HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 12:23 PM

Two Regina professional basketball players, Joe De Ciman & Kai Williams are hoping to inspire the next generation to follow in their shoes...
Along with Trey Lyles from Utah Jazz, Joe and Kai are part of a unique fraternity, Saskatchewan-born professional basketball players.
Joe and Kai are in Regina for the summer training together and coaching in basketball camps.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 4:10 PM
The New Republic

Canada demolish Brazil 84-45 in the Semi-Final of the 2017 FIBA Women's Americup. Canada is the defending champion and will meet Argentina for the gold this evening. As world champions, the USA doesn't need to compete in the continental championships to qualify for the World Cup. They skipped the 2017 addition just like they did in 2015 when Canada hosted in Edmonton.

By finishing in the top 3 Canada has qualified for the Women's Basketball World Cup.

Courtesy of FIBA

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 7:17 PM

Old Posted Aug 14, 2017, 4:25 AM
The New Republic

Canada Beats Argentina 67-65 to take Gold

Courtesy of FIBA

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 3:45 AM
Registered Drug User

I think that was one of the most dominating second halves the Raptors have ever played.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 5:16 AM
Registered Drug User

Midseason thoughts on the roster.

1. DeMar DeRozan takes 300 three-pointers a night on his own outside of practice, and is now a threat from behind the arc. He has improved his game every year, and unlike some selfish stats-obsessed players, he has totally bought into the "culture reset" of more passing and fewer iso plays. He's not just a perennial all-star, but is now establishing himself as the greatest Raptor of all time. It has a been a pleasure watching his evolution, the relentless building up of strength upon strength. He just keeps getting better. A couple years ago I thought he was a one-dimensional player with a limited offensive ceiling. Now I think he's on the cusp of being among the elite five or six players in the league, if he isn't already. Can't say enough about how lucky we are to have him in Toronto.

2. Kyle Lowry's minutes are down to 32 per game from 37 last year. Obviously he's being saved for the postseason. I think he's past his prime, and he can still be frustratingly inconsistent, but sometimes he gets hot. The Raptors will not go anywhere in the postseason unless he gets hot more often than not.

3. Last year I had the impression that Serge Ibaka wasn't all that thrilled with how Toronto petered out against Cleveland, and he never really seemed in sync with the team, but this year he's been a revelation. The three-point shooting is good, but that midrange jumper is golden and the shot-blocking is fantastic.

4. Every time I think that Jonas Valanciunas is expendable in light of the terrific play of Lucas Nogueira and Jakob Peoltl he comes up with a great game like tonight against the Bucks. Is he a post-up dinosaur who doesn't fit in with the current era of speed and three-point shooting, or is he still a vital cog? I guess he affords the Raptors the luxury of having a traditional center to use against teams where that would be an advantage, and he sits when the team needs to be speedier.

5. OG Anunoby is an athletic rookie playing with the steadiness and maturity of a veteran, and he has a decent three-pointer. Great potential there.

6. I've been in love with Delon Wright since he first stepped on the floor two years ago, and it's terrific to see his capability now that he's finally injury-free (knock on wood). He's got length, is a great defender, and knows how to drive to the hoop. I suspect that he'll be taking over from Kyle Lowry in the next couple of years to become the the Raptors' number-one playmaker.

7. Fred VanVleet? Wow. Where'd he come from? Last year I thought he was on the D-League track to Europe, but this year he's shown impressive quickness and a savvy ability to get to the hoop. He's a real upgrade over Cory Joseph as the second-team point guard.

8. Pascal Siakam is another wonderful young player with athleticism up the wahoo and tantalizing potential. He could turn into an X-factor guy, a Dennis Rodman-like figure except with better offense and without the North Korean connections.

9. I love Jakob Poeltl's shot-blocking and defensive presence. Did the Raptors luck out in the draft this year or what? Seems like a solid kid, the kind of bench player you need on a winning team.

10. CJ Miles has one job, and everybody knows what that job is. When he comes in and does his job he's like a three-point turbo-charger. Has the potential to make the Raptors a scary good team.

11. Every time Lucas Nogeira comes into the game he blocks shots and gets easy alley-oop buckets on passes from Kyle Lowry. The team really seems to hum when he's in the game. What am I missing? Wouldn't he be a better fit in the starting five than Jonas Valanciunas? Though he's not the offensive player than Valanciunas is, he's a better defender. Shrug.

12. I feel sad for Norman Powell. He's talented and strong, but he's losing the game in his head, and now he's fallen out of the rotation. Wouldn't be surprised to see him as part of a trade.

Masai Ujiri is without a doubt an absolute basketball genius. It was a total poker bluff when he gave Terence Ross that big contract, as it inflated Ross's value and allowed Ujiri to get Ibaka (the Magic are finding out that Ross is the same disappointment that he was in Toronto). He also kept the core of the team together when there might have been a real temptation to blow it up, and that turns out to have been the right move. The Raptors have a deep roster very reminiscent of the great post-millennial Spurs teams, where the second unit comes on the floor and charges things up with athleticism and great defense.

Funny how there weren't too many hopes about this year following the excitement of the surge of 2015-16 and then the disappointing postseason of 2016-17. There was a sense that the Raptors had reached their ceiling, but now all of a sudden they have their best record ever to this point in the season and are looking legitimately dangerous. They're 16-3 since late November, and are really on a roll. Of course the real litmus test of where the teams stands will be the two home games against Cleveland and Golden State coming up next week.

I can't recall the last time I've felt such anticipation. Against all odds, the Raps this year are the most exciting they've ever been.

Last edited by rousseau; Jan 6, 2018 at 6:51 PM. Reason: Typos

Old Posted Jan 6, 2018, 6:44 PM

I'll withhold my enthusiasm until they consistently hold their own against Boston, Cleveland, GS and Houston. While the Raptors have been impressive lately, they're not an elite team until they beat other elite teams. That said, Milwaukee looked absolutely shell-shocked by them in the third quarter.

Unfortunately in Usports, the Pronghorns got manhandled in Manitoba last night. Their early season promise is dwindling fast, and they have a tough schedule coming up.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 3:46 AM
Registered Drug User

They cream Cleveland, and then tonight they lose a close one to Golden State after a roaring comeback. Which would have been a decisive win if they'd played any semblance of defense in the first half.

Enthused yet?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 2:02 PM
ハルウララ

Acadia landing 1,200 to one of their basketball games.

https://twitter.com/AcadiaAthletics/...45904375369728

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 11:10 PM

Not really enthused yet. While the Raptors were impressive in the second half, they are still poster boys for inconsistency. A true elite team doesn't suffer the defensive lapses they did in the first half. Even in the NBA, defence is, or should be, the easiest part of the game to play. Last night's game was IIRC the fifth game this year the Raptors essentially gave away with their inconsistent and all-too-often lackadaisical play.

But if they can beat Boston in their next meeting...

Stayed home to watch the game last night (though I could have made the second half over at the U) because it was against GS and because the Pronghorns didn't look great Friday against UBC...last night they won in OT and Zac Overwater scored 43 pts.

Last edited by GernB; Jan 14, 2018 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:47 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
CANADA’S BASKETBALL HERITAGE
The only remaining original basketball court in the world is in St Stephen NB!

A unique sports tourism attraction for Charlotte County has taken one step closer to reality in St Stephen with the announcement that Canada1st Basketball Inc. (C1BI) has reached an Agreement in Principle with St Croix Vocational Centre Inc. (SCVC) supporting the purchase and development of an historic property at 4/8 King St. by C1BI.

In a news item obtained from the St Croix Courier dated October 17, 1893, a basketball game was played between a team from Calais, Maine and a team from St Stephen, NB at what was then the St. Stephen YMCA. After a fire in 2010, what is believed to be the oldest remaining original basketball court in the world was discovered…intact and undamaged by the fire.

........we see this as a fantastic step forward and our organization is prepared to accept the challenge of creating a significant legacy to the history of the sport of basketball not only in Canada but in North America and the world”.

Full article: http://site2513.goalline.ca/news.php?news_id=1620335

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:23 PM
Registered Drug User

The only team in the top five in both offensive and defensive efficiency. The best and most exciting second unit in the league. Five wins in a row by margins greater than 15 points, a consecutive blowout record matched only by Golden State. Boston currently coming back down to earth after a momentum and adrenaline-filled first half of the season that they could never possibly sustain.

Enthused yet?

My prediction: Golden State over Toronto in 6 to win the title. It's going to be a fun ride.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 10:03 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
The only team in the top five in both offensive and defensive efficiency. The best and most exciting second unit in the league. Five wins in a row by margins greater than 15 points, a consecutive blowout record matched only by Golden State. Boston currently coming back down to earth after a momentum and adrenaline-filled first half of the season that they could never possibly sustain.

Enthused yet?

My prediction: Golden State over Toronto in 6 to win the title. It's going to be a fun ride.

I'm still not convinced the Raptors can sustain this level of play into the playoffs. If they can make a good run and get to 7 games in the Eastern Conference finals I'll be content.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 11:00 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I'm still not convinced the Raptors can sustain this level of play into the playoffs. If they can make a good run and get to 7 games in the Eastern Conference finals I'll be content.
Another ECF final would be great and I fully expect them to be able to push Boston/Cleveland to the limit. Making the Finals would be tremendous.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Why ?

Boston = a team full young talent and rookies in starting roles. The rookies have no idea about how long the grind of 82 games plus the playoffs is and have already been seeing slight production dropoffs due to fatigue.

Cleveland = Pressed reset on its roster. Nobody knows what this teams ceiling is... or its floor. They got younger and quicker but they traded away veteran cold veins and skill.

Raptors seldom play their starts all while giving a young and springy bench more and more playing experience. During the playoffs when rotation get shorter and teams are forced to play starts more minutes Toronto has a very good advantage that it can throw in fresh legs at any time for a rocket boost.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:24 AM
Registered Drug User

It's embarrassing how many Raptors fans show up in Detroit when they play the Pistons. There's a very slight European football away supporter vibe going on, though obviously without any intensity or rancor. Still, this doesn't happen for any other NBA team (no crowds of Celtics fans taking up one section of MSG when they play the Knicks), and I don't know if it happens for any other pro sports team in North America at all due to the distances between teams.

Does this happen with Leafs fans in Buffalo? What about when the Cubs play the Black Sox? Weird how New York has multiple teams in the big four sports, but you don't really see this either.

I know that people in Windsor tend to support Detroit sports teams, but I honestly wonder if there aren't more Raps fans than Pistons fans in Windsor? Would be interesting to see a poll on this.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:44 AM

Quote:
It's embarrassing how many Raptors fans show up in Detroit when they play the Pistons. There's a very slight European football away supporter vibe going on, though obviously without any intensity or rancor. Still, this doesn't happen for any other NBA team (no crowds of Celtics fans taking up one section of MSG when they play the Knicks), and I don't know if it happens for any other pro sports team in North America at all due to the distances between teams.

Does this happen with Leafs fans in Buffalo? What about when the Cubs play the Black Sox? Weird how New York has multiple teams in the big four sports, but you don't really see this either.

I know that people in Windsor tend to support Detroit sports teams, but I honestly wonder if there aren't more Raps fans than Pistons fans in Windsor? Would be interesting to see a poll on this.
Raptors have a "national" fan base and fans that stretch all through southern Ontario. There are likely lots of Raptor fans that are less than a 2-hour drive from Detroit and now with the arena downtown and much more easy to get to from the border it does not surprise me there are so many Raptors fans present.

Lots of Leafs fans head down to Buffalo as you can see a Leafs game there for much cheaper than at the ACC.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:56 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
MLS teams do it over distances that are manageable. Generally the Eastern teams do it more but teams out West have fans that travel pretty well considering the distance. LAFC had a pretty big group go to Seattle for their first match this past week:

MLS on Twitter

And Atlanta supporters in Houston:

Jason Zimmermann on Twitter

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:35 PM

The Raptors became the first team in the NBA to clinch a playoff spot last night. We have a real shot of winning the Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy this year.

Source: https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:52 PM

They looked sluggish and uninterested except for the last few minutes against Detroit and Orlando. Derozan's end-to-end was true highlight reel stuff. Still biggest weakest is at the small/shooting forward spot, and no relief in sight. Hopefully they were just looking ahead to Houston on Friday. Will be their biggest test of the season so far; I hope they're up for what may well be a preview of the league final.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada