HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 8:53 AM

Hastings little league

Quote:
Talk about drama.

With nothing more than pride on the line, the Hastings Little League all-stars beat Germany 14-13 in their final game of the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pa., on Tuesday.

Hastings led 10-2 at one point, but needed a four-run, sixth-inning rally to secure their lone win in the prestigious tournament for 11- and 12-year-olds.

“Everyone’s just ecstatic — what a roller coaster of emotions,” said Hastings manager Jeff Matsuda. “I can’t say enough about the resiliency of the kids. The mood was pretty low after giving up 11 runs in the fifth, but they never quit. We told them ‘one hit at a time’ and that’s what they did. I’m very proud of each and every one of them.”

Trailing 13-12 with the bases loaded and two outs in the sixth and final inning, Katie Reyes stroked a two-run single into right field to cap the comeback in front of 6,240 fans at Volunteer Stadium. Matthew Woo was just as instrumental in the victory, taking two straight balls to set the stage for Reyes, who became just the 14th girl to take to the field in Little League World Series history.

“I was excited,” Reyes told reporters after the game. “I was shaking I was so nervous.”

Reyes, who plays first base, also recorded the final out after a brilliant play by Christian Cullen. Hastings’ second baseman made a diving stop to his right before firing a strike from his knees to end the game. It was only fitting, as Cullen had a ball go off his face during Europe’s 11-run, fifth-inning rally.

“What a play by Christian that was,” said Matsuda. “That would have been the tying run if it got by him.”

Hastings entered the game knowing it had no chance of advancing to the next round of play. Mexico’s 13-0 win over Germany on Monday officially eliminated the Canadian representatives.

“Just getting here puts us on the map,” said Matsuda. “I would imagine our registration will double next year.”

It was a remarkable run for Hastings, which had never won a Canadian title let alone been to Williamsport before this year. It was the first Vancouver team to make it to the Little League World Series since Little Mountain Little League did it in 1953.

Hastings opened the World Series with a 2-1 loss to Mexico and an 8-0 loss to Taiwan to finish the tournament with a 1-2 record, good enough for third in Pool D.

Ryan Matsuda recorded the win on Tuesday, retiring the final two batters after giving up a one-out double in the bottom of the sixth. Matsuda replaced starting pitcher Anthony Cusati one inning earlier, giving up nine runs — five of which were earned.

“That was tough to watch,” said Jeff Matsuda, who had a front row seat for his son’s worst nightmare. “The players are a tight knit group so there was a lot of consoling on the bench.”

Not that it matters now. By the time the younger Matsuda has kids of his own, all that will matter is he got a win on little league baseball’s biggest stage. There aren’t many Canadian kids who can say that.
Credits to VancouverSun for the atrticle

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/H...857/story.html

It is a shame they did not make it, but after all it is Canada, and we aren't the greatest when it comes to baseball
My direct cousin Matteo Vincelli is on this team, I plan to congratulate him sometime when I'm done working. And apparently the Canucks are going to throw them a party too, better get my jerseys ready for all those markers!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation