HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

View Poll Results: What was the British media's journalistic lowpoint during the 2010 Vancouver Games?
The Guardian: "Worst Games Ever" 15 68.18%
The Guardian: "From Disaster to Calamity" 2 9.09%
The Guardian: "No Fun City" not "World Class" 1 4.55%
The Economist snorts about obesity in Canada 0 0%
Daily Mail blames Canada for tragic luger death 2 9.09%
The Times: "Highly unpleasant Own The Podium" 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
Well, at least the British didn't call Canada a Nazi Nation, like Gil LeBreton did:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/02...ians-only.html

I just can't believe this guy claims to have covered 15 Olympics, 7 of them winter, yet, in his original column, was shocked by this:

Quote:
The Vancouver Games' ticketing policy didn't help the partisan scene at the venues. To order Olympic tickets through the Vancouver 2010 Web site, a buyer had to have a Canadian address. China sold 6.8 million tickets to its 2008 Summer Olympics. Vancouver only made 1.6 million available. The Canadians wanted to "Own the Podium," but organizers made sure that they owned the grandstands at each venue as well.
You've watched (covered?!) 15 of these things and you've never noticed that they might be selling more tickets in the summer!? As for selling tickets to Canadians... there were endless tickets available for resale at 'market' prices. We're paying for the games. I'm not really keen on subsidizing Americans who want to attend events or flip tickets themselves.

And that was probably the least offensive part of his article. Anyways, this type of reporting and the squawking in the British media really isn't worth getting worked up about, but it's unfortunate. I guess there is just so much being said, broadcasted, written, blogged, posted etc. that being outrageous and sensational is the best way to get heard when you don't actually have an interesting story to tell or any particular talent for telling one.

Last edited by Locked In; Mar 8, 2010 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 11:25 PM
Site 8 Lives

Here we go again - this time another Dallas-based journalist, from the Dallas Observer, is trashing Canadian patriotism, and referring to the Vancouver Games as a "disaster".

"By all accounts the Vancouver Games were a disaster (dead luger, no snow, Opening Ceremonies malfunctions, etc.). So when Canadians partied in the streets and called theirs the greatest Olympics ever, LeBreton took - that's right - offense. I read his column the Sunday it came out. Insightful, I thought. My takeaway was that Canada's hockey triumph and chauvinistic propaganda diluted a supposedly world event..."

And it goes on and on from there...

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/spor...ebreton_pi.php

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 12:49 AM

people will criticize mother theresa and god so whatever

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 1:24 AM

Why do we care about this so much? Not everyone is going to agree that these were good games -- nor should they. Many journalists make a point of being contrarian.

It's just one guy's opinion.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooks28 View Post
It's just one guy's opinion.
Nuh-uh, it's by ALL ACCOUNTS, because he SAID SO!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
Here we go again - this time another Dallas-based journalist, from the Dallas Observer, is trashing Canadian patriotism, and referring to the Vancouver Games as a "disaster".

"By all accounts the Vancouver Games were a disaster (dead luger, no snow, Opening Ceremonies malfunctions, etc.). So when Canadians partied in the streets and called theirs the greatest Olympics ever, LeBreton took - that's right - offense. I read his column the Sunday it came out. Insightful, I thought. My takeaway was that Canada's hockey triumph and chauvinistic propaganda diluted a supposedly world event..."

And it goes on and on from there...

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/spor...ebreton_pi.php
Was this guy even at the Olympics to make such qualified conclusions? Yeah, hearsay is such good journalism...

I have to admit, there has been some uncomfortable backlash from the American public on the Canadians' reactions to these articles. I fully realize this observation is made through the extremely distorted lens of the Comments Sections. I find reading them as much entertaining as disturbing.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]