51 PM

Did I describe it incorrectly? This is the property: http://www.portlandmaps.com/detail.c...8&y=683659.987

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland