HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 4:49 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 7:46 PM
ILYR

Looks like the steel framing of the west part of the new terminal is coming up. New photos and updates from http://www.james2010.ca/blog/article/53.
Here is one of the framing.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:22 AM

There's one main thing I'm really disappointed with the future terminal, it seems to have the same layout as the current terminal. Who's with me? anyone, anyone? Ferris Bueller?
And I wish it didn't look so square, But working at the airport for the past 3 years, I will welcome anything right now.
It better have shiny floors, and cool things in it.

Courtesy of http://www.james2010.ca/home

Last edited by pegcity; Nov 19, 2007 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:37 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lol

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 1:26 AM
Closed account

The dude in the leather jacket and long hair looks just like Kim Thayil from Soundgarden!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 5:01 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
The dude in the leather jacket and long hair looks just like Kim Thayil from Soundgarden!
Maybe its implied that he would come to visit if we had a new terminal.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 12:19 PM

Airport hotel plan taking off?
Lakeview says $28-million deal could be sealed by month's end
Wed Dec 19 2007
By Murray McNeill

LAKEVIEW Management Inc. is close to striking a deal to construct a new 100-room luxury hotel at Winnipeg's James Armstrong Richardson International Airport and is also negotiating to build a six-storey office building next door.

Lakeview Chief Executive Officer Jack Levit said he is in talks with Winnipeg Airports Authority officials on both proposals, and hopes to seal an agreement by the end of this month.

However, a WAA spokesperson refused to confirm Tuesday that a deal is close.

"We're open for business," Christine Alongi said. "But we're in negotiations with lots of people about lots of things. Until we're in a position to announce something... we don't tend to chat about it."

Levit said Lakeview is planning a $20-million, seven-storey hotel directly across from the new terminal building under construction and slated to open in early 2010. It is also proposing a new $8-million, 50,000-square-foot office building to bridge the gap between the new hotel and Lakeview's existing airport hotel, The Four Points Sheraton Winnipeg.

He said the office building would have banquet and meeting rooms on the main floor and offices on the five upper floors.

If Lakeview's proposal is accepted, all three buildings would be connected at the ground-floor level.

The new airport hotel and office building are among three new projects Lakeview aims to get underway in 2008. The other is a previously announced 11-storey, 110-room all-suites hotel on St. Mary Avenue just west of the Winnipeg Convention Centre.

Levit said Lakeview hopes to start building the two hotels this April or May. Work on the office building -- if approved -- likely wouldn't start until next fall, but the plan would be to complete all three projects around the same time -- late 2009 or early 2010.

The $18-million downtown hotel would be connected via second-floor walkways to both the Convention Centre and the office building at 400 St. Mary.

Levit said a second hotel is needed at the airport because The Four Points Sheraton is usually full four days of the week and is turning customers away.

"The demand right now is for about 200 rooms," he said, and the Four Points Sheraton has 132.

Levit said Lakeview originally planned to do a $10-million expansion and upgrade of the existing hotel, which is about 122 metres away from the site of the new terminal building. But when the land across from the new terminal became available, it decided to try building a second hotel instead.

"We feel we should be right across from the terminal and people can make their choice of either hotel."

The new hotel would be a luxury hotel to differentiate it from the Four Points Sheraton. Levit said while it wouldn't qualify as a five-star hotel -- it would need to have at least 200 rooms to do that -- it would have all the trappings of a five-star facility.

The president of the Manitoba Hotel Association said having a second hotel at the airport makes sense for Winnipeg because there is a growing demand for hotel rooms near the airport. Winnipeg's overall hotel-occupancy rate has been edging upward over the last seven years despite the addition of about 1,000 new rooms.

"I wouldn't want to characterize it as a boom," Jim Baker said. "It's more a slow and steady growth. It's the Manitoba way."

While Levit is convinced there's also a need for an airport office building, one local commercial real estate agent isn't so sure.

Wayne Johnson, of Royal LePage Dynamic Real Estate Services, said the vacancy rate at another office building near the airport -- the Airport Executive Centre at 1780 Wellington Ave. -- has been climbing over the past year and now sits at just under 33 per cent.

Although that building was built in the late 1980s, "it is a good comparison," Johnson said.

"Two years is lots of lead time (to find tenants)," he said. "But I think there will be difficulties finding enough tenants."

The big three
Here are some details of the three new commercial projects Winnipeg-based
Lakeview Management Inc. hopes to launch in 2008:

New airport hotel
Proposed location: Directly across from the new airport terminal building now under construction
Size: Seven storeys, about 100 rooms
Type of hotel: Luxury
Projected cost: $20 million
Projected start of construction: April or May, 2008
Projected completion: Late 2009 or early 2010

New airport office building
Proposed location: Adjacent to new airport hotel
Size: Six storeys and about 50,000 square feet
Projected cost: About $8 million
Projected start of construction: Fall 2008

New downtown hotel
Location: South side of St. Mary Avenue, immediately west of Winnipeg Convention Centre
Size: 11-storeys, 110 rooms
Projected cost: $18 million
Projected start of construction: April or May, 2008
-- Source: Lakeview Management Inc.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 2:00 AM
Capitalist

The J.A.R. is taking off..

A second airport hotel and finally a we get a business centre connected to the terminal.

I am completely stoked!!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 4:54 AM
Capitalist

The Airport is going to be an amazing site the next couple years, with all the development in the area.

- New Terminal Building. (absoluteley stellar)

- New Luxury Hotel (no design pics yet)

- New Office Building and Business Centre (no design pics yet)

- New Post Office facility.

- Possible alterations to the current terminal building once the new one is comeplete, if it is leased by new tenents, such as Red River College.

.. among other projects I am sure will follow.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 5:44 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
The Airport is going to be an amazing site the next couple years, with all the development in the area.

- New Terminal Building. (absoluteley stellar)

- New Luxury Hotel (no design pics yet)

- New Office Building and Business Centre (no design pics yet)

- New Post Office facility.

- Possible alterations to the current terminal building once the new one is comeplete, if it is leased by new tenents, such as Red River College.

.. among other projects I am sure will follow.

It will also be home to a new bus terminal.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 5:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
It will also be home to a new bus terminal.
yep

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 8:02 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Modernism in mothballs?
The final location of airport's two giant artworks still uncertain

Sat Dec 22 2007 | Sitelines -- By Ian Tizzard | Winnipeg Free Press

If you and your friends find yourself in the Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport this winter, you might want to make a game out of saying that name once without stumbling. After someone wins, try another stumper: Where would you put the giant pieces of art now hanging at either end of the terminal?

The future of our proud terminal building might be shaky, but preservation favours art over important buildings. Art tends to be more portable, relatively speaking. A sculpture originally made for the airport, Anne Kahane's carved wood panel of Frederick Stevenson walking across the field to his plane, as well as Alfred Pellan's painting, The Prairie, have already been moved to the nearby Western Canadian Aviation Museum following earlier renovations.

But John Graham's large aluminum, tile and Plexiglas mosaic, called Northern Lights, on the north terminal wall likely still needs a home, as does the piece on the south wall, Eli Bornstein's Structurist Relief in Fifteen Parts -- 15 white panels covered in enameled metal cubes, covering about 60 square metres. If Winnipeg's first jetport falls under demolition, they will have to be relocated.

Our international airport terminal, which opened in 1964, may or may not still stand in a few years. With a replacement terminal coming in 2009, neither the owner, Transport Canada, nor the tenant, Winnipeg Airports Authority, needs the structure we use now. The Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office is considering giving it protected status, as it does all threatened federal buildings that are more than 40 years old.

"It was one of the best airports in Canada, if not North America," says Bornstein from his home in Saskatoon.

Bernard Flanam, writing about Winnipeg's airport in the anthology Winnipeg Modern, says the terminal's striking modernist design -- complete with customized art -- represented our city as forward-thinking and cosmopolitan.

Bornstein never thought the south terminal wall was a good place for his structurist relief piece.

"It was never lit the way I intended. They've had airplanes and balloons hanging in front of it, and bank machines and other junk along the floor under it."

Christine Alongi, communications director for the Winnipeg Airports Authority, says the WAA knows of Bornstein's concern.

"We've heard from him, but it's still two years away and we haven't made a decision yet," she says, offering assurances that any necessary decision will involve a community of interested parties, including the artist.

"The only thing I got from them is that there's some commitment to preserve it," says Bornstein. That makes him happy, "provided it's preserved properly," he says, although he fears that "preserve" could simply mean finding space in storage.

Bornstein gets local help from Oliver Botar, an associate professor at the University of Manitoba school of art. Botar says he's "pretty confident" the pieces will be treated well. He says Northern Lights could be Graham's "masterpiece," and says Bornstein's piece represents geometric abstract work unmatched in the rest of the province.

"With neo-modernism so big internationally, it would be a shame to mothball such excellent examples of high modernism here," he says. "But they haven't provided a place in the new terminal for it," he adds, and predicts it will be a challenge to find a place for such huge art.

ian.tizzard@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 8:03 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I found this on james2010.ca

Another cool shot of the old terminal with artwork in the background.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 8:08 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I also found this bit of news regarding the new terminal to be interesting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2010.ca
In the rendering below, you can see that there are little skylights as well as the big ones. I guess the architect’s vision was that it was like a "constellation" which is really cool. What I learned today is that there is some sort of LED lighting going into the little ones that will change colours periodically. I think that is going to look absolutely gorgeous in the evening, as well as a window through to the sky right beside them! Try to visualize- it’s going to be great!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 8:11 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

why not make a home for it downtown?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 8:12 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Modernism in mothballs?
The final location of airport's two giant artworks still uncertain

ian.tizzard@freepress.mb.ca

May I suggest a very dark room in the basement...

This being a new terminal it should commision for new exiting art, not old wall hangings which look like they're from a failed 1960's gameshow.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 8:12 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
I also found this bit of news regarding the new terminal to be interesting..
kool

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 8:13 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

A couple of other interesting vids on james2010.ca

Tour of the Airport Model:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n9vtpsenaw

Potential North Pole Cargo Route:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evbm5Hlo-_M

And lastly, my favourite video on the site of a simulated baggage claim complete with shagadelic soundtrack:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAhh2iy_iJA

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 8:16 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

only ... to post youtube vids... you do this...

[ youtube]8n9vtpsenaw[/youtube]

[ youtube]evbm5Hlo-_M[/youtube]

the bit you put between the tags is whats after the = at the end of the url
and btw the model vid is posted at the top of the page...

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 22, 2007, 8:20 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
May I suggest a very dark room in the basement...

This being a new terminal it should commision for new exiting art, not old wall hangings which look like they're from a failed 1960's gameshow.
I have to respectfully disagree..

Those murals are from the dawn of the Jet age; A time when this town was still forward thinking and cosmopolitan enough to realize the value of public art.

All we have today is childish painted concrete animals along Broadway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan