HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Waldorf=Astoria Hotel & Residences Montreal in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Montreal Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Montreal Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 11:55 PM
Ciao tutti

I passed by the other day. My photos. ,

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 10:24 PM
Look at me!

Are they fixing up the medical arts building for a reason related to the Waldorf? Or is this is singular, unrelated renovation. Anyone know?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 4:31 AM

I had heard that this project was dead...I hope it's not true

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 4:39 AM
Look at me!

When and where did you hear that?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 4:50 AM

Smile

As best as I can recall it was in a newspaper article. I am looking for it...

It may also be my bad...according to the Waldorf website it's supposed to be open in 2015
http://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/en...ngs/index.html

Last edited by Jringe01; Dec 28, 2011 at 4:53 AM. Reason: meant to add a comment before posting

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 5:04 AM

This person doesn't seem to think it's gonna happen but that is just an opinion

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/201...n-the-waldorf/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 9:06 PM
The good old days are now

We haven't really heard anything about this project in a long time. I am quite skeptical about it ever being built at this point.

In the mean time, here are some photos of the Waldorf Astoria Berlin. The Montreal proposal looks lame in comparison.

Waldorf-Astoria, Berlin by pcky, on Flickr

Waldorf Astoria at Zoo by tripberlin, on Flickr

0002 Zoofenster FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS 2011 by Festival of Lights, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 6:43 AM
testify

if you want to compare it to mtl, then the pointe-à-callière museum is a better reference. anyway, we'll pretty much never be able to stack up against berlin, better just to try to do the best we can.

the modifications above could be related to the waldorf, for sure they're related to some future development though - that's a new stairwell, meaning that the building is being brought up to code in such a way as not to impede some future adjacent structure. obviously not clear whether this is anticipated sooner or later, but we've an incredibly large lot there and it seems the expectation is of a future development.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 8:26 AM
Look at me!

< very insightful post. And I agree that's it's clear something is being planned for this lot.

But the Waldorf won't be it. Sadly.

On a different note, does anyone know who owns this lot?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2012, 2:43 PM

why, why, why two towers give me a tall one please. it's like in Montreal we are afraid of Hasteners. There is no logic to construct two towers. A tower provides more space at ground level. A single tower very high gains in prestige.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 9:56 PM

The original render. The first you've all seen, the second is now publicly available. I prefer it to version 2.0.

http://www.neufarchitectes.com/7-hot...el-Residences/

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 10:27 PM

I like it better too

Old Posted Dec 15, 2012, 11:09 PM
Look at me!

Hideous. Faux-mansard is so 1990's. And bad 1990's. If you're gonna build a new tower, build a new tower don't pretend it to be old. This is not Laval.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Hideous. Faux-mansard is so 1990's. And bad 1990's. If you're gonna build a new tower, build a new tower don't pretend it to be old. This is not Laval.
Gotta disagree, I think it will integrate better with, and compliment, the adjacent heritage building this way. It also won't look too out of place in the Montreal skyline given the diversity of rooftops we've got going on. I'm glad we haven't gone the exclusively glass box route. That area along Sherbrooke by the museum is also a high end district from the turn of the century, so a building inspired by the original Waldorf Astoria honours the existing urban fabric in a way that I think is very respectful considering what glaring eye sores the sixties towers around there are. A more classic design draws attention to the right architectural tradition in that neighbourhood, rather than the wrong one.

Last edited by BIMBAM; Dec 16, 2012 at 8:34 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Gotta disagree, I think it will integrate better with, and compliment, the adjacent heritage building this way. It also won't look too out of place in the Montreal skyline given the diversity of rooftops we've got going on. I'm glad we haven't gone the exclusively glass box route. That area along Sherbrooke by the museum is also a high end district from the turn of the century, so a building inspired by the original Waldorf Astoria honours the existing urban fabric in a way that I think is very respectful considering what glaring eye sores the sixties towers around there are. A more classic design draws attention to the right architectural tradition in that neighbourhood, rather than the wrong one.
Agreed! It's a modern twist on a classic design, it will fit in well when it's built.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Lol Seriously, they built a retirement home in 2007 that looks like it was built in the 70's - 80's. They really have to start to urbanize.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 6:17 PM

The old design reminds me of the One Worldwide Plaza in NYC, a very nice 90's building.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 6:19 PM

Quote:
I fully agree. This is not Laval nor is it near the Pointe-Claire Holiday Inn where there is also an ugly faux-mansard top. i understand the reference to the original Waldorf in NY in the design but it should be a stylised reference not a style that belongs to the 20's or 30's. The best buildings (those that age well) are built in the style of their time. A good example in the Cartier that ages well and that I so much prefer to the Lepine horrors we have in Montréal.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 7:06 PM

Neoclassical architecture, Tudor Revival, etc were all imitations of earlier architectural styles, and were all very successful, IMO.

Today the problem seems to be more related to the expense of quality materials and little details than anything else. Copying old styles properly has become cost prohibitive.

One Worldwide Plaza is a pretty good attempt and could actually pass for a 1930s building from a distance.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2012, 7:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redkey View Post
The old design reminds me of the One Worldwide Plaza in NYC, a very nice 90's building.

A lovely building for sure. The Waldorf salad for Montreal does not compare to this above beauty.

fawltytowers
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive