HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 8:00 PM

Every shot shows really well, that the Galcorp and the Gloucester really are the king and queen of this city. I also like the Atlanticorp Buildings role in the skyline.

Waiting to see some of those surrounding areas. The skyline will look even better when the downtown is surrounded by lowrises.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 7:23 PM

It's sad this forum is dead. Staunton was such a great city.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
It's sad this forum is dead. Staunton was such a great city.
Yes! It really was a great city model! I was a lurker here in the forums hayday, and wish my city could get as much attention as the old ones did.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 6:29 PM

I found staunton, and it inspired me to build a city of my own.

Now, my city might outgrow Staunton.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 6:44 PM

And over time it gets better and better and better!
Patrick in this forum we respect the Laws of Thermodynamics!

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 5:09 PM

Please work on Staunton, because my city might be the fastest growing city on this forum, i don't want my city to outgrow Staunton.

I would like Galcorp to be in my city too, since i want my cities to be in the same universe as Staunton, and to help revive this forum, it needs more cities, and i have about 30 fictional cities that can have individual threads of their own, and i will update each city whenever possible.

Can i use your textures from your 3d warehouse buildings?

Btw, the tallest building in my state is the IDS Center, which was built in 1972, which Lakeport's tallest building is going to be heavily based on it, btw i updated Lakeport, and there will be another update very soon, since i am going to update my city as frequently as possible.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 10:33 PM
Desert Dweller

So it's been about two years since I touched Staunton, my life has been so busy that there's simply no time for Sketchup! I was so inspired by Vellu's amazing work on Halvoo that I decided to dust off Staunton and continue working on it during my down time. Now that it's summer and things have slowed down, I hope to get as much of Staunton modeled before I head back to school in the fall.

I'll give you guys a more formal update once I have more new material to show, but for now here are some renders to refresh you all on Staunton's atheistic!

Good morning Staunton! In the center of the image we have towers The Ferry Plaza. To the right, I've renamed the Atlanticop Center to Lewis & Clark Plaza (Staunton's equivalent of Wells Fargo).

Looking at the heart of the city, we see some of Staunton's most cherished pre-war beauties. Starting on the left, we have the Gilbert Building, City Hall, the Society Center, and Harmon Tower.

Terminal Square with Staunton's postmodern jewels, Terminal Tower and Worthington Center in the center. I'm not satisfied with this area and plan on revamping it, expect a redesigned train station in the near future.

The North End in all it's glory, looking south we can see the newer part of downtown with it's healthy stock of postmodern buildings. To the left we have the Galleria Center and the Coppers Center. They are the latest additions to the skyline.

In contrast, when viewing the city from the south you can see more of Staunton's pre-war buildings that lie within the Stock Exchange district. The Jefferson Bridge is absent from this shot (I have yet to work on the freeway system).

Well that's all I have for now, I'd like to thank all the support I've gotten from SSP over the years, there would be no Staunton today without it! Long live the Google Sketchup subfourm!

Last edited by Patrick; Jun 4, 2016 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 10:46 PM

That last "ferry view" image is priceless
Staunton's looking much better than the actual Lower Manhattan.... I specially like that 80s-90s style of partial cladding as seen on Lewis and Clark and VD.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 4:50 PM

Great to have Staunton back, even if it's just for the summer! The views are stunning, the density is remarkable! Every building looks very realistic and the balance between landmark buildings and more ordinary buildings - "fillers" - is just about perfect.

The last shot: nice photoshopping! I think this kind of waterfront works really well with Staunton's skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Terminal Square with Staunton's postmodern jewels, Terminal Tower and Worthington Center in the center. I'm not satisfied with this area and plan on revamping it, expect a redesigned train station in the near future.

I actually very much love this view! The post-modern beauties in the middle and the massive Galcorp Plaza looming in the background!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 6:15 AM

Staunton looks like a real city recreated in Sketchup.

I'll make some highway ramps and interchanges for Staunton if you want, i need to make them anyway for Lakeport, and other cities.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 2:02 PM

Absolutely incredible city.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 6:26 AM
Desert Dweller

Thank you guys for the feedback, Codster121 I might take you up on that offer. My focus is currently on getting Downtown completely modeled so I can wrap it with infrastructure.

MERCHANT'S HILL

What was once a densely packed district thriving with business, Merchant's Hill fell largely unpopular and abandoned by the late 1960's. In an effort to bring back interest to the city center, Staunton city planners proposed leveling out the hill and demolishing blocks of old buildings to be replaced with new office development. Merchant's Hill's large new parcels of land ready for development attracted many corporations to build their Staunton headquarters in a recovering Downtown.

The large scale destruction of an entire neighborhood led to a massive preservation movement that led to the landmarking of many historic building across the city. With the loss of the urban fabric that once made up Merchant's Hill came Downtown's first wave of postmodern architecture. Gone were the alleyways and lowrise buildings, replaced with towering class A office space surrounded by landscaped plazas.

In this shot below, Merchant’s Hill is considered to be everything left of One Galcorp Plaza.

I have redone the STA Center and Union Station and switched their positions. Union Station was completed in 1926 and is considered one of Staunton’s most cherished landmarks. The decaying structure was saved by a swift preservation movement following the large scale demolition of the surrounding neighborhood in the 1970’s. The Staunton Transit Authority proposed expanding the station across the street and constructing a new building to serve as their headquarters. In 1985 the STA Center opened for business with a newly restored Union Station. The STA Center also houses the first shopping mall to be built on Merchant’s Hill. The success of the STA Center Mall helped revitalize the district and inspired developers to build the Staunton Place Mall just a few blocks over.

Terminal Tower has been expanded to fill the whole block, which will now go by Station Place. In response to the success of the STA Center, the mixed-use Station Place was finished in 1989, complete with an office tower, hotel wing, and shopping atrium.

The rush to preserve the remaining pre-war buildings on Merchant’s Hill led to the landmarking of Block 40. City planners and developers often spoke of tearing down the block and either uniting Galcorp Plaza with Terminal Square or constructing new development. Today, the block is dwarfed by surrounding buildings and is now a part of one of Staunton’s most iconic and photographed views. Everyday thousands of commuters are greeted by this magnificent view of Downtown's skyscrapers towering over Terminal Square as they exit Union Station.

With the success of the neighboring STA Center and Station Place, developers started to see Merchant’s Hill as Staunton’s next great shopping district. Developers proposed The Staunton Place, a five story, three building shopping center. The first building opened in 1991, the other two were both open by 1993. While the mall has had it’s ups and downs economically, it remains largely successful thanks to it’s prime location near the waterfront.

The Liberty Building was once Staunton’s tallest building, completed in 1913 it has long been surpassed by neighboring skyscrapers. The building stood vacant for a decade until it was restored and converted into lofts in 2000, reopening as Liberty Lofts.

Two Galcorp Plaza
is considered to be the final piece of the Merchant’s Hill Redevelopment Plan. The long-delayed controversial tower was finally finished in 2006, marking an end to over three decades of construction on Merchant’s Hill.

Well that's all for now, my next update will focus on the Financial District which I have also been working on.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 3:02 PM

So pretty, must make moar pretty skyscrapers. xD

Does Two Galcorp Plaza take inspiration from the Leadenhall Building in London? it looks like a big blue cheesegrater too.

Also, the history of Merchant's Hill sounds similar to the Gateway District in Minneapolis during the 1960s, when nearly a quarter of the city was demolished.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 12:28 AM

This city is the best!

I remember when it was first posted!

I was not a member then, and did not have a computer that could run sketchup, but this city and Sun city inspired me to make my own someday!

I wish Sun city was still on here, but now theres my city!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 4:47 PM

Outstanding update! I really love the low rise historic block among the gigantic skyscrapers. The stories behind the pictures are great.

The view from the Terminal Square towards the One Galcorp Plaza is breathtaking! It would be amazing to see this kind of view in real life.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the Financial District.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 3:57 AM

How do you manage to keep sketchup working with so many textures?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 5:37 AM
nuttin

Patrick, still kickn and rippin it. You must be like 60 y.o now?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 12:22 AM

Staunton represents a great work of faith and devotion. As a project which has spanned nearly a decade, it epitomizes the spirit of the Sketchup community. Patrick, your work and dedication to the urban form is inspiring and beautiful. I look forward to seeing more updates, if and when they come.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2016, 10:24 PM

I echo the last post, Patrick it just gets better and better.
I always like large scale detailed shots, but that pic of the Liberty Building at dusk is absolutely fantastic. Gotham Ultra.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 6:39 PM
Desert Dweller

Hello everyone! After a 2 year hiatus, Staunton is back in business!

It's hard to believe Staunton is nearing it's 11 year anniversary. Seems like it was just yesterday when I was a junior high student messing around with Sketchup. Now in my mid-20's, my vision of Staunton remains largely the same. I still dream of finishing this fictional city of mine and in time I'm sure I can but I know that's still a ways away. I'm happy with this version of Staunton (the 7th reincarnation) and finally feel the city has an identity of it's own.

I miss our active little community we once had in this sub forum, if you guys are still out there I just wanted to say thanks for helping me along the way with this passion project. Staunton would have never continued for as long as it has without the feedback and input from this sub forum.

~~~

Keeping up with the times, Staunton is no longer the dilapidated metropolis in the midst of a recession. Today, Staunton's economy is healthier than ever and is in the midst of a renaissance. Downtown is cleaner than ever and is experiencing a large influx of new residents and residential development. However the city still stuffers from a large presence of organized crime and a corrupt city government and police department.

Checking in on the eastern end of Downtown in the early morning. Exchange Place, Staunton's old financial core, can be seen in the center.

The most significant recent addition is the Arquette Building, Staunton's 4th tallest building. Completed in 1929, it housed offices for the city until it was converted to luxury condominiums in 2017.

Located just steps from City Hall, residents of the building enjoy a convenient centralized location with unparalleled views of the city.

Looking east towards the Atlantic we see the wealthy suburb of Brighton to the left and to the right we see Artillery Park. Staunton's lush waterfront park is home to several museums, a zoo, botanical gardens, and historic Fort Staunton.

As the sun sets on Staunton we see the Financial District, an area that saw many boxes go up during the 1960's and 70's. The three main buildings in the foreground from left to right are the Pence Pharmaceuticals Plaza, Staunton Title & Trust Center, and the Grant Provident Building.

That's all I have for now! I have exciting plans for the civic center including a performing arts complex (a first for Staunton!) and two low rise neighborhoods. Callahan will be a former industrial neighborhood north of Downtown that is experiencing major gentrification and Artillery Hill, a charming waterfront neighborhood home to some of the city's oldest buildings.

Stay tuned!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup