HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 2:31 AM

Gregor Sees Amber Waves of Grain...

Gawd, just when you wonder if the happy planet crowd can get any kookier, they outdo themselves. Now Gregor and crew want to spend some tax dollars on encouraging Vancouver residents to grow wheat in their front yard.

First it was chicken coops, then it was vegetable gardens at City Hall.

A candidate for mayor is speaking out over a plan that could see front lawns turned into wheat farms.

The NPA's Suzanne Anton calls it another one of Gregor Robertson's "green schemes." She says she's all for green ideas that are useful, but thinks this one is just too bizarre -- right up there with homeless chicken shelters.

"What I cannot support is the proposal that we give an organization money to experiment with growing wheat on people's front lawns. This is just goofy. If people want to grow wheat on their front lawns, I'm all for that, but taxpayers should not be supporting it.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...st-urban-wheat

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 3:11 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Don't think we have the ideal climate for wheat. Not to mention that it's a relatively cheap item that is a waste to grow if using comparative advantage. Gee grow a yard of tomatoes or a yard of wheat...
I'm not a fan of any government subsidies and while this is only $5K it just doesn't seem like a good use of money. Have to agree with S. Anton, if anyone wants to grow wheat then let them, no need to pay them though.

Another item that isn't getting much attention is the COV giving a large grant to Cargobike. While I think Cargobike is a valid concept and might have a future I just don't see the point of them receiving taxpayer money, providing them with an unfair advantage compared to the existing courier companies out tehre.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 3:53 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

LOL! wtf .... you have to wonder about Gregor at times ... all times

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 1:57 PM

Gregor's been smoking a bit too much wheat.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 3:42 PM

And as much as I cant' stand the kook, I have to lay odds in his favour of being re-elected, because the opposition hasn't been able to get their team back in order.

Gregor's eye is so far off the game of things that really matter; his platform sounds strangely ripped off from some hippy commune.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 5:16 PM

Question

I think he'll be reelected. The general populace doesn't seem to share this caricaturized hatred for whatever he does. There are those who are against the bike lanes but also many who support them. In general, there hasn't really been a defining issue to defeat him on. IMO.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 7:31 PM

I enjoy how the NPA nit-picket on such small elements, like chicken coops or this wheat grant. End of the day though, Vision brought in an ambitious plan to become the Greenest City and these are all components of achieving that goal.

Also, Vancouver has a long history of giving away hundreds of thousands in grants to community groups. That's partially why there's so much community activism out there in comparison to other municipalities. I don't see how this veers from that tradition.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 7:39 PM

Wouldn't it be a better use of funds to expand VCAN or green the roofs of some of the larger buildings to reduce the heat island effect?

Also, given the amount of rain in Vancouver, I would hardly think the climate is that conducive to growing wheat.

Don't think this one should have made it outside the brainstorming session...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
I enjoy how the NPA nit-picket on such small elements, like chicken coops or this wheat grant. End of the day though, Vision brought in an ambitious plan to become the Greenest City and these are all components of achieving that goal.
Out of curiosity, assuming that growing wheat on front lawns is somehow feasible, how is that "green"?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 8:57 PM

Our summers are dry enough for wheat. Wheat takes about 120 days to grow, and wet weather is good in the early part of its growth. Grow in April to early May, harvest in early September or before the wet season.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 9:42 PM

I'm curious - does City of Vancouver have a "clean yard" bylaw? I have heard of residents in other communities getting in trouble for growing native plants in their yards in place of grass, under similar bylaws. It seems to me that wheat would be similar (or worse, since it's not native).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Good grief. If this is all Anton and NPA can come up with, it shows how desperate and empty of ideas they really are. It is only 5 grand.

How about putting forward some solid policies to address the real issues facing the city.

Anyway, how come this forum is being used for ridiculous trivial partisan attacks? Lets leave these non-troverseries to the City Circus boys.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
How about putting forward some solid policies to address the real issues facing the city.
I think that's the point.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 10:51 PM

Last I heard Canada is one of if not the biggest wheat producers in the world, we dump piles of it to keep the prices stable. Not to mention that growing wheat on ones front lawn is a poor use of a persons time, will support a larger rat population, and will drain the soil of nutrients. None of these things are green, wasted time isnt, fertilizers arent, rat poison and disease and pest control arent.

I said it before our mayor is a moron.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 11:13 PM
BANNED

Nice to have some real reporting instead of political spin.

http://communities.canada.com/vancou...kes-sense.aspx

Why growing wheat in Vancouver actually makes sense

By JEFF LEE 15 JUN 2011 COMMENTS(0) CIVIC LEE SPEAKING

Filed under: Vancouver, social science, suzanne anton, Andrea Reimer, food, grants, farmers markets

Quote:
Okay, so I know it's fun to poke at things like backyard chicken coops and turning front lawns into wheat fields. With this city council, it's not hard to find things to smirk about.

And Suzanne Anton, the Non-Partisan Association mayoral candidate whose party is swinging for November's election fence on anything remotely controversial, gets funny points for offering to buy Mayor Gregor Robertson a pair of overalls and a pitchfork to aid in his pursuit of all things green in the city.

But here's the reality of a program like the unfortunately-named Lawns to Loaves wheat project: it actually makes sense. Get beyond the idea of seeing vast swaths of city lawns turned into waving fields of grain ready for threshing. That isn't going to happen, no matter how much Coun. Andrea Reimer may like to get rid of lawns. (Check out the minutes of the Greenest City Action Team report. Search "lawns". It's her No. 1 wish.)

This is more about educating inner-city kids about the history of grain and where their bread comes from.

Hartley Rosen, whose group Environmental Youth Alliance is organizing the pilot project, reminded me that the history of immigration is closely tied to agriculture. The search for fertile soils and the need to produce the basic staples of life have governed us since time immemorial. Canada is one product of that; the wheat fields of the Prairie provinces were once simply prairies and now they literally one of the bread baskets of the world.

Yet there is increasingly a disconnect between where those grains come from and the browned loaves we buy in bags at the store. Just like most urban dwellers have no idea where their meat and eggs come from - or at least don't understand the connection to farming - we seem to forget that bread comes from grains which come from wheat which comes from the labour of planting, watering and harvesting.

Why is this educational concept any different than taking our kids down to the Pacific National Exhibition to look at the Holstein show cow to show where their breakfast milk comes from or seeing the pig that is destined to become bacon? Rosen points out that nobody he knows is growing urban wheat for anything other than educational purposes. It's cheaper to simply buy the loaf. But this is about symbolism. And perhaps getting rid of some over-fertilized lawns and some pesky European Chafer beetles to boot.

What most of us don't like, of course, is the constant public handouts groups want in order to prove their point. This year the city is doling out $100,000 for 16 projects, including $5,000 to Lawns to Loaves, $7,500 for a co-operative Vancouver Tool Library, $10,000 for a food scraps diversion program for the West End Farmer's Market and other worthy causes. It's a semantic argument none of us can win as to whether that's the best use of taxpayers' money.

It irks people when they see their taxes being used as make-work or make-a-point projects. There will always be those who think the city should get out of such business. But Reimer remembers when people were aghast at the idea of giving the fledgling local farmer's market a $5,000 grant to get started. It has become de rigueur for cities and towns now to have such local weekend fairs.
This year the city could have handed out half a million dollars in its Greenest City Neighborhood Grants program. You can read the .pdf report here. It also includes a list of all the projects the staff red-circled and said no to. For now.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
Good grief. If this is all Anton and NPA can come up with, it shows how desperate and empty of ideas they really are. It is only 5 grand.

Anyway, how come this forum is being used for ridiculous trivial partisan attacks? Lets leave these non-troverseries to the City Circus boys.
I've said it before, I've said it again VACC is tying themselves awfully close to Vision. BTW, nice letter in the Courier last week. Fortunately even that paper sees some unwholesomeness in those ties, that jlousa pointed out.

...However, despite the odd disagreement, Robertson and the VACC remain politically tight. Which leads back to the $15,500 green grant earmarked for the VACC. Turns out, the VACC plans to funnel the $15,500 to SHIFT Urban Cargo Delivery, a downtown delivery business that uses tricycles to transport goods. Why? Because SHIFT wants the money. But only non-profit societies such as the VACC are eligible for city grants. Incidentally, SHIFT was co-founded by Graham Anderson, a VACC board member and contributor to the Vancouver Observer, an online newspaper founded by Linda Solomon, sister of Joel Solomon, a wealthy investor and Robertson’s main moneyman. As an Observer columnist, Anderson has praised Robertson’s cycling policies.

While unseemly, it’s all legal...

Read more: http://www.vancourier.com/Mayor+Robe...#ixzz1PP4flAAH

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Last I heard Canada is one of if not the biggest wheat producers in the world....
Umm No

Down the list @ #5 with several countries producing many times more than Canada.

What Canada does produce is some outstanding varieties of Wheat that are quite valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
I said it before our mayor is a moron.
Well there is that Yes.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 4:01 AM
Transit User

I think why these gestures annoy people is because they spend time and energy on small issues that are not going to do much for the big picture. Growing commodity class foods on your lawn is just a gimmick. If you really want to do something get a hot house set up and start growing veggies.

As for the greenest city business if city council really wanted to do something they should:
a) focus on housing, including drastically raising minimum standards for efficiency in both apartment buildings (all glass towers, really?) and stand alone housing. Also encourage retrofits (which admittedly they do). Make things mandatory from efficiency standpoint. If we are already paying insane real estate prices, at least make builders do something good by providing high quality construction as opposed to crap.
b) Preserve industrial and commercial lands within the city as these will be needed sooner or later.
c) Focus on commercial traffic. Encourage the use of waterways as opposed to heavy trucks to ship containers and bulk goods around, etc.
d) Work on improving transit.
e) Look into impact of raising sea levels and start planning to deal with it.

Those would be the biggies and they will get us somewhere. The chickens, bees and grain are personal hobbies - nice to have, but not city business.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 5:13 AM

Vancouver burns and Mayor Wheatseed is nowhere to be seen...

Old Posted Jun 16, 2011, 5:39 AM
loafing in lotusland

One of the most interesting things about Japan that I noticed is that there are rice fields everywhere. EVERYWHERE. And they're small, wedged in between buildings,

Seemed to work well and they have a real cottage industry in people selling goods they grew themselves.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics