HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 2:10 AM
Show me the blueprints

He's a compoooter

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 3:57 AM

Miracle Mile and Century City from my office @ Wilshire and Western. Clearly the iPhone camera has issues capturing the setting sun

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Wow, Talbot's managed to make it onto DC's Rodeo Drive.
I wouldn't judge DC's shopping based on a Talbots...between Friendship Heights, Georgetown, and Tysons, they have the high end shopping under control.

Remember, as our city goes broke, they just keep getting richer, and richer, and richer...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Miracle Mile and Century City from my office @ Wilshire and Western. Clearly the iPhone camera has issues capturing the setting sun

Still came out pretty nice I would say.

Since you work at the corner, do you know if a Famima is opening up there soon? I asked the store manager at the Famima in DTLA and he told me that they are opening up one in K-Town. He said he believed it will be at Wilshire/Western? I can see it in the Solair...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post
Since you work at the corner, do you know if a Famima is opening up there soon? I asked the store manager at the Famima in DTLA and he told me that they are opening up one in K-Town. He said he believed it will be at Wilshire/Western? I can see it in the Solair...
I haven't heard anything about a Famima there but I'll poke around tomorrow and see what I can see. There are a bunch of retail spots at the Solair that are of yet unoccupied.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 3:24 PM

New plan for Century Plaza hotel adds two 46-story towers (LA Times)

This looks like a good addition to Century City but it is unfortunate so much of the land immediately around the metro station is devoted to the automobile or open space. There is a finite amount of land within 1/4 to 1/2 mile around this proposed metro station and it looks like a lot of the land is committed to the driveways and turn-arounds surrounding the hotel.

New plan for Century Plaza hotel adds two 46-story towers

The $1.5-billion project by owner Michael Rosenfeld, who had originally planned to raze the Space Age hotel in Century City, would be one of the largest real estate developments on the Westside in decades.

The Hyatt Regency Century Plaza hotel, built in 1966, had been in danger of demolition. (Ken Hively, Los Angeles Times / April 24, 2009)

Roger Vincent and Martha Groves
Los Angeles Times
August 11, 2010

After backing down from a contentious proposal to demolish the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza hotel, the owner has unveiled plans to construct a high-rise real estate development next to the Space Age landmark that would transform the tenor of Century City's streets and dramatically alter the skyline.

The $1.5-billion proposal calls for two 46-story skyscrapers holding hundreds of condominiums and offices to be built behind the renowned hotel on Avenue of the Stars. Nearly half of the guest rooms would be replaced by luxury condos as part of a top-to-bottom makeover.

A large portion of the lobby would be hollowed out and left open in a move to connect the new buildings, shops and plazas with nearby streets and improve the flow of pedestrians. Planning and construction are slated for completion by 2014.

The proposal represents a turnabout by Los Angeles developer Michael Rosenfeld, who has earned support from preservationists who once opposed him. Rosenfeld has also won a tentative nod from the mayor and a key city councilman for his revised plans...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...030,full.story

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 5:20 PM

^^Doesn't CC have enough twins already? And it definitely needs something taller. Is there a height limit in that area?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 7:33 PM

I like the towers. In fact, for some reason, the initial renderings remind me of Pelli-designed ones.

Actually, aren't there really only one set of twins right now?

It would be kind of interesting to see how the existing Century Plaza Towers (twins) interact visually with the new set of twins directly across from them. A reflection of new against the old.

I personally think the Century Plaza Towers are two of the most beautiful/elegant skyscrapers we have in LA (save for a couple of more in DTLA like Library Tower and 777).

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 7:55 PM

Here's my response to janjamm on LA Times' comments:

BrighamYen at 12:02 PM August 11, 2010

The two Henry Cobb designed proposed towers look great! What a wonderful way to work around the very pedestrian-DISoriented layout of Century City damaged by auto-oriented public policy.

Mike Eveloff and his minions are ridiculous and borderline insane with their silly asserations that towers encroach on the residents' privacies! If that were the case, all those OTHER skyscapers in Century City would already be peering down on their roofs from high above. These paranoid residents, stuck in the 50s, need to move OUT of LA, the second largest city in country (a county of 11 million people), if they are against new development.

Seems counterintuitive doesn't it? If I were someone who longed for small town ambiance, wouldn't I move to Idaho? Or Nebraska? Why move to the second largest city in the country and demand suburbia? Or if you have "always" lived here, then it's time to move because the force of population growth and the demand for real estate will always trump your neighborhood groups. You may win "battles" but the war will continue.

Move to Helena, Montana.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 2:15 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

JRinSoCal, I believe there is a height limit for Century City, somewhere in the 650-700 ft. range. However, when one looks at the Century City North Specific Plan, there no mentions of height limits, only trip limits, which can be transfered if they are never used. But I remember reading somewhere that there was either a Specific Plan or FAA height limit on Century City around the 650-700 ft. range. Can't remember where I saw it exactly.

As for this development, the thing that excites me the most about it is the Metro stop on the corner of Century Park West and Constellation. That is the perfect spot for a Metro portal in CC, right in the thick of things, and very close to the Westfield mall. The other end of the portal should be kitty-corner from there, in the now empty lot, hopefully spurring some development there.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
As for this development, the thing that excites me the most about it is the Metro stop on the corner of Century Park West and Constellation. That is the perfect spot for a Metro portal in CC, right in the thick of things, and very close to the Westfield mall. The other end of the portal should be kitty-corner from there, in the now empty lot, hopefully spurring some development there.
Santa Monica Blvd never made sense to me as a subway stop location. Besides, if you go to the Transit Coalition forum, the "Direct Connection" is not only more effective, but cheaper.

And this integration of subway stations into future developments needs to continue.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 4:15 AM
them bones

Quote:
JRinSoCal, I believe there is a height limit for Century City, somewhere in the 650-700 ft. range. However, when one looks at the Century City North Specific Plan, there no mentions of height limits, only trip limits, which can be transfered if they are never used. But I remember reading somewhere that there was either a Specific Plan or FAA height limit on Century City around the 650-700 ft. range. Can't remember where I saw it exactly.
The approach for Santa Monica Municipal Airport maybe? Depends on the type of aircraft of course, but I could easily see how CC would have a height limit in the range you stated.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinSoCal View Post
^^Doesn't CC have enough twins already?
That was my thought too; even as a child, I felt that twin buildings seemed to be the theme of Century City. There are the aluminum gateway buildings on Ave of the Stars at Santa Monica (which I guess will be knocked down when the shopping center expands, or at least the one will be knocked down?); before they were knocked down, there was the ABC Entertainment Complex in front of the Yamasaki twin towers; there are two sets of twins on Century Park East; though the one set of twins would be a fraternal set, if that makes sense, but the other set is an identical set.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 7:36 PM
Ascension

Quote:

At least they have thought far enough ahead by placing a subway stop near Century Plaza. Hopefully, this development will spark lots of new development in CC. I love Century City but is totally soulless. It's too pretty. I said before that Century City totally reminds me of La Defense in Paris.

http://www.developpementdurablelejou...rLaDefense.jpg

I would love to see some sort of variety in terms of architecture in Century City though.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 11:56 PM
BANNED

Overall, this doesn't do much for CC. Two more soulless towers and keep the Century Plaza, which is more anonymous modernism. Converting some of the parking lots to trees and walkways is nice, but this area is not short on greenspace. It's short on streelife. It needs 3-5 story buildings to the street in a dozen areas with a few high-rises mixed in. We are looking for street life and livability, aren't we?

I don't like the stop at Century Park W and Constellation. This is far from Ave. of the Stars, which Westfield was proposing to turn into street retail and cafes (another Grand Ave?). Their proposal was to put the station on the first floor of a 40 story high-rise with a department store on the first 3 levels and direct flow into the shopping center. Self-serving, yes, but also serving the great majority of subway riders, who will be shoppers and employees of the shopping center, movie and restaurant patrons.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 2:38 PM

^ Century Park W? I didn't know there was a proposal for a station at THAT location. No matter. It won't fly, partly because it's just outside the core of Century City and next to homes, which will only feed the NIMBYS.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 4:04 PM
BANNED

I think colemonkee references a stop at CP West in his post. If the stop is really closer to Ave. of the Stars, that's better.

I think the practical height limit in CC is much lower since the NIMBY's have kept it down. As I recall, Westfiled proposed 50 on SM Blvd, but it got approved at 40.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 4:47 PM

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 4:51 PM

Yeah, one of the proposed Metro stations is actually at Constellation and Avenue of the Stars; it's even in the above rendering of the Century Plaza Hotel and proposed towers.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 6:21 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Yeah, one of the proposed Metro stations is actually at Constellation and Avenue of the Stars; it's even in the above rendering of the Century Plaza Hotel and proposed towers.
Maybe it's a 2 (or even 3) portal station?

In any event, I rode my bike to Century City yesterday and while as pretty and extremely clean as it is, there is NOTHING to do. It's very hard to get around as the streets are far too wide. The Century looks nice but as I said during construction that it belongs on Wilshire.

Speaking of Wilshire, after trudging up the Wilshire Corridor, 2 of the many condo towers stood out: The Carlyle, and The Wilshire. I know that The Carlyle is fairly new but I love it's shape. The Wilshire however is one of the more stunning towers I've seen. I love all of those condo towers (I love LA architecture from the 1980's).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations